THE Idiot's Guide to Kitbashing

WraithVerge

I meant i felt as if I was being ignored. Cause everyone is so quick to answer questions but... this will be post #3 of the same question with no response.....

Dying -

Is this the proper thread to ask about dying plastics, and of course Transformers specifically?

I want to dye a TFA Jazz RED! - but just the car parts.

Dying would create the same matte kind of look that the TFA figs have in general right?

I think i read somewhere that plain RIT clothing dye works well - any suggestions here?

Is there another thread about it?

cross posted in the painting thread....

Yes, RIT dye works. It's what most kitbashers use to dye plastics. A common additive they usually add to it is a little acetone as well to allow the plastic to absorbe the dye better. Transtopia used to have a "how-to" article on dying plastics before it went down. Luckily, Sector 70 labs has TF Master's article saved and posted in its FAQ here: http://sector70.com/articles_dying.asp. I hope this helps.

I meant i felt as if I was being ignored. Cause everyone is so quick to answer questions but... this will be post #3 of the same question with no response.....

Dying -

Is this the proper thread to ask about dying plastics, and of course Transformers specifically?

I want to dye a TFA Jazz RED! - but just the car parts.

Dying would create the same matte kind of look that the TFA figs have in general right?

I think i read somewhere that plain RIT clothing dye works well - any suggestions here?

Is there another thread about it?

cross posted in the painting thread....

Sorry Hunter; I thoght I had answered your question when you asked me in the shoutbox. My apologies man. I wasn't trying to ignore you.

:thumb

Thanks Tramp!

Haven't seen you around in a while!

You're welcome. I pop in now and again but spend most of my time on other boards or working on projects..

:argh

I've been soaking my TFA Jazz pieces in a dark red dye bath for 2 hours and don't see any real progress!!

Anyone know how long this should go? should i just leave it over night?

I am also unsure on the temp... i turned the heat off.. but should i be reheating it regularly?

According to TFMaster's guide, yes, you are supposed to keep heating it regularly as well a stirring constantly to make sure the plastic doesn't settle on the bottom. Here's is what the article said about heating:

Now,with heating your batch make sure you have it set to well under boil for 5-10 min as needed.When you start your batch leave it running after you add your parts in to take the color but keep stirring constantly.You let the parts settle to the bottom or have the heat too high,it will warp the plastic.After stirring for about five min,check your parts.Are they taking the dye?Good,we should be on the right track and the parts stating to darken about now.Turn it off and continue to stirr and checking randomly untill the parts are the depth of color you want it to be.If the batch starts to boil,turn it off and let it settle for a min.Keep stirring your parts though.Again,warpage is bad.

Don't turn off the heat until it starts taking the dye. Also, did you add a little acetone? That is supposed to help the plastic take the dye better.

According to TFMaster's guide, yes, you are supposed to keep heating it regularly as well a stirring constantly to make sure the plastic doesn't settle on the bottom. Here's is what the article said about heating:

Now,with heating your batch make sure you have it set to well under boil for 5-10 min as needed.When you start your batch leave it running after you add your parts in to take the color but keep stirring constantly.You let the parts settle to the bottom or have the heat too high,it will warp the plastic.After stirring for about five min,check your parts.Are they taking the dye?Good,we should be on the right track and the parts stating to darken about now.Turn it off (ok Heat off) and continue to stirr and checking randomly untill the parts are the depth of color you want it to be.If the batch starts to boil (Boil? wtf? with the heat off?) ,turn it off and let it settle for a min.Keep stirring your parts though.Again,warpage is bad.

Don't turn off the heat until it starts taking the dye. Also, did you add a little acetone? That is supposed to help the plastic take the dye better.

I did this for an hour - but here (see bold) is where it confused me completely....

And no... no acetone....