THE Idiot's Guide to Kitbashing

WraithVerge

Just to ask...

What is the best way to remove the 'metallic' paint apps from a LoC figure? The plastic feels and looks different from the normal TF plastic, and I was considering repainting an extra LoC Starscream into another character...

Just to ask...

What is the best way to remove the 'metallic' paint apps from a LoC figure? The plastic feels and looks different from the normal TF plastic, and I was considering repainting an extra LoC Starscream into another character...

You might be able to scratch it off(not the best way)but it worked with some of the autobot symbols on some energon figures...just a suggestion.

Hrms... I tried (no dremel, unfortunately), but got no results. And if I tried anything like a hobby knife to scratch it off, I'd also scratch off the surface detail.

Any other suggestions?

If you're going to paint it why not paint over the paint you want to get off?

This is my first attempt to do a repaint of my Alt Prowl and used Kustom Kolor from Walmart. Couldn't find the Krylon Fusion paint.

Anyway, I sprayed the paint using the Testors airbrush kit. The primer and clear coat was sprayed from aerosol cans. I waited a day between the primer, paint, and clear coat to dry. It all looked great then I noticed that the blue paint I used is cracked underneath the clear coat. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Cracking paint is a nuisance. Had to endure it myself and all I could do to help it was sand it down and repaint.

It can have several different causes: different types of paint that don't work together, wrong temperature, plastic problems, humidity, etc.... Wraithverge discusses this somewhere on the first few pages of this guide. Suggest you look it up :thumb

That is a great guide! Been looking over it quite a while now before I tried my repaint and there are tons of useful stuff in there.

How did you finally manage to stop the cracking paint? Did you actually have to wait a week before the recoat? Thanks again for the input, Rawhide!

That is a great guide! Been looking over it quite a while now before I tried my repaint and there are tons of useful stuff in there.

How did you finally manage to stop the cracking paint? Did you actually have to wait a week before the recoat? Thanks again for the input, Rawhide!

Well, basically, I got very frustrated and annoyed because I had hoped to really getsome work done and the paint started cracking on me.

At the time I couldn't quite remember what WV had written, looked it up and discovered that nothing really applied to my problem. I went to the local model kit store (I used Revell/Humbrol model kit paint) and they told me that my problem was probably that the paint was stored to close to the radiator: which causes some changes is in the paint which makes it unsuitable to use through an airbrush).

I bought new paint (which I since then have stored out of direct sunlight and no-where near a source of heat), sanded the whole thing down anew, and redid everything (including the washing of the parts and the masking). Haven't had the problem since. No cracking of paint what-so-ever, even though I'm using the same kind of primer & paint on the same parts.

That, for me, was really the problem. My attic isn't to warm around Christmas. Had to really have the radiator pump heat into the attic which resulted in exposing the paint to too high a temperature after which I couldn't spray it anymore (brushing still worked)

But before you go through the frustration of sanding and repainting, please make sure it's really necessary.