THE Idiot's Guide to Kitbashing

WraithVerge

I am dyeing the weapons on energon Arcee, and I was wondering how much acetone and water to use for a such a small project.  I have a box of rit dye and was unsure about the measurements.

Just for those who are looking for Krylon Fusion, and are in Canada (I'm in Montreal):

Wal-Mart has your regular colors for Krylon Fusion (red, yellow, orange, white, black, burgundy, blue, purple, tan, green, and a couple others), but lacks some of the other sub-lines that Krylon produces under the "Fusion".  Furthermore, I've only seen like 3-4 colors of Krylon Interior/Exterior there too (gold, silver, green, and something else).

I just found out today that Canadian Tire sells some of the other colors of Krylon Interior/Exterior, as well as some of the other sub-lines of Fusion.  I found and picked up some different "grays" of Interior/Exterior, as well as Fusion Nickel Shimmer.  At least that'll make up for the lack of a standard "gray" in the regular Fusion line.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone, since I recall some people having trouble finding Krylon paints around.

note: dont try to buff an ingraving with the buffing wheel on zippos.......unless you are just going for a gold.........did not like the outcome

• 3 weeks later...
UPDATE ON MP PRIME's PINS: the pin runs from ONE side of the waist to the OTHER!!!! Put a small nail punch in one side, and tap it with a hammer. it should come out on the OTHER side of prime's waist. I came across this examining my MP prime. then just remove the pins in the side panels on his waist.

Monty Python: "I'm not dead yet!"

Sorry to be out of the loop for the last couple of months; I've been working flat out and trying to move symultaneously. I think this is the first chance I've had to sit down and start reading the thread again! ^_^

As for my MP-01 and the continuing saga of the waist pins... what I did was clamp the leg section to a table, and then hold my soldering iron to the pin. The pin was getting fairly hot, so far as I could tell... it just wasn't enough to dislodge the pin. (Taking into account new findings, this may not be a surprise. ^_^)

As for the nick I created in the process... it's not serious at all. Totally insignificant. Nonetheless, I will carry it to the grave as my secret shame. *sob*

I tried to work out a way of drilling the aforementioned holes into the waist, going from the top (i.e. where the connector to the torso is) and parallel to the front edge of the waist section, drilling diagonally down. I've got the equipment to make it work, but the angle needs to be so precise that it frightens me. Not to mention, I'm worried that I might end up drilling through part of the internal mechanism. So I've held off on this particular plan so far.

Now, if I understand properly, then... the two pins on each side are, in fact, one long pin? GYAH! ^_^ This was sort of my first summisation; so what I did was try to slip a thin piece of plastic inbetween the flaps and the waist to test for the pin; it passed pretty far between the two, so I figured the pin was short. That nick was for nothing, oh noes! (j/k ^_^)

So... if I understand this correctly... all I need to do is basically hammer out the pin from one side to the other? (And then set about resetting the ratcheting mechanism.)

As an aside... am I the only one that thinks the waist connector between the legs and torso is, well, a bit questionable? I might have mentioned this before... it just seems to me that it's kind of small, and doesn't secure very well, thus making it possible to torque the screw out of the thing. I don't know; it just seems a little weird that so much effort went into the rest of the model, and then what is arguably the connector with the most stress on it is this tiny little piece of plastic and a diddly screw! ^_^

Anyway, I need to get back to work... TY for your continuing advice and input, it is highly valued and greatly appreciated. ^___^

- JOP

Ok some questions....

What does krylon fusion say krylon fusion on it?  I know stupid question...

My other one is which is better testors or the krylon fusion?

I'm not sure I understand your first question, but I'll give my 2 cents on the second...

Testors vs Krylon Fusion:

Testors:

Pros: cheap, easily available in most areas, available in bottles or spray cans, available in a large variety of colors, available as both acrylics and enamels.

Cons: Average durability, contents of bottles dry out pretty darn fast.

Krylon Fusion:

Pros: chemically bonds with plastic and is one of the most durable paints (on plastics) out there, available in large spray cans, paint finish beats Testors/Tamiya paints in general if sprayed on properly.

Cons: Limited range of colors available, not available in bottles for hand-brushing, only available in enamels.

Take your pick from there.  Testors is definitely more "convenient" in most aspects; but if Krylon Fusion has the color you need, it's by far the best way to go.

Ok some questions....

What does krylon fusion say krylon fusion on it?  I know stupid question...

My other one is which is better testors or the krylon fusion?

I'm not sure I understand your first question, but I'll give my 2 cents on the second...

Testors vs Krylon Fusion:

Testors:

Pros: cheap, easily available in most areas, available in bottles or spray cans, available in a large variety of colors, available as both acrylics and enamels.

Cons: Average durability, contents of bottles dry out pretty darn fast.

Krylon Fusion:

Pros: chemically bonds with plastic and is one of the most durable paints (on plastics) out there, available in large spray cans, paint finish beats Testors/Tamiya paints in general if sprayed on properly.

Cons: Limited range of colors available, not available in bottles for hand-brushing, only available in enamels.

Take your pick from there.  Testors is definitely more "convenient" in most aspects; but if Krylon Fusion has the color you need, it's by far the best way to go.

Thanks that helped alot! :thumb

In my first question I think I was asking what krylon fusion looks like.