THE Idiot's Guide to Kitbashing

WraithVerge

Brother, I have no time to search for what I need, so I`ll make my question and I apologize if this was already asked before: prior to use the color I want for my model, what kind of base paint should I use? I mean, there`s some exactly paint for the base coat or can I use a regular paint, like Testors Enamel White Gloss Spray? (this is what I have and I`m not finding anything special for the base coat)

Thanks!

Well Brazilian what I ussually use for a base coat is flat gray you can get it at Walmart for $.99 in the regular spray paint section if you don`t have a Walmart near you just go any where that sells spray paint and get a can of flat grey it is the same kind of thing that most painters use for the base coat. If you are using a metalic main color then you might want to get a can of silver spray paint to really get a metalic feel. In fact I used regular gloss black over silver when painting a pine wood derby Batmobile I made and it turned out great.

Hey RodVTS, question for you since you made your BT Rodimus:

How did you attach the plastic Alternator pieces you used to the metal shell of the truck?  uber-super-glue?  Or did you solder on little brackets and stuff so you can clip/screw on plastic parts?  (I guess if I owned a BT, I could probably check it out myself, but I don't, unfortunately...)

Hey RodVTS, question for you since you made your BT Rodimus:

How did you attach the plastic Alternator pieces you used to the metal shell of the truck?  uber-super-glue?  Or did you solder on little brackets and stuff so you can clip/screw on plastic parts?  (I guess if I owned a BT, I could probably check it out myself, but I don't, unfortunately...)

Well for the front windshield and roof I used a screw through the middle hole that was in Alt Smokescreen`s dash board piece. For the hood I made a hinge joint that slide(which broke so I have to replace it but)and used Testors Model Super glue to glue the hinge to the hood. For the shoulders/front fenders I bolted the fenders to the Sideswipe shoulder joints I installed. The base mode is all metal except for the very bottom which bolts on. I guess what you want to know is what kind of glue I use and the answer is that I use Testors Model Super Glue  it comes in a bottle instead of a tube.

Hey WV, I've been using your steel wool method to strip some paint from some of my Alts for modification, along with some ultra-fine wet-sanding paper.  But now I have a question:  What do you use to polish these guys up and bring the shine back out?  Is there anything specific that won't harm plastic?

simple: toothpaste.

I use toothpaste to polish clear plastic, so it shouldn't harm the plastic you're using. The process for real shiny plastic is to use increasingly fine grades of sandpaper, then 0000 steel wool, then toothpaste. Then, if you want a knock-em dead shine, use future floor acrylic as the final touch.

NOTE TO TFans KBers:

I'm in the process of moving, so don't panic if I'm not around for a while. I'll be back on regularly soon!

-WV

A little "fix 'm up"-er for BT*-1 alert

I’ve posted this already elsewhere (in TF:TD) and over at Transtopia, but apparently there are still those who haven’t read that or figured it out themselves.

Due to overuse of the mold and slacking QC, Takara’s BT*-1 alert has some issues. One of these is with the connection between the upper and lower body. There remains a little gap between these body parts and it looks like the little connecting tabs don’t fit. But that’s not the problem. The problem is located near the hinge at the back of the robot that connects the upper and lower body parts. At the base of this hinge, he suffers a bit from plastic bleed (the part in the green box on the pic).

alert_mod.jpg

Now, this is a problem that’s very easily solved. Take a sharp knife and gently and carefully trim this down a bit. It needs only a little trimming and before you know it, alert’s upper and lower body connect perfectly.

Now we just have to find some solutions for the rest of his problems :D

(P.S. Before anyone asks, yes that’s Meister’s head on an alert body. However, the head doesn’t fit without some serious sanding and modding.)

• 3 weeks later...

I've use Krylon Fusion, and it's amazing stuff.  2 questions otherse who use Krylon Fusion in the projects:

1) While Krylon Fusion is available in most of the "common" colors, what do you do when you need a common color such as gray, that Krylon Fusion doesn't include?

2) Krylon Fusion is amazing on plastics, but what about other Krylon paints?  I've seen spray cans of silver and gold "Krylon Interior/Exterior" at Wal-Mart, and I was wondering if Krylon Interior/Exterior was as good as Krylon Fusion for working on kitbashes.

Okay, since I don’t feel really capable of answering your question, I was waiting for one of the others to come forward. But apparently not.

I’ve never worked with Krylon fusion myself (can’t get it over here), so all I can tell you is what I’ve heard from others. I know Wraithverge (I think somewhere in the IGTKB) has stated that, "even if it’s not fusion, krylon still is one of the best paint brands around".

I’m also aware of a topic lobo created over at Transtopia dealing with the similar problem. He tested three kinds of paint: Krylon fusion, enamel and Polycarbonate paint. Results can be seen here

Hope that helps :thumb