THE Idiot's Guide to Kitbashing

WraithVerge

Well, the weapon is beyond repair as you will soon see, but I can fix the arm with that advice....

EnergonSkywarp.jpg

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/204794/EnergonSkywarp.jpg

Skywarpjetmode.jpg

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/204794/Skywarpjetmode.jpg

Skywarpsweapons.jpg

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/204794/Skywarpsweapons.jpg

Sorry bout the webcam shots, that's all I got for now....

thnks for all the info...

EDIT: OK, so you can't wth those pics, but the gun's handle is stuck in his hand and is a bit twisted....I might be able to fix it...if I could get it out of there.....

Okay, I can't really make out the damage on the arm. If you could describe in detail the actual damage (along with closer pics, if possible.), I think I can help. But right now, it looks to me like his arm is missing at the elbow.

As for the peg being stuck in his hand, it is far from beyond repair:

1: check to see if the hole goes all the way through his hand. If so, just use a small screwdriver to GENTLY tap it out.

2: If not, using a drill smaller than the hole, GENTLY drill partway into the peg, then pull it out using the drill as an auger. (think like you're pulling out a wine-cork!)

3: to repair the handle: either find another gun with a similar-size peg, or use a piece of thick model-kit sprue  that is the same size as the peg.(the runner-tree from the frame that holds the parts.). Just cut it to length, then use devcon plastic welder to glue it into place. You can use krylon fusion to repaint the gun so no one knows it was ever damaged.

size, then drill a hole into

The arm is broken at the elbow but I can glue it back on...

As for the gun, I had to twist it out of his hand and that's how it broke.  Since it's late now, I'll try to get closer pics tomorrow for you.

Actually, I appreciate your help, but don't worry about it.  I've got another E-Starscream I can use anyway! XD  I just need to find places with the Tamiya Paints.  There aren't too many hobby stores around here.  But I will most definitely keep you updated on the progress and be sure to post the final results here!  Thanks for everything!

And if I have any more questions, I know where to go!

ok, im not totally sure if you guys already went over this and im sorry if you did. I want to make a model have chrome as the base paint. I saw some chrome paint but does that really give you a shiny chrome look? And if not what if the way to chrome something?

Okay, a few basics on chrome:

1) the chrome on most toys is applied via a vacuum-metalizing process. This requires the plastic to be absolutely grease-free. (which is why crome parts are so brittle.)

2) The "chrome" paints that are out there are not chrome per se, but particles of metal suspended in a base medium.

What these two points mean is that chrome paints will not give you the absolute same look as chrome. That being said, the closest chrome paint I have ever seen is the one put out by Krylon.

Another point: chrome paint, by its' nature, has a very tenuos hold on the plastic once applied. This means that it comes off fairly easily with repeated handling. You can try applying a sealer over it, but then it will look simply like glossy silver paint.

I don't know if you plan on this base coat being a base for another transparent color coat, or if it is going to be a base color with secondary colors as accents, but if you plan on painting it chrome, also plan on not transforming it much or handling it, as the paint is just not very durable.

Concerning having parts chromed: there are electroplating and chroming shops around, depending upon where you live. I'm not exactly sure on prices; you would have to contact them concerning that issue. The best thing to do is a few searches on good ol' google or lycos. They may charge a bit more for smaller runs of chroming, but it would all depend upon the shop.

Finally, if you do plan on using chrome paints, make ABSOLUTELY sure that the plastic surface is PERFECT; chrome paint WILL show every scratch, pit, ripple, and ALL surface imperfections. Be prepared to polish the entire surface of the model like you would transparent plastic. Otherwise, the results will be less than pretty.

Well, that's about all the info I have on this for you. I will consult with my colleagues here at IGTKB to see what they have on this. Other than that, I hope this helps you out. Good luck. :thumb

-WV

I made a Plate for my jeep. I wanted the word on it to be shiny like chrome. I used Chrome Aluminum spray paint, (thats the actual name of the color) and it actually came out shiny, like chrome. "regular" chrome paint has never worked for me.

I made a Plate for my jeep. I wanted the word on it to be shiny like chrome. I used Chrome Aluminum spray paint, (thats the actual name of the color) and it actually came out shiny, like chrome. "regular" chrome paint has never worked for me.

Yeah. But would the paint do the same on plastic?

Yeah. But would the paint do the same on plastic?

not sure, I don't see why not, but only one way to find out though. try it, what have you got to lose?