THE Idiot's Guide to Kitbashing

WraithVerge

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed someone mentioned using a soldier iron on a project, what about those "cool heat" irons that's been recently released?

Anyways, I hope this isn't mentioned in here yet(I know I've seen Hobby Lobby mentioned a few times). Where can I find Styrene, specifically, where in Hobby Lobby? I went a few weeks ago to ask about it, and they looked at me like I was an alien complete with antenna on my head, so I ended up leaving with out it. (I almost considered getting the clear frame plastic though, but it looked a bit flimsy for what I had in mind.)

Sorry if I'm asking a question that's already been answered.

Aoi

AoiJuuni,

try asking them about "sheet styrene and styrene pieces." Evergreen plastics and plastruct makes them. If they still look at you funny, chances are these cretins have never seen a model kit before in their lives.

-WV.

AoiJuuni,

try asking them about "sheet styrene and styrene pieces." Evergreen plastics and plastruct makes them. If they still look at you funny, chances are these cretins have never seen a model kit before in their lives.

-WV.

:tflaugh  I agree, most hobby stores are horrible.  If your local hobby store doesn't carry what your looking for or you don't have a store close to you, you do have some online options.  Take a look at this.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=REA&P=7

Pages and pages of styrene.  They have just about anything your looking for.  Especially sizes most stores don't carry.  I've delt with them several times in the past and their a great company.  They also have a huge selection of plastic model kits.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought an Alt Shockwave and while transforming him I pressed to hard on the hood and left a dull rub mark.  Is there a compound that I can buy to rub it out?

Yes, there is: toothpaste.

Seriously, while they have "rubbing compounds" out there for automotive finishes, these are rather expensive, and can leave a residue that is difficult to rinse off. Toothpaste is essentially a rubbing compound for your teeth; sillica (sand) in a sugar/saccarine (I THINK that's how it's spelled) paste. At any rate, it won't hurt the plastic, and it rinses with plain ol' water. I use this to polish Aircraft model canopies and other transparent plastics. Give it a try, and let me know how it works for you! Good luck with Shocky! :)

-WV

Just tried it didn't work...I think I actually created a stress mark rather than a rub mark, that is proboably why the toothpaste is not working. 

Thanks for the advice, it is good to know there is a cheap way to fix clear transparent plastic.

stress mark, huh?

okay, there's a way to fix that too. You see, the plastic, when stressed. is actually just beginning to come apart at the molecular level. what you need to do is burnish the area with a hard metal item, like a rod of some type (like the ones that come with model rocketry sets). Set the hood down on a folded-up towel, and burnish the plastic carefully. this should eliminate the mark.