THE Idiot's Guide to Kitbashing

WraithVerge

fairly strong, especially in thicker sheets. you can get it from your local hobby store.

I can't. No one carries it. Got another option?

online, plastruct and evergreen plastics are available.

Thankums, WV!

quick paint question: i been using krylon fusion paint for a custom alt, and at first it was going on smooth, but now its going on with a bit of a rough finish (i can hear the difference in the sprays)....is it cause the cans gettin empty, or am i not shaking it enough, or what?

first, check to see if it's gloss or flat (I made the mistake of picking up two mismarked cans myself). Also, you may not have had it shaken enough as you said. Additionally, make sure it's warm enough where you're spraying: moisture and temperature can seriously affect paint application.

im gonna try buying a new can tomorrow, maybe that'll help. i need a better place to spray it though, i hadda vaccuum all the little paint particles that had settled on the floor UNDERNEATH 5 layers of newspaper. lol

So should I use flat or gloss paint?

And can I spray Tamiya paint (or any non fusion) paint on Krylon fusion layer?

Lastly, should I strip of the paint of an Alt Silverstreak before fusion it white?

Note: I didn't bother reading through all the pages :)

okay, one by one;

1) flat or gloss depends on whether or not you plan on using water-slide decals. if yes, go with gloss.

2)yes. in fact, i use tamiya acrylics about as much as i do the regular ones9which is quite oftern!)

3) on fusion, it say for bare plastic, if i remember correctly.

generally, i use acryllic paints myself. they tend to be easier to apply, and you don't have to wait as long for them to dry. a word of caution though; after application, you will want to overspray them with krylon crystal-cote. this will protect them from damage from handling and wear and tear.

Okay, this should be simple:

if the ball joint is a removeable component, you can try swapping it out with one that is the correct size. However, you may have to modify the part that holds the ball joint to the body in order to fit it correctly.

if the above doesn't appeal to you, or that possibility doesn't exist, you can try this method: if the ball joint is too small for the head, you can coat the ball with plastic welder,allow it to harden, then sand and smooth it to the correct diameter. it can be a little tricky, but a good eye and a steady hand will give good results.

if it's too large, shaving it down is the option for you: merely sand or scrape the ball down to a more manageable size, then smooth it out. in either case, don't worry about getting it perfectly spherical; as long asd if fits snugly and allows full range of movement, you can get away with it being slightly less than perfect.

one thing i do NOT reccomend is resizing the ball-receptacle joint in the head. THAT takes a lot of expertise in carving and engraving, and one slip-up can ruin the entire head.( made that mistake many times myself)

okay everyone, BIG announcement for IGTKB:

As of late, i've been finding myself answering tons of questions about kitbashing, as well as trying to give out the best advice i can. While I enjoy this thoroughly, it can be a bit much to keep up with, as well as trying to write up new articles to ever-broaden the IGTBK.

Therefore, I have taken the step of enlisting the help of additional "editors" for this topic. These are people from TFans who have extensive expertise in the field of kitbashing and scratchbuilding, and whom I am completely confident can answer questions about kitbashing/scratchbuilding issues as well as devise new articles on the topic. Now, this by no means says I am leaving: i will still be writing both advice as well as articles, but i want to make sure that the Kitbash/scratchbuild community out there continues to get the best that the IGTKB can offer for resources.

The contributing editors as of right now are:

Rodimus VTS

Speedbullit

Rawhide

Dark Lord Prime

Black Arachnis

If i got any names wrong, forgot someone, or if you wish to be a contributing editor, please pm me (NICELY, remember I am human after all!) and KINDLY let me know I forgot you or included you in wrongly , ect. :lol

but with that, I now open up the idiot's guide to the new staff, and invite them to do as I have been doing for a while now: helping everyone out the best way I know how.

-WraithVerge