THE Idiot's Guide to Kitbashing

WraithVerge

fairly strong, especially in thicker sheets. you can get it from your local hobby store.

I can't. No one carries it. Got another option?

Hey WV.

I want to make a huge friggin' gun for my Brave Maximus which is bigger and more befitting a TF of his size than the official gun. Haven't yet made a real design, but I'm probably starting with my first sketches this weekend.

After reading about your 'discomfort' with Styrene I started to check what other materials I could get my hands on. A local model-kit store has sheets of Polystyrol. Is that any good (or is it just another name for Polystyrene)?

Only problem I have is that the handle of the gun should be around 9 mm (millimeter) thick, but the thickest I could find is 5 mm. Is it possible to glue two or three layers together and sand it down to get the handle to the appropriate thickness? Will that be strong enough? It is after all the part which will undergo the most stess.

Thanks.

quick paint question: i been using krylon fusion paint for a custom alt, and at first it was going on smooth, but now its going on with a bit of a rough finish (i can hear the difference in the sprays)....is it cause the cans gettin empty, or am i not shaking it enough, or what?

fairly strong, especially in thicker sheets. you can get it from your local hobby store.

I can't. No one carries it. Got another option?

online, plastruct and evergreen plastics are available.

Hey WV.

I want to make a huge friggin' gun for my Brave Maximus which is bigger and more befitting a TF of his size than the official gun. Haven't yet made a real design, but I'm probably starting with my first sketches this weekend.

After reading about your 'discomfort' with Styrene I started to check what other materials I could get my hands on. A local model-kit store has sheets of Polystyrol. Is that any good (or is it just another name for Polystyrene)?

Only problem I have is that the handle of the gun should be around 9 mm (millimeter) thick, but the thickest I could find is 5 mm. Is it possible to glue two or three layers together and sand it down to get the handle to the appropriate thickness? Will that be strong enough? It is after all the part which will undergo the most stess.

Thanks.

Polystyrol is probably another form of polystyrene.

I'm not saying it can't be used, Rawhide. I only advocate caution in it's use. I myself use it for a lot of my kitbashes. It's just that one needs to know what it can and cannot do. But your idea for thickening the gun handle should work just fine; just take it slow and be neat, you'll be okay. :)

I am planning to repaint an extra Meister to Zoom Zoom. Need help on what to do. This is my first reprint so need some guidence. Thanks

Yes, I do. There'a an entire section on repainting in the IGTKB. (this forum). But if you can't find it, here's a few tips:

1) wash the plastic to remove mold release from manufacturing

2) lightly buff the surface with 0000-grade steel wool

3) disassemble the model/toy into it's seperate components, according to color. Keep the screws in a plastic cup so you don't lose them.

4) use multiple thin coats rather than one heavy coat. It'll dry better. 1st layer: a light dusting. 2nd layer: "orange peel" (kinda incomplete: shouldn't cover totally) 3rd layer: almost heavy, but not dripping.

if you get a fingerprin in it, don't panic. just let it dry, then lightly sand it out and repaint. If you get a run, same thing, only lay it a flat as possible, so the paint spreads out a little. sometimes, it can avaoid a run altogether.

quick paint question: i been using krylon fusion paint for a custom alt, and at first it was going on smooth, but now its going on with a bit of a rough finish (i can hear the difference in the sprays)....is it cause the cans gettin empty, or am i not shaking it enough, or what?

first, check to see if it's gloss or flat (I made the mistake of picking up two mismarked cans myself). Also, you may not have had it shaken enough as you said. Additionally, make sure it's warm enough where you're spraying: moisture and temperature can seriously affect paint application.