THE Idiot's Guide to Kitbashing

WraithVerge

Ok, guys, I need the following answers staight out, and what brands to use and work best.

1. best plastic bonder/really strong glue

2. best plastic/what to form (plastic) pieces with

3. best paint-will take a lot of effort to get off

4. best thing/glaze to put on paint to keep it from coming off

5. best carving tool-I take it the dremel thing works good?

6. best (ball) joint tightener

Thanks in advance!

Ok, guys, I need the following answers staight out, and what brands to use and work best.

Thanks in advance!

Ok I'm not sure I can say the best however here's what I use.

1 Testor's Model Super Glue- dries in seconds and holds strong on plastic, metal, and even ceramics. I actually used it to glue aluminum to aluminum had to clap it and let it totally bond but it did work.

2 really depends on the piece you're trying to make for strength you'll want .40 and thicker styrene or ABS. For flexibility you'll want .20 or thinner styrene or ABS.

3 I just use cans of $.99 spray paint you can get at Wal-mart unless I need a color they don't have in which case I get what ever color can I can find around that matches closely to the color I want usually Testor's spray paints or touch up. Though I`ve heard allot of good things about Krylon Fusion.

4 I use an el cheapo clear coat that Wal-mart has in the craft section.

5 YES DREMEL is the best tool to get. You'll also want to pick up some X-acto knife sets, and a good pair of tin snips or kitchen shears for cutting the smaller plastic pieces.

6 believe it or not again Testor's model super glue. Just a drop in the joint, and then you must keep it moving for oh I'd say about 5 minutes so the glue totally coagulates.

I hope that helps. I'm sure the rest of the team can give you other suggestions. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you build.

1. I've heard Devcon works good. Which one is better?

2. Thanks!

3. Well, I'm gonna be doing a lot of small knooks and cranies, so I don't think spray paint will cut it. What's Krylon Fusion?

4. Hm. I've never heard of that. Got any details on it?

5. You mean the $30 Dremel tool? Could you point out which one? I'll mainly want it for cutting plastic, styrene, and smoothing them, and bruching them. You know.

6. Hmm. After a while will that rub off when moving the joint?

Thanks in advance!

1 for Styrene your best bet, IMO is a solvent based plastic welder like Ambroid Proweld. It's for Buterate, Styrene, ABS, and Acrylic. It's basically liquid model cement.

2 As Rodimus said, styrene, ABS anbd acrylic are the best to work with, the thicknesses determined by your needs.

3, for paints, acrylic model paints are best, IMO. They don't weaken the plastic, and are durable if you let them cure thouroughly and add a clear coat. I use mostly Tamiya Color brand, though I also use some Testors Model Master and Pactra Racing Finish as well.

4, I haven'ty used it myself, but a lot fo people swear by Future floor polish. It's an acrylic based floor polish, and is apparently very durable.

5 Definately get a Dremel tool. It is a God-send.

6 Many people use clear fingernail polish.

2. best plastic/what to form (plastic) pieces with/mold

3. best paint/marker-will take a lot of effort to get off

4. best sealer/glaze to put on paint to keep it from coming off- I can't use spray paint as I need this for small places

5. best (ball) joint tightener-something that won't flake off when you move the joint

Thanks in advance!

Bumped for update

I think most of the answers to those questions can be found by simpling reading through all 18 pages of this guide.

But nevertheless, to answer your questions:

1. Wraithverge, who started this guide, is a strong supporter of Plastic welder. You might want to try that. (I can't get that where I live so I use crazy glue which also works very good, although I did have to experiment with several types to find the one that worked best for me.)

2. As answered by both Rodimus VTS & Tramp: at a modelkit store you should be able to get styrene (model kit plastic) in various shapes and sizes. Although not as strong as the plastic that's used to make TF's, it strong enough for most kitbashing needs and has the advantage of being readily available (as said, in different shapes) and being easy to work with. Should this be to weak for you, you should try to find a store that sells ABS plastic...or you can cannabilize CD jewel boxes.

3. Since you live in the US, you have access to Krylon Fusion. (For that, I envy you :P) Krylon is apparently already highly regarded, but Fusion has the advantage of having been developed especially for harder plastics. The paint slightly dissolves the top layer of the plastic causing the paint to 'fuse' into the plastic. This gives a very strong bond and with KF being very resistant to wear you don't even need a protective coat. (Of course, the downside is that the stuff is rather toxic and the the instructions have to be followed pretty precisely.) Should you decide to use another brand/type of paint, here are some other options: polycarbonate paint, car paint or modelkit paint. Especially with the latter, the question raises itself whether to go for enamel or for acryllic. There are very good reasons for either choice. (You also have to choose to either handbrush, airbrush or use a spraycan.) Oh, yeah, there is *no* best paint. Everybody has it's preference and everyone has very good reasons for this preference.

4. Well, with Krylon Fusion you don't need a coat/sealer/whatever. With other paints you often do. Simple answer: experiment. I would argue against using modelkit coats. So far, I've had only bad experiences with this. (Personally, I went to a local paint store and simply asked. Several types of coat can be bought both in spray can as in handbrush.)

5. I prefer glue. If you can get the plastic welder then use that. Else use the glue you found worked best. Personally, I've tried nail polish and found the result severly wanting.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Do post pics of your project :thumb

Ok, guys, I need the following answers staight out, and what brands to use and work best. Please pick the best choice:

1. best plastic bonder/really strong glue choices: Devcon Welder, Testor Welder, Games Workshop Glue

2. best paint/marker-will take a lot of effort to get off choices: Krylon Fusion Paint, polycarbonate paint, car paint or modelkit paint

3. best sealer/glaze to put on paint to keep it from coming off- I can't use spray paint as I need this for small places choices: Future Floor Polish, Model sealer, gloss for plastic

4. best (ball) joint tightener-something that won't flake off when you move the joint Choices: #1's choices

Thanks in advance!

Bumped for update

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...