THE Idiot's Guide to Kitbashing

WraithVerge

okay, i think i want to touch upon a subject here in kitbashing that i feel is important:

Safety.

The Idiot's Guide to Kitbashing :Special topic-Safety.

To start, I wanted to talk about this because I feel that some kitbashers and scratchbuilders don't really give this subject much thought. I want to touch upon it because in my tenure of kitbashing, I gained several scars and my fair share of lung-damage from the "stupidity of my youth."

First of all, all of this is common sense, but it bears mentioning: when using exacto knives, dremel tools, and other tools that can cut, WATCH YOUR HANDS!!! It is all too easy, especially with the power tools, to slip and end up giving yourself a nastly little reminder of your current project. Keep in mind that the exacto knives are SURGICALLY sharp, and slice through flesh with almost no effort. if you're using one, and you're cutting through a tough part, DON'T press as hard as you can.instead, take your time with it. otherwise, the blade will either cut right through the part AND your fingers, or it will skip out of the cut channel, and end up gouging YOU. In fact, for heavy work, I STRONGLY recommend a heavy pair of work gloves.

Secondly, WEAR PROTECTION FOR YOUR EYES WHEN USING POWER TOOLS! I almost lost an eye because one of my dremel tool's cutting wheels shattered in my face. It was only because I was wearing safety glasses that I wasn't permanently maimed. I CANNOT stress the importance of this ENOUGH. Your eyes are irreplaceable, and VITAL to so many other things besides kitbashing.

Third, WHEN WORKING WITH ANY SORT OF CHEMICALS, WHETHER THEY BE PAINTS, GLUES OR CLEANERS ANS SOLVENTS, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ADEQUATE VETILLATION!!!

I learned this the hard way, as I used to spray my work indoors on a regular basis. now my lungs bother me with periods of bronchitis, asthma attacks, and Lord knows if I will end up with lung cancer or emphysema at some point in the future. So I'm PLEADING with the rest of you out there: even a SMALL amount of exposure can be more than enough to at the very least sensitize you to the chemical, and at worst give you cancer. So when working with these chemicals, make sure that:

1) you have adequate ventillation

2) you wear respiratory protection for yourself

3) you cover your hands (gloves) if you plan on working closely with these substances

4) if you get anything on you, WASH IT OFF IMMEDIATELY!! and;

5) if you get dizzy, nauseous, or rapid heartbeat, stop what your doing and get IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION!!!

Keep in mind throughout all of this; you want to enjoy your hobby, not have it be the end of you. hopefully, these tips wil help everyone here keep from doing some of the same stupid crap I used to.

-WraithVerge

I personally would recommend Devcon plastic welder, as it is a lot stronger and far more resillient than even the current run of epoxies on the market. Super glues tend to be too brittle, and contact cement is a royal pain to work with.

I personally would recommend Devcon plastic welder, as it is a lot stronger and far more resillient than even the current run of epoxies on the market. Super glues tend to be too brittle, and contact cement is a royal pain to work with.

Thanks! Where is this available?

Hey WV I`m back thanks to SFC for the manual revaidation.I would also like to touch on safety I work in a warehouse and we are issued special gloves for when we are cutting they are made of a kevlar knit. I`m sure that there is some web site out there for safety supplies. I recomend the kevlar knit gloves because they have saved my fingers numerous times. They are made from the same material as the bullet proof vests the police wear. Now I`m not sating they`ll stop bullets they`re not that thick but they will keep your knives out of your skin.

Thanks! Where is this available?

Wal-mart usually carries it, but if you live in an area that doesn't have a wal-mart, then try your local hardware store.

Hey WV I`m back thanks to SFC for the manual revaidation.I would also like to touch on safety I work in a warehouse and we are issued special gloves for when we are cutting they are made of a kevlar knit. I`m sure that there is some web site out there for safety supplies. I recomend the kevlar knit gloves because they have saved my fingers numerous times. They are made from the same material as the bullet proof vests the police wear. Now I`m not sating they`ll stop bullets they`re not that thick but they will keep your knives out of your skin.

I've heard of those types of gloves. Thanks for the info, Rodimus. BTW, for working with chemicals, i've been told that there's a type of neoprene glove out there that is excellent for protection against most chemicals today. i'll have to look into it a bit further.