Battery Corrosion? Help Please!

Reluttr

Does anyone here happen to know a bit more about alkaline battery leaks? Because I got a figure on eBay and they apparently just left the battery's in it and let them explode and leak out. I didn't notice it at first when I was unpacking and inspecting my haul for today. Meaning I potentially touch the corrosion or the area around the corrosion and then touched the other figures in my lot, including a FP CA-05...

Just how caustic and long lasting is alkaline battery corrosion usually? Like will just touching it then another figure be enough to pose any danger to the plastic on the second figure I touched in the long run? Also is the plastic on the figure that had the bettery blow up in a lost cause? See I am worried that even if I clean the plastic that a thin residual layer of the acid will continue to destroy the plastic. But then again I know nothing of the topic. So if anyone can chime in with more info or personal experience I would appreciate it.

I'm by no means an expert, but I have some experience with this. As far as just touching another toy after touching the corrosion, you should be ok. If you touched liquid fluid, your first priority is going to be your safety since it can be extremely hazardous. Once it dries though and you get that crusty corrosion it's not nearly as bad and extremely unlikely to be transferred to another toy from your hands (although after touching the crust, it's still hazardous to you and I wouldn't reccomend liking your fingers or anything haha). If the corrosion was directly touching another piece, then there might be some transferrance, but it'll be minimal.

As for cleaning and permanent damage, it all depends on the type on the quality of plastic you're dealing with. A warm water & detergent mixture (like dish soap) should be able to clean most of it off. It may take a while, but nothing beats a bit of elbow grease and care. Use something too strong and you risk ruining the plastic. A firm bristle toothbrush will work good to help, and if you're dealing with metal, a small wire brush will work too, but will rip up plastics and scuff them really bad. If you're dealing with a tougher batch of corrosion that won't clean with warm water & detergent, check with an auto parts store, they usually have some solvents that clean battery corrosion, and some of them are safer for use on plastics then others, but you run a greater chance of plastic damage vs the water/detergent.

The most important thing to remember is that the corrosion is extremely dangerous to you so you should make sure to wear some rubber gloves or somethig while cleaning it and if you get any on you, wash it off. It's an acid and so water will dilute it dropping the hazard greatly.

Archived