Ding Dong The Prime is Dead!

Reluttr

That's right folks, looks like the Prime toyline is now dead...at least in walmart.

I checked by all of my local walmarts "about 4 of them" and all of them have either put out this strange case wave with 3-4 bb's 1 ratchet and 1 arcee and then stuffing the rest of the pegs with FOC or they have completely pulled the PRID Deluxe tags and replaced them with the FOC Generations tags.

This seems to coincide with behavior with other retailers in my area. Kmart has filled the pegs with FOC leaving 3 bb's to sulk on the shelf below, Target hasnt stocked PRID in weeks, and TRU has also shown considerable favor to FOC and has not stocked PRID in quite-a-while.

So I think we can all thank airachnid and her legendary failure of a existance for putting the breaks on Prime and ruining the toyline for everyone.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, you can blame an over-excessive stock of Bumblebees and a weak supply of Vehicons and Knockouts for it's demise. Having 3 BBs per initial case was just asinine.

Airachnid would have had to make it to the shelves to be a problem, Bumblebee would be the main issue, however this seems to have been brewing for quite a while, retailers historically have been more than a little "bitchy" about having to carry more than one Transformers toyline at a time, and since FOC is newer, and probably selling better (marginally) than the hundred+ BB's they've had sitting anywhere they can cram them, it doesn't surprise me at all that FOC is filling the spaces that ordinarily would go to Prime Toys. In the retailers mind Prime doesn't sell, in reality Prime doesn't sell because A) everyone already has all the figures that made it to the shelves, and B) no new figures can make it to shelves because of the ridiculous amount of Bumblebee's in the first few shipments that are choking the shelves. While yes retailers can send back product that does not sell, they can't send anything that isn't a sealed case back right away, a certain amount of time has to pass before they can pull items directly from the pegs to send back.

Humm good point, Airachnid didn't even grace most shelf's. Was there even a wave without BB or a BB repaint? XD

What I never could understand is that they always, always, always, short pack the unique character and flood the case with a figure that has been in every wave up until that point in one way or another. I mean even when they got around to repacking soundwave for wave 4 he was still drifting alone in a sea of yellow plastic. Admitibley it was a repainted sea of yellow...but yellow none the less.

I suppose the biggest disappointment is that this will probably cause the Prime show to be cut short. Unless of course they are still under the same mindset that you dont need a toyline driving your show.

Yeah I don't see the Prime show lasting beyond the 2nd season, which is why there has been a bigger than normal break between new episodes. And since Hasbro in all its stupidity said Prime was going to run at least 3 seasons, they must be trying to find a way to save it. Which brings us to the toy line, too many Bumblebee's he has been 60% of each wave. He continues to choke the shelves, saw 20 tonight at Target alone. Which leads into marketing and research, where Hasbro continues to listen to a group of idiots who are trying to make Bumblebee the icon of Transformers, because none of the understand the power of Optimus Prime and Peter Cullen have on the individual, regardless of when they first discovered Transformers. Optimus Prime has always been and always will be the face of Transformers no matter what the incarnation.

Remember we were promised gestalts and Dinobots during Prime's 2nd season, and they are a part of FOC, we have Smokescreen about to show up in Prime, but that is it and not even a hint of a figure. If Hasbro was smart, they would start immediately on a new show, and toy line without Bumblebee, and each case would have an equal amount of each figure.

In short Airrachnid's figure has nothing to do with the demise of Prime.

It would also have helped if we got Breakdown, who gives a damn about micron ports on him

Like finding Vehicon and Airachnid, I am not holding my breath on Hasbro, I've actually switched over to collecting the Arms Micron line instead of hunting for Prime figures. If I do see a Prime figure that I do not have the Arms Micron version of. Then I will buy it, but I will not hunt for Prime figures anymore.

I don't see the problem in Hasbro just selling the Microns in blind packs, I mean yeah, when those things were first revealed by Takara, there was a lot of bashing on them.... until we got them in hand! Then we saw just how freakin awesome these little guys were. They're cheap to produce since they don't need to be factory assembled, and can come with sticker sheets. Just makes no sense.

Remember we were promised gestalts and Dinobots during Prime's 2nd season, and they are a part of FOC, we have Smokescreen about to show up in Prime, but that is it and not even a hint of a figure. If Hasbro was smart, they would start immediately on a new show, and toy line without Bumblebee, and each case would have an equal amount of each figure.

That which makes the most sense will never come to fruition.

Addressing the initial issue o the thread, wal-mart has actually been getting in new prime stuff along with FOC stuff too(shocking I know, even in the armpit of Oklahoma). Even K-Mart got new stuff in over the past 2-3 weeks. So I wouldn't call it dead just yet, besides, we're now officially heading into the holiday buy-a-thon so hopefully we'll see a lot of good figure drop into the shelf space.

As for the rest, I don't quite get why Hasbro is planing to cut production short other than money concerns. I've been damned pleased with the show to be honest, other than killing off what appeared to be a excellent character early in the series(CJ). I wan't it to continue to be honest, along with the line, it's kinda reinvigorated my collecting to a modest degree. If they can't or won't do whats right by the fans, collectors and just kids in general who like the show/TF's, that's their loss and a dirty shame.

And as always, down with the over pollution of the yellow plastic.

Archived