Toy Hunters, Episode 2 - the rise of Bumper

Backfire

Finally got to watch episode 2 of this new show Toy Hunters. It seems to be a fun show, the host is really into toys from the past and works with the people he buys from pretty well. I am sure the fact checkers will point out some of his errors as he goes along but I won't do that here. I'd rather talk about the star of Episode 2, Bumblejumper aka Bumper.

Check out the episode on demand on on Youtube (before it's pulled) and see for your self. Though it's not 100% clear that SOME of the bits are not 'staged', this bit appears to be genuine. He finds a box of TF's in an interesting maze of a home, and is dumbfounded with Bumper.

The toy it's self it intact, but not in great shape at all. The arms are loose, as is the head and the autobot symbol is faded. Tires and toy are intact though. He winds up taking it (and a Lucky Draw Energon Gold Chromed Rodimus Prime) to "The KING of TF Collectors" to get them authenticated and the value.

Bumper, in it's condition, to ME, should have been valued at $70. This guy, having a vacancy on his G1 collection shelf, bought it for $120 I believe. Now I have 3 of the 5 color variations of Bumper, and the most I paid for a variant from Brazil, in better shape from the other end of the globe, I got for $75 a year ago in Blue. Mind you, I did not have one delivered to my house for free, but I really believe he paid too much for that one.

Once, in the summer of 1999 I found one in similar shape at a flea market for $3. I GAVE it to a friend I met on line for letting me crash at her and her husbands place for botcon that same year. The yellow version I have in my collection I bought in 95 at Botcon from Tony Preto for $50, and it was in near perfect condition.

What this does on the good side, is get BUMPER his day in the son. I am a STRONG SUPPORTER of getting any and all worthy Pre-Transformer toy into the TF universe. Switchblade, Bumper and Magnum are the 3 toppers of my list and I hope that someday, they are finally adopted into the series. Easy fix to seperate the original from the remake would be to cast them in slightly different colors? Gray Magnum? Black Switchblade? Orange Bumper?

What this does on the BAD side, is it over prices these little bumpers our there, making it harder for collectors who don't have this gem in their collections to get. I am VERY lucky I got the other 2 variants last year, now I fear the price may double.

As for Pete, the Transformer "KING" of collectors, he had an impressive display room. A couple things jumped out at me, like the Prime Cookie Jar head, the Prime night stand lamp, and an enclosed cabinet with some boxed G1's like Omega and Jetfire. They did not showcase his collection, but I didn't see anything else that screamed "KING" Sorry Pete. I do like the room, the open shelving has me worried that things could get taken down or fall down with ease. Meeting the Toy Hunter at the door with his pride and joy baby boy in his arms, you have to watch out for the future. Little hands on a 30 year old antique could be more than a time out!

I do thank you for sharing your collection room with us, I had my wife watch the episode with me and gave us some ideas of what to do with my future office, as we are just about to close on our first house in less than a month.

http://forums.TFormers.com/talk/index.php?app=gallery&album=1493

I posted the shots I took from the show. Would probably do better if I saw it on TV rather than via Youtube, but it shows his pretty good collection. It's not like collecting is a competition or anything to begin with. He's got most of the main toys I can not WAIT to put on display in my semi private office.

Well done Pete.

You should check out that ep of Collection intervention, man does that guy have a lot of stuff, I can understand why he did not want to part with that Botcon G2 Breakdown, I mean so what if doesn't fit in with his G1 collection? That piece held significant emotional value for him, it's not like unloading any of the modern exclusives, that was truly a special piece!

You should check out that ep of Collection intervention, man does that guy have a lot of stuff, I can understand why he did not want to part with that Botcon G2 Breakdown, I mean so what if doesn't fit in with his G1 collection? That piece held significant emotional value for him, it's not like unloading any of the modern exclusives, that was truly a special piece!

That'll be my next review. I have a G2 Breakdown, it's not all that with out the other 4 stunticons, like the Hartmans have.

It's hard to 'judge' the collections based on the glimpses seen in the shows, but I have to be impressed with this guy Pete's ROOM simply because it was a really nice (yet open) set up. The guy in the Collection Intervention show had all his stuff in boxes, and a bunch of stuff cluttered up on shelves. They kept swinging the shots past a shelf of loose robots, probably Godaiken stuff and saying "Transformers".

Mind you, he wound up selling the G2 Breakdown for an ungodly high price, which makes me think I should get rid of mine and take advantage of the high stakes selling while I can. Maybe I can track down some of the Holy Grails of my collection finally...

That'll be my next review. I have a G2 Breakdown, it's not all that with out the other 4 stunticons, like the Hartmans have.

It's hard to 'judge' the collections based on the glimpses seen in the shows, but I have to be impressed with this guy Pete's ROOM simply because it was a really nice (yet open) set up. The guy in the Collection Intervention show had all his stuff in boxes, and a bunch of stuff cluttered up on shelves. They kept swinging the shots past a shelf of loose robots, probably Godaiken stuff and saying "Transformers".

Mind you, he wound up selling the G2 Breakdown for an ungodly high price, which makes me think I should get rid of mine and take advantage of the high stakes selling while I can. Maybe I can track down some of the Holy Grails of my collection finally...

Sadly the holy grails of my collection exist only in my dreams....

now I HAVE to ask, what Grail doest thou dream of?

Is it the pink busty bot that Octaine pulled up on his monitor that fateful G1 episode? Because that'd be my first guess.

Lol, no. It feels weird to say here, but I am not a G1 collector, at least not in the sense of collecting the G1 toys, I do try and collect any modern updates to G1 characters in the classics toylines, and Third party sets I can find, I have an unachievable and unwritten goal to someday own modernized updates to EVERY different G1 character (including Japanese G1) so basically I have a ridiculous amount of characters that I would consider "holy grails" were they to be produced as figures.

Transfan2 has at least the G2 Motormaster. I can't remember if he had more than that or not.

Transfan2 has at least the G2 Motormaster. I can't remember if he had more than that or not.

The real G2 or the KO set? There is NOT an exact G2 KO set for the stunticons, but there was a multi colored set out there similar. With out all 5 and the kibble, it's just another pretty minibot.

The real G2 or the KO set? There is NOT an exact G2 KO set for the stunticons, but there was a multi colored set out there similar. With out all 5 and the kibble, it's just another pretty minibot.

He's got the real deal. He doesn't really like to talk about his collection online, he mostly just takes pictures of his stuff.

Archived