Best Masterpiece Prime?

JackJJW

So... Against better judgement and recommendations, I couldn't wait and opted for the Takara version - it arrived today! :D I couldn't be happier. Here's it is in all its glory:

I've seen hundreds of pictures of MP-10 but it really is awesome in real life. If Optimus Prime is the best toy ever, this is definitely the best version in my humble opinion.

I bought it from a seller on Ebay for about $100 less than BBTS. The reasons I opted for Takara are: 1) I genuinely couldn't wait :) 2) I plan on collecting a few MPs, so I liked the idea of collecting the same line 3) colouring, linked to point two I want to get Red Alert, so thought better to opt for all Takara versions, I also prefer the darker blue 4) I really like the idea of collecting the Japanese models and packaging for some reason. All silly reasons I know.

A few quality issues I've noticed so far. First of all, the end of the gun flew off as soon I opened the packaging! Clearly Optimus was very excited ;) Nothing a bit of superglue can't fix but I didn't expect that on a £150+ model. A few specks of paint out of place, no biggie. Biggest issue though is the legs in transformation, the buttons on the back press in but I then have to really force the legs in or out. To the point where it feels like I might pull the whole leg off! I'm hoping this will loosen... it doesn't feel like it will though. Finally, the metallic grill on the front is slightly wonky so it doesn't align properly in truck mode :(

None of those are deal breakers though, I expect no one has the perfectly crafted toy. One thing I really like are that the eyes are transparent. People had talked of 'dead' looking eyes. They look fantastic to me when light shines on them and I'm glad I don't have the version where they're painted over. All in all, a very high quality, solid, amazing looking figure.

Now, to go get that super glue...

I've seen and handled MP10 IRL, it is a very nice looking toy. Shame about the smaller size and being all plastic though. The robot and alt modes are tight, but IIRC it doesn't have some of the neat features from MP01, like the shock absorbers in the ankles and wheels. But still a very nice toy in its own right - and of course, it comes with the trailer and Roller (MP04 (which was released by Hasbro as a Target exclusive) didn't come with Roller). But as nice as it is, I'm not prepared to pay the asking price -- especially because I already have MP01.

I'm looking forward to getting Hasbro's version though at approx. half the price of Takara TOMY's, although judging from pictures the Hasbro colours don't look as nice. The darker colours on the TakTOM version does undoubtedly look better... but in terms of value for money, I'll wait for the Hasbro one. I just spent $170 on MP Sunstorm (the single most expensive MP I've ever bought), so... yeah. :P

Yeah... but I'm tempted by the trailer, Roller and Spike. :) I skipped MP04 even when it was released by Hasbro as a Target exclusive, cos as nice as the trailer was, it was an expensive item and it was "just the trailer" (no Roller). Hasbro's MP10 is slated to be approx. half the price of TakTOM's MP10 (which will make it even cheaper than MP Sunstorm's RRP!) -- so I'm definitely in to get me one of those. :D I intend to continue displaying MP01 in robot mode and Hasbro MP10 in vehicle mode. :)

Archived