Displays

Hellscream85

So I'm discovering real quick that I'm running out of space in my display cabinets for new figures... no wait... I've BEEN out of space for a while now! Lol my cabinets are the standard comic/collectible syle display/counter units, glass walls, glass top, glass shelves, mirror back and with the lighting kits installed. I have two 6' and one 3' cabinet giving me a ridiculous amount of space to display, but apparently not enough! I'm curious how everyone else solves this problem? Do you buy new units? Sell off part of your collection? Just call it good and move on with your life?

I can't buy any more of these units, mainly because they were ridiculously expensive the first time around, and weigh about 400 lb.'s a piece (when they were delivered the driver just dropped them at the end of the driveway... thanks?) So I'm considering building new units from scratch using what's available to me from my local hardware stores (which is surprisingly a lot!) Has anyone else built there own display area's?

I have built my own and I purposely build them so they can be modified later on if need be in order to add more space. And it if definitely 75% cheaper at least. I'm currently designing my next set of shelves, where my ceiling is 9 feet tall and there is a shelf every 12 inches from the ceiling except for the last 3 feet from the floor which will be adjustable, and each corner will have a glass cabinet built, that will also be adjustable with LED lights so they keep my energy bill low.

I use a combination of two things: metal tool shelves and bookcases. Bookcases are better but tool shelves are cheap. :P Surprisingly tool shelves hold a lot of toys as each shelf is pretty deep, but they're wobbly and not terribly stable. So wooden bookcases work pretty well -- the most ideal for me have been Ikea's Billy, but they're not cheap (we pay about $70-80 each here). Alternatively, if you have any carpentry skills then put them to good use and just make your own shelving units. I can't build stuff to save my life, so I'm dependent on buying shelving. :( But yeah, I envy people with such skills... you can just custom build shelves as per your needs.

That Singaporean Metroplex shelf looks nice but terribly impractical for anyone with a large collection and limited room space. It'd be fine for people with smaller collections though (and who aren't intending on expanding them much I suppose).

I use a combination of two things: metal tool shelves and bookcases. Bookcases are better but tool shelves are cheap. :P Surprisingly tool shelves hold a lot of toys as each shelf is pretty deep, but they're wobbly and not terribly stable. So wooden bookcases work pretty well -- the most ideal for me have been Ikea's Billy, but they're not cheap (we pay about $70-80 each here). Alternatively, if you have any carpentry skills then put them to good use and just make your own shelving units. I can't build stuff to save my life, so I'm dependent on buying shelving. :( But yeah, I envy people with such skills... you can just custom build shelves as per your needs.

That Singaporean Metroplex shelf looks nice but terribly impractical for anyone with a large collection and limited room space. It'd be fine for people with smaller collections though (and who aren't intending on expanding them much I suppose).

Building them is surprisingly easy, which was something I discovered when my previous units were just dropped at the end of my driveway, they didn't really come with instructions, no pre-drilled holes, just the raw materials to put them together, so I kinda had the figure out how to do it on the spot, after all that I'm confident I could copy the design, and rebuild some more as long as I can find all the materials locally, which should not be a problem.

And that Metroplex is truly badass! Though yes I do agree that it would severely limit the size of your collection were it your primary method of figure storage.

Building them is surprisingly easy, which was something I discovered when my previous units were just dropped at the end of my driveway, they didn't really come with instructions, no pre-drilled holes, just the raw materials to put them together, so I kinda had the figure out how to do it on the spot, after all that I'm confident I could copy the design, and rebuild some more as long as I can find all the materials locally, which should not be a problem.

Hmmm... *rubs chin* I've always lacked confidence when it comes to building anything... but maybe I should try reverse-engineering an Ikea Billy bookcase. Would save me a lot of money for sure... and I could possibly make the shelves deeper too.

That Metroplex is insane!:love .

You can easily find shelving and brackets at any hardware store. Here's a pic of my closet from years back when I took everything off. Notice the brackets.

010.jpg

I use the same brackets and boards as it is cheaper, and at the same time saves space, because the boards are thin, unlike the stylish ones Walmart and Target sell. Lowes and Home Depot are great for shelving

• 3 weeks later...

I use Intermetro shelving components for my collection: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/shelvingSale/interMetroreg/bestSellingSolutions

The only thing is I can't seem to get the pipe sleeves to properly grip to get all the shelves to appear level. :( but that's what holds the majority of my collection.

Archived