Hercules

Transmitte

I finally got Hercules* completed a couple of weeks ago and wound up changing the pelvic section out on Heavy Labor with the new one, thing is, he was still a bit unsteady. I broke herc back down and took apart Heavy Labor to take a look at the new hip innards and found that it actually had some kind of creme lubricant in it. I get what that is for but in the same vein it had worked itself into the rotator lip/sleeve section of the hip and was keeping the legs from staying steady(I wound up clearing the lubricant out and adding some super glue to help stiffen the hip joints. I didn't worry about the lube because I won't be moving Herc or HL around a lot, so future potential damage is negligible to slight IMO). HL's legs had roughly about 1-1.5 inches of play and caused the combined form of Herc to slouch forward if left to his own devices and making it difficult to put him in any poses other than standing straight up or with one leg forward like taking a modest step. I had also made sure the ratchets inside the upper thighs had been set properly to match the internal teeth\gears as well.

After some hit and miss work through several tear downs I got him to stand up straight and rigid enough that he won't slouch in a dangerous/head dive possible stance and can stand in a few modest poses. Now the next thing that popped up was the central rotator joint section with HL that is not being sticky enough and actually giving Herc some unwanted chances at bending at the waist/abdomen area. I see more tear down in his future.

Anyone else came across this?

Mind you I'm not complaining about the QC on these bots at all, they've done a hell of a job, and these coming from a third party company is astounding.

*I'm not doing the whole "Not so and so" naming convention, deal with it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever take apart a armada unicrons crotch? Its full of that white sticky lube. :tflaugh

Seriously though be careful, if you take out to much of the lube then it will grind down the joint like the original waist part did... Basically after the initial hip problems TFC took a note from Armada Unicron and borrowed hasbros idea of filling the crotch assembly with lube. Its really the only way to support a figure that large without making the hip ratchets out of metal.

Ever take apart a armada unicrons crotch? Its full of that white sticky lube. :tflaugh

Seriously though be careful, if you take out to much of the lube then it will grind down the joint like the original waist part did... Basically after the initial hip problems TFC took a note from Armada Unicron and borrowed hasbros idea of filling the crotch assembly with lube. Its really the only way to support a figure that large without making the hip ratchets out of metal.

Unicrons Crotch/sticky white lube? I thought we were being family friendly on this site! :rofl :rofl :rofl

I left a small amount in there for those "D" shaped sections with the notch and the gears themselves. The original gears never took any wear so I have those in reserve luckily. I'll get him squared away, was just curious on a whole if anyone else had came across this.

My HL still has his original hips. Mine's hips haven't had any problems yet. Also because I got a second run Madblender, his hercules knee joint is fine and doesn't flop

My HL still has his original hips. Mine's hips haven't had any problems yet. Also because I got a second run Madblender, his hercules knee joint is fine and doesn't flop

I've noticed my Madblender's knee joint for the combined mode is a little loose as well. More work to do.

I discovered why I was having the waist issue with HL/Herc, there is a silver rectangular tab inside of HL that acts as the ratchet tooth. It apparently slipped out when I had him apart that last time and I failed to notice it. I spotted the chunk on the desk and after some checking and tear down, that was the issue. So he's doing much better.

I also received the Rage of the Hercules add on. It's pretty nice and really helps Hercules look a lot better and even more 'GEEWUN'. There are few things of note however:

- The new shoulder joints were a serious pain to get connected to the shoulder pegs, I thought I might break something a few times. They are very tight and could possible do some peg damage if you're not careful.

- The elbow joints also take a bit of pressure to connect together(The outer "C"-connector with the open flange at one end is where this comes into play. The butterfly hinges that close around the black peg on the back end of the dozers won't close completely until you attach the "C"- connector) I will admit the engineering is pretty neat though).

- A warning about the new head! I was having a severe time trying to pop the head off the ball joint per the instructions. I was worried about stressing or breaking that entire assembly the head is parked on so I just unscrewed the new head, pulled off the new face plate and attached it to the current one(I like the original head/helmet design over the more G-1 based version). All of the head pieces are interchangeable, WTG TFC!

- Finally, the new gun just knocks it out of the park. Big, imposing and not just the mono color chunk you get when you build the big gun from the individual ones. It just looks mighty Kick Ass!

Pix later when I have time

Enjoy!

I discovered why I was having the waist issue with HL/Herc, there is a silver rectangular tab inside of HL that acts as the ratchet tooth. It apparently slipped out when I had him apart that last time and I failed to notice it. I spotted the chunk on the desk and after some checking and tear down, that was the issue. So he's doing much better.

I also received the Rage of the Hercules add on. It's pretty nice and really helps Hercules look a lot better and even more 'GEEWUN'. There are few things of note however:

- The new shoulder joints were a serious pain to get connected to the shoulder pegs, I thought I might break something a few times. They are very tight and could possible do some peg damage if you're not careful.

- The elbow joints also take a bit of pressure to connect together(The outer "C"-connector with the open flange at one end is where this comes into play. The butterfly hinges that close around the black peg on the back end of the dozers won't close completely until you attach the "C"- connector) I will admit the engineering is pretty neat though).

- A warning about the new head! I was having a severe time trying to pop the head off the ball joint per the instructions. I was worried about stressing or breaking that entire assembly the head is parked on so I just unscrewed the new head, pulled off the new face plate and attached it to the current one(I like the original head/helmet design over the more G-1 based version). All of the head pieces are interchangeable, WTG TFC!

- Finally, the new gun just knocks it out of the park. Big, imposing and not just the mono color chunk you get when you build the big gun from the individual ones. It just looks mighty Kick Ass!

Pix later when I have time

Enjoy!

Yup, I know exactly what you mean about the Ball joint for the head, I swapped the original for the Crazydevy head, in the process of which created a VERY scary stress mark on that small piece of plastic the ball is attached to.

Can't wait to receive my Rage of Hercules kit, it's coming from Hong Kong by Stork!

Thanks for all the info here about Hercules, I haven't bought him yet. But at least I know to look for this when I do get him

Archived