Soft Plastic Garbage

Breaker

So since I'm stuck in NOLA for another year I decided to get as many of my guys out of the boxes and into/onto the curio and while doing so Generations Drift's sword is so bent up and warped... I was about to lose my mind! Anybody else have a bad experience with a "modern" figure with soft plastics going to shit already?

Animated Oil Slick is still holding up nicely tho :D

The same thing happened to my drift because I kept his sword on his back for so long in robot mode. While I like some soft plastic, the rest is just crap, example: missles done in soft plastic, seriously? While I like trying to keep kids safe with soft plastic, I think we are taking it just a little too far.

Look at the transformer figures we had when we were younger. Any of those figures would have parents of these days angry because they have hard metal pieces that could hurt their children on them, and yet we survived, without soft plastic even. And you know why, because we were tough, we had toys that were made of plastic and metal and hurt like a mofo when we were hit with them, none of this namby-pamby soft plastic crap, and we survived.

Prime RID Optimus' smokestacks are off kilter a bit.

Whatever happened to 'the kid that swalllows the most marbles never grows up to have kids of his own'?

Well back in my day, we had to ACTUALLY transform our transformers, none of this spring loaded crap! We were fine with brick and shell formers and were glad to have 'em! You damn kids don't have any clue what it was like back in the day trying to keep Ultra Magnus and all his missiles and shoulder launchers together! Poseability?? WHY I OUGHTA!...

GET OFF MAH LAWN!!

Tip for straightening Drift's sword: Stick it in a bowl of hot, but not boiling water. It will go extremely floppy at this point. Then, just put it down somewhere flat and it will be straightened once cooled down.

This works for a lot of bent swords and stuff like that :thumb

^ Bingo.

Use of soft plastic is mostly due to breakage issues. That's why it happens to a lot of swords and to clear-plastic wings. Bits like that are under a lot of stress; swords from being knocked against each other and clear-plastic wings from the fact that kids tend to throw flying toys (Rigid clear plastic is more brittle than opaque plastic - a lesson Hasbro learned the hard way with the Flutter Ponies' wings). So it makes sense to use soft plastic, which bends instead of breaking. The benefit is twofold: There are thus no nasty sharp edges or shards to injure someone, and also the kid is not going to end up heartbroken due to a busted toy. As for soft-plastic missiles, odds are there's another soft-plastic part that's the same colour and thus is on the same sprue.

Archived