Transformer #81 (spoilers ahead)

Hellscream85

So what did everyone think of Transformers #81?

Personally I loved it! Especially the introduction of the Wreckers into US continuity, the only thing missing was Twintwist, I am sure Furman will explain his absence from the team in following issues though it seems odd to me to have Topspin, but not Twintwist. Also interesting to me is the presence of G2 Leadfoot on this Wreckers team, guess this means we can expect to see more G2 characters popping in now and then over the course of these 20 issues.

***Mega-Spoiler Alert***

Anyone notice the shape of the pod behind Bludgeon? Looks to me like he's trying to resurrect Thunderwing!

Deluxe Insecticons.... 'nuff said

And of course the final two pages=pure awesome! Big Megs is back in action, stranded on earth which he may or may not have destroyed himself, and then launching a nuclear strike on the Wreckers ship. Can't wait to read how this plays out, and ofcourse now I have more questions. Does this mean Ratchet is still alive as well? Or was the Nucleon able to sever the link between Megatron and Ratchet? What about the other Transformers aboard the Ark, including the ones still de-activated, were they all destroyed, or was Ratchet still kicking well enough to save everyone? Guess I'll have to wait to find out what Starscream and Shockwave's condition is now....

And then Grimlock. We didn't really see him in this issue, but as Kup was saying he's gone on a search for a cure for Nucleon, because apparently all those he energized with it have either gone insane, or are now physically crippled, but we'll learn more about that next issue.

Until #82!

Remember that UK continuity is meant to be the same as US continuity -- the UK comics were meant to be like an Expanded Universe, similar to say the Clone Wars series is to the Star Wars films. And when Furman took over from Budiansky, he explicitly made ties between the US and UK continuities to consolidate them together. The final events in the G1 comics like the Matrix Quest and thereafter could NOT have occurred without certain events in the UK comics having happened. Some of the US comics even make flashbacks to those events, like Deathbringer. And in the Matrix Quest they find Optimus Prime's body inside that funeral barge, which also came from the UK comics.

So... seeing the Wreckers there again was confusing since a lot of them didn't survive the Time Wars (except Leadfoot who was never a member of the original Wreckers -- I suspect his inclusion is a nod to the Movieverse Wreckers). Likewise those Deluxe Insecticons who were members of the Decepticon Mayhem Attack Squad and were also killed. So what gives??? Here's some possible explanations:

1) It's been 21 years since the end of G1. Perhaps in that time some formerly deceased Autobots and Decepticons have since been revived.

2) The events of the Time Wars created an alternate universe, thus this universe would be one where Galvatron was never created and thus never travelled back in time. Thus in this universe any events caused by Galvatron's time travel never happened, but those unaffected by it (e.g. Death Bringer) still did. This would satisfactorily explain why those Wreckers and Mayhems who were killed in the Time Wars are still alive here if the events of stories like Target: 2006 and the Time Wars never happened. Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey. ;)

The US comics are it's own stand-alone continuity, and while some stories and characters may have ties to the UK books, the US books are not by any means anchored to UK continuity. The presence of characters that never appeared in US comics yet died in UK books is proof of one of two things 1) the majority of UK continuity has been retconned out of existence or 2) we simply don't know enough yet about what's happening to say how Furman is building this swan song to Marvel G1.

As far as Deathbringer, while yes the character was referrenced in US comics as a nod to the UK comics, it could have happened regardless in either continuity. The funeral barge did appear during Optimus Prime's funeral in the US comics before he was shot off-planet, he was in it. Also it is fact that not all of UK continuity fits in the Marvel G1 timeline, don't believe me look up Earthforce.

For now I'm looking at this at face value, the continuation of Marvel US G1

I've been highly critical of IDW's work in the past, but Regeneration 81 felt quite close to classic G1 (which is of course its intent). Simon can still write in his old style! :yayThe ending was quite a shock, but a good one. But I guess G2 isn't happening in this timeline? If the series remains this good, I'll gladly take back every objection I had to the project. Sometimes being wrong isn't bad.

I've been highly critical of IDW's work in the past, but Regeneration 81 felt quite close to classic G1 (which is of course its intent). Simon can still write in his old style! :yayThe ending was quite a shock, but a good one. But I guess G2 isn't happening in this timeline? If the series remains this good, I'll gladly take back every objection I had to the project. Sometimes being wrong isn't bad.

That's the thing isn't it? Lol Furman continuously says when anyone asks about G2 and UK "it's not that it happened or didn't happen, hopefully you'll see Regeneration One through and see what I mean"

Vague much, lol

As far as Deathbringer, while yes the character was referrenced in US comics as a nod to the UK comics, it could have happened regardless in either continuity. The funeral barge did appear during Optimus Prime's funeral in the US comics before he was shot off-planet, he was in it. Also it is fact that not all of UK continuity fits in the Marvel G1 timeline, don't believe me look up Earthforce.

Earthforce is the exception, not the norm. The majority of the UK stories were meant to fit into US continuity -- that was always Furman's intentions. That's why he often used toys that didn't appear in the US comics so that he could do with them as he pleased without worrying about contradicting US continuity.

Earthforce happened because Hasbro wanted Furman to promote the 1990/91 Classic reissues. And even then he did attempt to tie it back in with the US continuity (re: #75 - we see members of Earthforce with Grimlock after he used the Ark to slap Unicron in the face). It didn't work of course, and Earthforce has since been officially rendered out-of-continuity... can't wins 'em all. ;)

Earthforce is the exception, not the norm. The majority of the UK stories were meant to fit into US continuity -- that was always Furman's intentions. That's why he often used toys that didn't appear in the US comics so that he could do with them as he pleased without worrying about contradicting US continuity.

Earthforce happened because Hasbro wanted Furman to promote the 1990/91 Classic reissues. And even then he did attempt to tie it back in with the US continuity (re: #75 - we see members of Earthforce with Grimlock after he used the Ark to slap Unicron in the face). It didn't work of course, and Earthforce has since been officially rendered out-of-continuity... can't wins 'em all. ;)

True, but that was just an example, with Regeneration One only on it's 1st full issue ( Free Comic Book Day was a half issue, and not just because it's numbered 80.5) it's far to early to judge what Furman's plans are as far as UK and G2.

Archived