Is it worth selling new stuff on Ebay?

Shadowpanther

IMHO below:

Is it worth selling new stuff on Ebay?

I say no. due to buyers not paying sales tax. Also due to the huge ebay fees & Paypal fees.

I noticed "on average" most who sell newer retail store items on ebay. barely make over $7 to $10 in profits. more than half of these profits go towards store tax,Gas,ebay fees & paypal fees.

I honestly think it's only worst selling older stuff on ebay that you've had for a few years. enjoyed and then out grew.

I just don't think it's worth much profit. to run to retail stores. waste all that gas. list stuff on ebay. get barely $10 in profit sales. due to Tax,gas,ebay & paypal fees.

Since most buyers on ebay don't pay any sales tax. this is another thing sellers pay that they don't get refunded/compensated for.

I suspose their are those ebay sellers that make a few bucks profit in charging illegial/high shipping fees. but the buyer has the option to ask for a shipping refund before or after he pays. or the buyer will leave a negative feedback.

I got inspired to create this thread. because I just went to ebay. I saw a few sellers already selling SDCC 2012 exclusives. I thought to myself how much profit can these sellers really make off these sdcc 2012 items after taxes,after paypal & ebay fees,after gas fees. the profits needs to at least exceed 60% of what the person paid for the item,to make this worth it.

:redface says it all.

i sell on ebay all the time and i have no problem with making a profit or breaking even. If you buy something from an ebay store who actually has a tax id, and you live in the same state, you generally do get charged tax for the item. I don't own a retail business that sells stuff on ebay so i don't know how that tax stuff works.

http://bigfleamart.com/

My site. Come sell stuff on there for free! No fee's. No BS. Promote your stuff, get noticed, wheel and deal all you want, site gets hits from around the world.

Reminds me, I REALLY gota take the sold stuff off there and update the thing. I just havn't had the time, trying to find a HOUSE.

Did I mention there are NO FEE's. Restrictions? Just nothing Illegal. Like you can't sell your little sister because she steals all your mom's attention. No dead parrots here, unless you're a monty python skit.

Oh and I'm the toy moderator, so worried about selling that Megatron WITH OUT THE ORANGE TIP??? Fa-get-about it! Oh wait, arn't KO's Illegal? As long as nobody is tryin to push a KO as the real thing, post away!

You control what you post, sell, don't sell, trade, swap, what ever, it's your business and we don't charge ya squat!

Scammers will be screened out, there are no credit card numbers or anything of value to be hacked from the site. SO you are totally safe to trade here.

Most asked question I've had so far:

Is my Skyhammer still for sale? YES! The guy who had it on hold bailed.

I do trades too.

I'm currently looking for a decent deal on:

Botcon G2 Thundercracker

Club toy G2 Ramjet

Club toy Over-Run aka Runabout (the black one).

Botcon Road Rage aka Turbo Tracks

I have a cool Blockman set for sale

I SOLD my Omegatron/Black Omega Supreme, so sorry, it's gone.

And I can't find my extra Fortress X, decided not to sell it anyway, will look good in display, I might even custom paint it a different color and finish the missing bits with custom parts.

Need my house to do the custom work, but can't buy the house until I sell the customs... ARG!

Visit my site!

If you can post a picture on Facebook, you can post something on your 'Table' just as fast and easy!

http://bigfleamart.com/

I don't use eBay. Don't see the point. Seems like a lot of hassle and I'm constantly hearing stories of bad experiences from people who use it (this board even has an entire thread dedicated to it! Every time I read it I feel glad I don't use eBay). If I want to buy a Transformer toy, I'll go to the shops. I try to buy toys that I expect to like, so I seldomly have the urge to sell anything, and if I do, I usually sell/trade with other collectors easily enough.

Did I mention there are NO FEE's. Restrictions? Just nothing Illegal. Like you can't sell your little sister because she steals all your mom's attention. No dead parrots here, unless you're a monty python skit.

Oh and I'm the toy moderator, so worried about selling that Megatron WITH OUT THE ORANGE TIP??? Fa-get-about it! Oh wait, arn't KO's Illegal? As long as nobody is tryin to push a KO as the real thing, post away!

Huh? You said "nothing illegal," then you said that selling KOs is okay as long as they're not being presented as the real thing, but selling KOs is already an illegal act. I can understand what you're trying to do, and kudos to you for being more ethical in the presentation of counterfeit toys, but the fact remains that selling forgeries is actually illegal regardless whether you inform consumers of the fact or not.

But hey, I MUCH prefer seeing people selling KOs at least being open, honest and upfront in telling people that it's a fake than those who don't, or those who use ambiguous language like "Asian reissue", which is freaking stupid, because legit Takara(TOMY) reissues are technically Asian reissues too. Or people who say "Chinese reissues," which is also retarded because there ARE legit Chinese reissues out there, so that disclaimer alone doesn't necessarily say it's a forgery. Some collectable toy stores in Japan like Mandarake actually label all KOs with a sticker that says "Bootleg." There's no ambiguity -- they make it crystal clear that the toy is a fake. While I personally don't like/condone the sales of counterfeits, I do appreciate the fact that some sellers do at least inform potential buyers about the true nature of the product, thus removing the deception factor.

I don't use eBay. Don't see the point. Seems like a lot of hassle and I'm constantly hearing stories of bad experiences from people who use it (this board even has an entire thread dedicated to it! Every time I read it I feel glad I don't use eBay). If I want to buy a Transformer toy, I'll go to the shops. I try to buy toys that I expect to like, so I seldomly have the urge to sell anything, and if I do, I usually sell/trade with other collectors easily enough.

I've been using eBay for 13 years. Never had any sort of crazy problem that would make me want to never use eBay again. You just have to be careful by reading the descriptions, looking at pictures, and asking questions. There are plenty of people on there selling the same stuff so it's not like you only have one option.

Archived