Why would anyone hide a Grand Max

Cybcouncil

The amount of crazy dust on those makes me wonder how often he bothers to play with them. :/

imho below:

All this dust build up on those TF toys. can't be good to breathe in and can cause health issues. hopefully this guys dusty collecticon is not in a bed room,wih a bed. I'd hate to see someone have to sleep in this room every night and breathe in all this dust every day.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking to this semi famous guy Dave, he's an interesting guy, has a store in the Columbus Flea Market, NJ, and scowers the mart, every single weekend, buying up what ever toys he can get for a good deal. Been a fixture there for 30 years easy. Told his house is full of toys, are are his vehicles...

But that's not the story I'm shootin for. He told me about this other guy, collects nothing but TF's. Anything, and everthing Transformers. Buys 3 of everything in the store, from the littlest part to the biggest. Said he visited this guys house, and it was like a dump truck full of TF's just unloaded in the living room.

You want to sit on the couch? Dig your self a spot. Gota go to the bathroom? Dig your way in. Wanna go to bed, hope you like sharing your TF bed sheets with a hundred of his favorite TF's.

I don't know who he is, but he lives in my general area. I can only imagine the broken bot dreams this guy has around the house, lord primus help him if he has a pet. Can you imagine the dust, grime and dander that lurks beneath the plastic gold?

I am glad that I'm over having to buy EVERYTHING TF related. I think Beast Wars broke me of that.

That doesn't sound like collecting, that sounds like HOARDING, and compulsive-hoarding is a symptom of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder. Buying three of every Transformer seems OCDish to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_hoarding

The squalor state of that collection indicates that he doesn't even bother to play with his toys. And if as Backfire has heard, the toys are actually all over the place and actually cluttering living areas and affect health are signs of compulsive hoarding. Methinks this guy needs help. I don't want to see his collection thrown away like on those hoarder shows on TV, but someone needs to come in there, grab ONE of every Transformer, pack them away, sell off the multiples for him, then freaking clean up the house and organise the remainder of his collection into a respectable collection. That way he'd have a clean house, neat looking collection, and extra money earnt from selling the excess toys. :)

You want to sit on the couch? Dig your self a spot. Gota go to the bathroom? Dig your way in. Wanna go to bed, hope you like sharing your TF bed sheets with a hundred of his favorite TF's.

I don't know who he is, but he lives in my general area. I can only imagine the broken bot dreams this guy has around the house, lord primus help him if he has a pet. Can you imagine the dust, grime and dander that lurks beneath the plastic gold?

Lord Primus help him if he ever wants to bring a girl (or guy if so inclined) home!! I don't mean to sound mean, but seriously... that would have to massively interfere with one's romantic life. (o_O) Not many people want to go home to a potential partner who lives in a filthy cluttered squalor.

I am glad that I'm over having to buy EVERYTHING TF related. I think Beast Wars broke me of that.

To be fair, it's not this guy's obsession with being a completist that's the real problem. I know of two Transformers collectors - let's call them "Tom" and "Harry" (not real names). Tom is a completist - he has EVERYTHING and ANYTHING Transformers related. But his collection is stored in a large downstairs basement room. The collection is neat and tidy and does not clutter any living area of his home. Harry on the other hand has a relatively modest size Transformers collection, he is not a completist -- some may say he's more of a casual Transformers collector (although he does collect other toys like Lego etc. - but not a large scale collector of them either). Yet his home is disgusting... I've been there several times myself. The smell is unbelievable and makes you want to wretch. He has a cat which defecates indoors around the house (which is rather unusual behaviour for a cat - they usually always use the same area like a cat litter) - but anyway, because the house is so cluttered he's unable to locate all the cat excrement, let alone clean it up. Yeah. This guy's nickname is "Smelly Harry" -- I kid you not, and I did not make that nick name up (I don't call him that, seems rather cruel, but I know lots of other people who just call him "Smelly"). Most don't know that it's because his home just stinks so bad; he does shower daily, but as soon as he steps out of the shower the stench smacks him and re-skunks his whole body. I'm seriously not making this up -- another TF collector thought I was exaggerating, then one day I brought him over to Harry's house. At first he said, "It's not _that_ bad." Then I told him to go upstairs into the bedroom. He went up. He came down the stairs with a "OMFG" expression of utter shock on his face like he'd just been to Hell and back. He agreed that I wasn't exaggerating after that. ;)

So yeah, one doesn't have to be a completist to be a filthy slob hoarder... and one can be a completist and still be neat and tidy. I don't see the two as being necessarily related. I think in this case we happen to have a completist who happens to be a slob. The guy needs help.

P.S.: I've lost touch with Harry for several years, but he recently got married, so he must have somehow changed himself and cleaned up his act (and home)! Either that or he found a woman who likes living in filth... but that's less likely. I'd like to believe that he managed to see the light and has changed himself for the better. :)

The amount of crazy dust on those makes me wonder how often he bothers to play with them. :/

imho below:

All this dust build up on those TF toys. can't be good to breathe in and can cause health issues. hopefully this guys dusty collecticon is not in a bed room,wih a bed. I'd hate to see someone have to sleep in this room every night and breathe in all this dust every day.

For reasons unrelated to TFs and more related to personal experience I laughed sooo hard. I used to work in places a million times worse with FLY ASH lol. But nah, I figure unless you had a dust allergy or something you'd be alright.

There is dust floating around ALL THE TIME, you just cant always see it unless that weird sun beam hits just right.

imho below:

For reasons unrelated to TFs and more related to personal experience I laughed sooo hard. I used to work in places a million times worse with FLY ASH lol. But nah, I figure unless you had a dust allergy or something you'd be alright.

There is dust floating around ALL THE TIME, you just cant always see it unless that weird sun beam hits just right.

imho below:

I have personally watched a few scientific shows showing how bad of a health risk excessive dust build up is in a bed room or house. this dust is this guys room has clearly been sitting their for years upon years. dust build up like this can cause lungs problems. to breathe in this dust every day is just not healthy.

I use to work at plenty of jobs. where the inside of the places were dusty. but the difference was,the workers tried daily to clean the place. by sweeping,mopping & vacuming. in addition to this,the place was well ventilated & had ceiling fans & exaust fans. I'd rather breathe in NEW dust instead of years worth of dust build up.

the dust in this guys TF collection room. hasn't been cleaned in years. i'm sure his room doesn't have a exaust fan. who even knows if he opens up his bed room windows to air out the room. this dust build up, due to it sitting around for years isn't safe to breathe in.

Remember that domestic dust is made up of faecal excrement of dust mites (and other allergens produced by them) - and this faeces contains active enzymes that can actually kill cells within the human body, and the deeper the droppings can travel into the lungs, the more damage it can potentially cause. Scientists have currently identified seven different active enzymes contained in dust droppings, but there could be more. I saw an episode of hoarders where they left out some open Agar plates to test the air quality -- they found that the air in the kitchen contained thousands more airborne germs than can be found on an average toilet seat. i.e. it would be cleaner for this hoarder to eat off a toilet seat than in their own kitchen!

And it just looks bad. Doesn't this guy take pride in his collection?

the dust in this guys TF collection room. hasn't been cleaned in years. i'm sure his room doesn't have a exaust fan. who even knows if he opens up his bed room windows to air out the room. this dust build up, due to it sitting around for years isn't safe to breathe in.

As I said before... doesn't he even PLAY with his toys?? Surely by virtue of playing with one's toys they get less dusty. That much dust on the toys indicates that they haven't been touched or moved in a jolly long time. I don't see the point of collecting toys if you're not going to play with them -- makes about as much sense as buying books and not reading them or buying food and not eating it. (o_O) Also, compulsive hoarding can be just a symptom of deeper underlying psychological issues.

Remember that domestic dust is made up of faecal excrement of dust mites (and other allergens produced by them) - and this faeces contains active enzymes that can actually kill cells within the human body, and the deeper the droppings can travel into the lungs, the more damage it can potentially cause. Scientists have currently identified seven different active enzymes contained in dust droppings, but there could be more. I saw an episode of hoarders where they left out some open Agar plates to test the air quality -- they found that the air in the kitchen contained thousands more airborne germs than can be found on an average toilet seat. i.e. it would be cleaner for this hoarder to eat off a toilet seat than in their own kitchen!

And it just looks bad. Doesn't this guy take pride in his collection?

As I said before... doesn't he even PLAY with his toys?? Surely by virtue of playing with one's toys they get less dusty. That much dust on the toys indicates that they haven't been touched or moved in a jolly long time. I don't see the point of collecting toys if you're not going to play with them -- makes about as much sense as buying books and not reading them or buying food and not eating it. (o_O) Also, compulsive hoarding can be just a symptom of deeper underlying psychological issues.

Thanks for this reply. this is exactly the points I was trying to explain in my replies above.

Not saying it was healthy, just saying in a non-offensive way "don't be a wuss." Plenty things worse for you then everyday dust.

Not saying it was healthy, just saying in a non-offensive way "don't be a wuss." Plenty things worse for you then everyday dust.

I'm no wuss,please try to debate in ways that don't insult others. I refuse to debate further as you've ruined the mood via a insult.

Archived