Bay Says Transformers 4 'Absolutely' His Last, May Go Into Space with Smaller Budget

Shadowpanther

While humans have and will always be a major part of the TF mythos, they should not be the main focus. They simply should not. It was somewhat--somewhat--excusable in the first movie, unforgivable in the second, and the third movie to me was one of the best sci-fi/action flicks I've ever seen, nearly on a par with T2 or Aliens. The focus was--understandably--on humans, but a considerable amount was also on the robots and their thought processes and machinations. Besides, at the end, it was clear what DOTM was focusing on, and that made it all solvent.

Make no mistake though: I'm no sentimentalist where Bay is concerned. He makes another crappy film on top of the positives he achieved with DOTM, and I will lambaste him and his film with all the fervor I have brought forth in the past. I've gone to great length in the past to skewer Mick Bay and his movies--not just the Transformers films, but his movies in general--because he is, IMO, a bad filmmaker. DOTM saw him reign himself in, and let the subject matter be the show for once--with positive results.

I could definitely see where The Bayverse could rape someone's childhood. It didn't do that to mine--that was reserved for the Jurassic Park films. I am passionate about a good movie, and ever more so concerning movies that feature one of my favorite diversions and hobbies. I just need a good movie, not one dominated by editing and directorial gaffes and subjugated by the director's ego. So many movies--including all of the Jurassic Park films (noticing a trend here) and ROTF--end up in this category and it sucks to watch.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lot of people hate a lot of things. Some hate the Movieverse, some hate G1, some hate Animated, blah blah blah. The trick, as always, is the realize that not everyone will like all things and deal with it.

Just saying :shrug

That's pretty much exactly it too. Now watch, when the eventual reboot does happen everyone will do a 180. The folks that love the first movies will hate the reboot and vice versa, and it'll still make buckets of cash regardless.

Can't please everyone all the time....

There is no reboot, TF4 is a continuation, the first 3 movies are going to be the past for TF4

Like most things in many of the modern Transformers incarnations I love the story, well minus ROTF, but just absolutely hate, hate the character designs... I will admit though that many of the TFPrime designs have grown on me, but none of the movie toys(at least the ones of the main cast) have instilled me with any desire at all to collect them.

I think that may be part of the reason for the budget cut for TF4, the lackluster reception of the TF3 toyline by fans. A lot of the stores in my area haven't been able to put Prime figures out on the shelves yet due to still having boxes and boxes of DOTM deluxe and Cyberverse figures still in the backroom, and for some reason they can't just get rid of them...

While humans have and will always be a major part of the TF mythos, they should not be the main focus. They simply should not. It was somewhat--somewhat--excusable in the first movie, unforgivable in the second, and the third movie to me was one of the best sci-fi/action flicks I've ever seen, nearly on a par with T2 or Aliens. The focus was--understandably--on humans, but a considerable amount was also on the robots and their thought processes and machinations. Besides, at the end, it was clear what DOTM was focusing on, and that made it all solvent.

Make no mistake though: I'm no sentimentalist where Bay is concerned. He makes another crappy film on top of the positives he achieved with DOTM, and I will lambaste him and his film with all the fervor I have brought forth in the past. I've gone to great length in the past to skewer Mick Bay and his movies--not just the Transformers films, but his movies in general--because he is, IMO, a bad filmmaker. DOTM saw him reign himself in, and let the subject matter be the show for once--with positive results.

I could definitely see where The Bayverse could rape someone's childhood. It didn't do that to mine--that was reserved for the Jurassic Park films. I am passionate about a good movie, and ever more so concerning movies that feature one of my favorite diversions and hobbies. I just need a good movie, not one dominated by editing and directorial gaffes and subjugated by the director's ego. So many movies--including all of the Jurassic Park films (noticing a trend here) and ROTF--end up in this category and it sucks to watch.

Honestly if the Movies raped someone's childhood, it is that person's fault not the movie and not the director. It is the person's fault because they are not capable of seeing anything beyond what they remember as a child. It is also the person's fault for continuing to compare the movieverse to G1 which it is not intended to be at all.

So you didn't like Bad Boys, The Rock, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, The Island, Transformers Trilogy? Which were all blockbusters directed by Bay. So he is definitely not the problem :bored

Like most things in many of the modern Transformers incarnations I love the story, well minus ROTF, but just absolutely hate, hate the character designs... I will admit though that many of the TFPrime designs have grown on me, but none of the movie toys(at least the ones of the main cast) have instilled me with any desire at all to collect them.

I think that may be part of the reason for the budget cut for TF4, the lackluster reception of the TF3 toyline by fans. A lot of the stores in my area haven't been able to put Prime figures out on the shelves yet due to still having boxes and boxes of DOTM deluxe and Cyberverse figures still in the backroom, and for some reason they can't just get rid of them...

I love the character designs because they are brand new, refreshing, modern and realistic. The toy issue is Hasbro's fault not the figures themselves. This is all Hasbro's fault for shoving all these down the throats of everyone. Especially the Bumblebee's\If I was still looking for figures I would ask you to find some for me.

Now the budget cut makes sense, cause the third film is usually the last of the high grossers. once you tip over to the 4th and beyond people are usually tired of the genre. Look at the 4th Pirates film it did less then At Worlds End. THe only franchise that was able to keep thing solid for all 8 movies was the Harry Potter series.

...Optimus got an all-new look?

Yeah the red and blue truck that turns into a robot with a red upper torso, blue legs, blue head with side "fins" and a grey face with a mouthplate, windshields on his chest, and Peter Cullen's voice was DEFINITELY never ever done before.....

I have to agree with the human issue as well. I'd actually have been ok with it if it focused mostly on the military, but not the whiny teenage boy and his relationship with a nasty looking chick that's downright excruciating to sit through (Carly was ok, but Mikaela made me want to shove my face into a vat of industrial strength degreaser...). noteable examples include movie 1's interrogation room scene with glenn and maggie. Can someone please tell me how this advances the plot at all? but the worst scene ever would probably be that stupid "frat party" scene that not only featured a downright terrible remix of "burnin down the house", but also established a character who....also had no place in the plot other than to be a decepticon that attacks sam and dies....

But then again ROTF's storyline was a trainwreck of CSX caliber...

...Optimus got an all-new look?

Yeah the red and blue truck that turns into a robot with a red upper torso, blue legs, blue head with side "fins" and a grey face with a mouthplate, windshields on his chest, and Peter Cullen's voice was DEFINITELY never ever done before.....

So you never saw the movies huh?

Cause you described G1 Prime, but not Movie Prime. :tflaugh

I really don't wanna see another Michael Bay catastrophe. :awsum

I agree, but it seems that Hasbro/Paramount are adamant on getting Bay on board again. :roll So I just hope that Bay LEARNS from his previous mistakes and tries to improve. As bad as DOTM was, it was a substantial improvement from ROTF - although the first movie remains the best IMO.

You look at the Star Wars Prequels which also got heaped with lots of criticism -- Lucas made conscious attempts to improve himself with each film. Revenge of the Sith was a lot better than Attack of the Clones, which was a lot better than Phantom Menace. While the Prequels may be weak films compared with the Original Trilogy, you can see that Lucas attempted to improve himself with each subsequent film, which shows that he does take some pride in his work.

e.g.:

+ Phantom Menace had that really long and boring (and plot-stalling) Pod Race. This was not repeated in Attack of the Clones, we didn't have long drawn out scenes that contributed nothing to advancing the story line.

+ A lot of people hated Jar Jar Binks who took up a LOT of screen time in Phantom Menace usually without contributing to the plot (same as Daniel and Wheelie in G1, who are widely hated characters in Transformers). In Attack of the Clones Jar Jar's appearance and dialogue is massively reduced - we only hear him speak when he's reunited with Anakin - only briefly - and a more extended dialogue when addressing the Senate, but that's fine because it was pushing ahead the story in getting that law passed for the Clone Army to go ahead (and ultimately planting the seeds for the Empire ;)). In Revenge of the Sith Jar Jar had zero dialogue and only appears briefly at Padmé's funeral procession.

+ Lucas himself admitted that the action choreography for the Clone Troopers in Attack of the Clones was bad -- they walked around like puppets just randomly shooting at stuff. For Revenge of the Sith he had a former Navy Seal in a motion tracking suit moving as he would in actual combat, and then had animators follow that movement for the Clone Troopers, that's why in that movie you'll see the Clones move in a more realistic fashion.

...so while I don't consider the Prequels to be as good as the Original Trilogy in terms of solid character-driven story telling, I do like the Prequels and I acknowledge that Lucas did make an attempt to make each movie better than the last. Lucas made an effort. The fact that ROTF was worse than TF1, and DOTM was better than ROTF but still plagued with all sorts of plot inconsistencies and absence of a substantial story, leaves me to wonder how much effort and pride Bay actually pumped into those movies as pieces of film literature, or if he just treats them as basic visual "rollercoaster/popcorn flicks" i.e. entertaining when watching them for the first time in cinemas, but have limited re-watch value. A good movie is one that you never get sick of watching... like The Empire Strikes Back. ;)

Honestly if the Movies raped someone's childhood, it is that person's fault not the movie and not the director. It is the person's fault because they are not capable of seeing anything beyond what they remember as a child. It is also the person's fault for continuing to compare the movieverse to G1 which it is not intended to be at all.

So you didn't like Bad Boys, The Rock, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, The Island, Transformers Trilogy? Which were all blockbusters directed by Bay. So he is definitely not the problem :bored

I love the character designs because they are brand new, refreshing, modern and realistic. The toy issue is Hasbro's fault not the figures themselves. This is all Hasbro's fault for shoving all these down the throats of everyone. Especially the Bumblebee's\If I was still looking for figures I would ask you to find some for me.

Now the budget cut makes sense, cause the third film is usually the last of the high grossers. once you tip over to the 4th and beyond people are usually tired of the genre. Look at the 4th Pirates film it did less then At Worlds End. THe only franchise that was able to keep thing solid for all 8 movies was the Harry Potter series.

In all honesty, LO: No. Up until the first TF movie, there was not a single film made by Field Marshall Bay that I even remotely liked, and the first Bayverse film was just okay. DOTM is the only movie of his that I like, and feel that was competently done. I did not like Bad Boys 1 or II, with good reason. Bad Boys 1 & II were just two comedians making Bay look really good; The Rock was stupid and deriviative; Pearl Harbor hit with all the directorial panache of Waterworld or Battlefield Earth: A History of The Year 3000 and made it plain that even in a historical piece, Bay is not able to overcome his ego. The subject matter alone will not make me give him a break of any sort; The Island is a straight up rip-off of Parts: The Clonus Horror, which is itself a piece of s**t. Check it out. It's not hype, or mean-spiritedness on the part of critics. It's true. Armageddon is one of the worst films of the last 25 years IMHO, easily eclipsig everything else on this list, and is easily in the same category as Gigli, Deep Impact, Skyscraper, Weasels Rip My Flesh or some of the Batman films from the mid-90's. Bay doesn't even try to rign himself in on this one. It's all Bay, all the time, and not even Liv Tyler's sexual sexiness can bail him out of that one. Even the soundtrack was horrific, a laurentian abyss of colossal proportions that staggered my senses and compromised the structural integrity of my prostate. And as bad as that was, ROTF is ever worse, existing in its own stygian category as a special kind of sh***y, kind of like Howard The Duck.

Except at least Howard The Duck had a young Lea Thompson in it.

A good chunk of '09 and '010 on this site and many others is dedicated to lambasting this horrific film, so I won't go into that again here. Just know that, for me, irregardless of how much $$$ ROTF or any other Mick Bay film makes, I will not care...because they are not good films, IMO. When he makes a good film, as happened with DOTM, I will be right there and give him credit. Short of that, well...you know what happens then. There is a substantial drop off in quality between a standard Bay film and almost anything else, certainly anything that is actually critically acclaimed.

In all honesty, LO: No. Up until the first TF movie, there was not a single film made by Field Marshall Bay that I even remotely liked, and the first Bayverse film was just okay. DOTM is the only movie of his that I like, and feel that was competently done. I did not like Bad Boys 1 or II, with good reason. Bad Boys 1 & II were just two comedians making Bay look really good; The Rock was stupid and deriviative; Pearl Harbor hit with all the directorial panache of Waterworld or Battlefield Earth: A History of The Year 3000 and made it plain that even in a historical piece, Bay is not able to overcome his ego. The subject matter alone will not make me give him a break of any sort; The Island is a straight up rip-off of Parts: The Clonus Horror, which is itself a piece of s**t. Check it out. It's not hype, or mean-spiritedness on the part of critics. It's true. Armageddon is one of the worst films of the last 25 years IMHO, easily eclipsig everything else on this list, and is easily in the same category as Gigli, Deep Impact, Skyscraper, Weasels Rip My Flesh or some of the Batman films from the mid-90's. Bay doesn't even try to rign himself in on this one. It's all Bay, all the time, and not even Liv Tyler's sexual sexiness can bail him out of that one. Even the soundtrack was horrific, a laurentian abyss of colossal proportions that staggered my senses and compromised the structural integrity of my prostate. And as bad as that was, ROTF is ever worse, existing in its own stygian category as a special kind of sh***y, kind of like Howard The Duck.

Except at least Howard The Duck had a young Lea Thompson in it.

A good chunk of '09 and '010 on this site and many others is dedicated to lambasting this horrific film, so I won't go into that again here. Just know that, for me, irregardless of how much $$$ ROTF or any other Mick Bay film makes, I will not care...because they are not good films, IMO. When he makes a good film, as happened with DOTM, I will be right there and give him credit. Short of that, well...you know what happens then. There is a substantial drop off in quality between a standard Bay film and almost anything else, certainly anything that is actually critically acclaimed.

I liked Howard the Duck....

• as far as a toyline for TF4 I would hope that Hasbro learns from the debacle that was the DOTM toyline, and focuses more on the core cast from the movie (mostly for all you movie-verse collectors) in deluxes, Voyagers, and Leaders, and with decent Cyberverse figures, THEN focus on secondary characters that did not appear in the film with new style molds that can appeal to non-movie collector's a'la Bludgeon, Skyhammer, Terradive, and Tomahawk. Also it is my hope that Hasbro would not focus so heavily on different gimmicks which would require a ridiculous amount of the same characters to be produced to accomodate the different style movie-lines, thus choking out whatever other lines were out before and forcing premature cancellation.

Archived