TF Animated cartoon coming to hub in July

Shadowpanther

I loved and still love animated, including the toys. Cybertron's toyline all had mediocre and basic transformations too. While Cybertron was the cartoon that propelled Starscream to be my #1 favorite transformer, the toyline fails in comparison to animated IMO

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved and still love animated, including the toys. Cybertron's toyline all had mediocre and basic transformations too. While Cybertron was the cartoon that propelled Starscream to be my #1 favorite transformer, the toyline fails in comparison to animated IMO

yeah the disproportionate limbs and soft plastic, where it was simply a 5 sequence transformation at most to transform the figure, and also looking like the whole line and cartoon was designed by a first grader, while Cybertron the figures had more intricate transformations, better posability, though Supreme Starscream did suffer, Voyager Starscream made up for it. and I have a hard time believing you could find an animated character that looks better then Crosswise, or even one of the bad ones, like Scourge, and no one can. because all animated was geared for was 7y/o and below :P

1) Hell to the NO with the "Animated Ultimate" DVD set. I don't want to ditch my S1 and S2 sets. S2 was a BITCH to find. Just give me an S3 set and I'll be a happy camper.

2) It's obviously a difference of opinion, but Animated > Cybertron. There's several reasons. First, the translation from Galaxy Force to Cybertron was boned up. Second, a short list:

Metroplex

Menosaur

Override

Unicron

Thundercracker/Skywarp

Lugnutz

Brimstone

Backstop

Crumplezone

All mediocre to terrible figures. The only mediocre to terrible figure that comes to mind in Animated is Jetstorm/Jetfire. I could go on, but I'll stop there.

Yes, Animated is a singular canon and it's hard to adapt the figures to a subsequent line. However, isn't that the goal of a toymaker? To make each series so vastly different from the last that the new toys would be sought after? How many Cybertron figures were recycled into a new line? Not very many that I can think of. Certainly none of the real popular figures. I don't get the Animated bashing. All I can boil it down to is that it was so cut from the cloth that those who despise change just automatically despised Animated. Personally, I'll always have a place in my heart for cel animated versus CGI.

As for Prime, I have liked the series so far. It's not perfect, and the CGI is soulless at times, but I think it's a fine add to the TF universe. For Transformers to survive as a franchise, they constantly need to change the aesthetics. Not just with the shows, but with the figures and the premise as well. If they had the same backstory or recycled said back story over and over, the show would be done. Let go of the old, embrace the new.

Except in 3 seasons, Animated had the least amount of figures for a series, Animated was a failure that is why it got canceled. Nobody likes to accept it, but its true

17 Activators

9 Bumper Battlers

25 Deluxe Figures

5 Leaders

6 Store Exclusives

1 Supreme

12 Voyagers

69 Total releases that is sad for such a show, that is claimed ti be great., yet something as mediocre as Cybertron? 100 figures in a shorter amount of time, and none canceled

Animated was a failure Blitz, I still remember Animated sitting on shelfs well into last year. The biggest shelf warmer was Soundwave, and bulkhead

Animated was a 'failure' because the relationship between Cartoon Network and Hasbro deteriorated after their deal with Discovery.

On January 25, 2008 the first regular episode of the Transformers Animated cartoon premiered as the #1 boys show in its time slot, significantly better ratings than previous CN programming

Don't recall Cybertron getting such an accolade.

So... tell me again, outside of your personal bias, why Animated was such a failure.

Animated was a 'failure' because the relationship between Cartoon Network and Hasbro deteriorated after their deal with Discovery.

On January 25, 2008 the first regular episode of the Transformers Animated cartoon premiered as the #1 boys show in its time slot, significantly better ratings than previous CN programming

So... tell me again, outside of your personal bias, why Animated was such a failure.

69 figures spanning 3 seasons, none are in high demand, only getting seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and not the final 3rd season.final 4 figures not seeing the light of day. constant switching of time slots.. It started in the afternoon when to mornings and earlier mornings. The animation was horrible, stories were pathetic. And they shelfwarmed like crazy. Supreme Roll out Optimus Prime actually gave BM Supreme Cheetor a run for its money as far as being on clearance for way less then the MSRP. All were notorious shelfwarmers.. I was seeing them at ROSS up until this past February. still on pegs at Walgreens, Big Lots and gathering dust in the K-Mart clearance aisle.

Sorry Blitz but you can not just go with its premiere you have to see how it did throughout which was bad. The only show that drew more complaints than Animated was BM. If it had surpassed BM here, then it would have been the worst of all time. :tflaugh

But BM gets to hold on to that title :tflaugh

Except Cybertron Soundwave has a defect that wont let him transform all the way to jet mode properly. Is that saying something when one of your best figures has a huge flaw? My Cybertron Soundwave is one of my least favorite Soundwaves in my collection. And thats saying something because usually Im hugely biased to be for any SW figure. Laserbeak I liked. Thats about it with Cybertron. Nothing outside of the Unicron placeholder was worth my time.

When our children are old they will be scrambling for Animated, not Cybertron bro.

Except Cybertron Soundwave has a defect that wont let him transform all the way to jet mode properly. Is that saying something when one of your best figures has a huge flaw? My Cybertron Soundwave is one of my least favorite Soundwaves in my collection. And thats saying something because usually Im hugely biased to be for any SW figure. Laserbeak I liked. Thats about it with Cybertron. Nothing outside of the Unicron placeholder was worth my time.

When our children are old they will be scrambling for Animated, not Cybertron bro.

What defect? mine transforms into his jet mode with no problems, and my kids wont be scrambling for Cybertron because they will have the entire Cybertron line All I need 3 more and my Cybertron line will be complete

69 figures spanning 3 seasons, none are in high demand, only getting seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and not the final 3rd season.final 4 figures not seeing the light of day. constant switching of time slots.. It started in the afternoon when to mornings and earlier mornings. The animation was horrible, stories were pathetic. And they shelfwarmed like crazy. Supreme Roll out Optimus Prime actually gave BM Supreme Cheetor a run for its money as far as being on clearance for way less then the MSRP. All were notorious shelfwarmers.. I was seeing them at ROSS up until this past February. still on pegs at Walgreens, Big Lots and gathering dust in the K-Mart clearance aisle.

Sorry Blitz but you can not just go with its premiere you have to see how it did throughout which was bad. The only show that drew more complaints than Animated was BM. If it had surpassed BM here, then it would have been the worst of all time. :tflaugh

About 1/3 of Cybertron was straight repaints or else rehash from Energon/Armada

CGI was flawed

Cybertron also suffered from variable time slots

Imperfect translation that was altered by Hasbro due to 'needing to be more Western friendly'

Horrible Cyber Key placement resulting in subpar figures

Seems like Cybertron had it's own share of shelfwarmers. Figures like Backstop, Menasor and Override were part of that designation due to the fact they were HORRIBLE figures. You lose the Cyber Key and you're pretty much ass out on the toy's gimmick. The battle sequences on Cybertron were most times a joke. While Cybertron had it's good qualities, it also had some pretty bad ones.

I'm not saying Animated is perfect. Supreme OP was craptastic. Animated's one true flaw is that Hasbro botched it on multiple levels. The long delay between the show's debut and the toyline release was a major SNAFU. The CN/Hasrbo relationship didn't go well.

This could end up like the G1/BW arguements all over again. Waiting for your next line of defense, sir.

I don't get the Animated bashing. All I can boil it down to is that it was so cut from the cloth that those who despise change just automatically despised Animated.

At first I hated Animated. I thought it was

A. Horrible animation

B. Too kiddy

But after rewatching the series, I've grown to like it.

I'd still prefer some of the other series, like Beast Wars, Armada, or Cybertron to air over it, but I'll watch it and enjoy it nonetheless

Have to agree with Onslaught here, I'm still seeing animated figs here shelfwarming with the tuner Mudflaps at every Rite-Aid in the area. The Animated toys were such a huge flop you can't even give them away.

I've never had that problem with Cybertron Soundwave, and at one point I had three of them, it's an excellent figure! Sooo much better than anything from Animated.

Archived