Jin's TFC Iron Army (Power core combiner limbs) pictorial review

Jin Saotome

((Since the review is twice as long as my normals ones I'll post half here. For the other half head over to my 5-Minute Toy Review blog and check out this amazing set!))

------------------------------------------------------------------

TFC Toys got its name in the Transformers world by making the 'Hercules' (aka Not-Devastator) and has a new 2-part set out, the Iron Army. These original-character-bots are not based on a Transformers licensed character so you can't get in trouble for owning these and perhaps the first 3rd Party toy like this. I was absolutely thrilled to see a 3rd party company taking the first step towards going legit and hope to see more original transforming robots in the future. So let's see what we have here.

IronArmy1.JPG

Packaging is a sturdy, voyager-sized box that contains two sets of bots in vehicle mode and looks nice doing so. There's no bio on the box but you get instructions and two trading cards (cardboard) with neat sketches of the real live vehicles along with their specifications. As mentioned the alt modes are real life vehicles and their robot modes sport a look supporting the country of origin. Tiger Tank bot has a German helmet and iron cross, T-34 has a Russian star and Cossack hat on. Cool!

IronArmy3.JPG

Sculpt for the vehicle modes is really well done and matches up fairly close to the real life vehicle source material. There are exceptions like the giant PCC port at the front of the tanks and the planes have been shortened a bit with smaller jutting wing fins. Still they're recognizable and sharply sculpted with care. Tank turrets swivel and raise. You get a hand and a foot with each set and the foot unfolds into a hand weapon.

IronArmy2.JPG

Transformation to robot mode is a snap, just unfold and unpeg. You could do this without the instructions but the pictures are there if you get stuck. Each bot is somewhat of a partsformer, the planes having removable tail/front sections that fold into weapons and the tanks holding their turrets as weapons. This is totally acceptable and looks pretty cool considering the weapons are also held by the combined robot.

IronArmy4.JPG

Articulation is scout-like with ball shoulders and hips. All bots have a waist and knees tho the Shinden's arms are less posable than Mustang's because of the design. The planes have a bit harder time standing than the tanks because of their small footing and that the hips are very close together. The tanks have fold-out feet and can get into cool running poses. Paint work is crisp and clean all the way around down to their tiny eyes and nation chest symbol.

IronArmy5.JPG

And for the rest of the review...head over here!

Actually, Hercules was not their first venture into transformers, John. The first figures they made were the "Targetroids" sets, which were target masters of Optimus prime, Megatron, Starscream and Hotrod

Actually, Hercules was not their first venture into transformers, John. The first figures they made were the "Targetroids" sets, which were target masters of Optimus prime, Megatron, Starscream and Hotrod

You are correct. But everywhere I go they're only mentioned for making Devy. I don't even know who owns the Targetroids. I only just learned about them a few months ago and I thought I was up to date on all that stuff.

Wasn't TFC Roller the company's first Transformer toy? It was made to go with MP-01 and the leader class Optimus Prime from the first movie.

Anyway, I got the TFC Iron Army toys in the mail today. They are great. I found PCC Steelshot at TRU to go with them. Heavy Tread seems to be the ideal PCC, but I'm not going to take any extra effort, or pay too much, for that toy. Besides, I feel like another tank would be redundant.

Archived