attic storage

puma

So i need to start putting my boxes of boxes up in the attic to get them out of the garage. i have many questions regarding this. I live in TX and the heat is my main concern. Will the heat warp or damage my boxes of (mostly) empty boxes? The boxes are stored in large cardboard boxes. should i remove them from those and use a more sturdier storage bin like this?

892046000331xl.jpg

I would feel safer if i put them into actual storage bins rather than keeping them in the boxes. i don't think i have any pests up in the attic that would eat through cardboard but i'd rather be preventative from the get go. i also think these would stack nicer than boxes.

what do you guys think??

I would consider putting some sort of ventilation so that hot air can escape. Also, humidity would be a factor. Is the attic weather sealed? I would put a humidity guage up there and do some measuring to make sure it's not overly humid. Heat+Humidity=Plastic Killer

Everything plastic in my attic yellowed after a few years being in the attic. I had a ton of Star Wars carded figs turn to crap. I should have known better...

I can't say anything to elements changing them if they're put into plastic bins, as I turned the apartment's bedroom into a storage room. (sleep in the living room, kinda of studio-y like)...but I'll tell you, I didn't think I'd be so happy to go from cardboard boxes to plastic bins for storage. After all, it's just moving one thing in a box, into another box, but I was really pleased when I was finished. :tflaugh Now I just need to get things finished and sort them out.

Everything plastic in my attic yellowed after a few years being in the attic. I had a ton of Star Wars carded figs turn to crap. I should have known better...

was that due to heat??

I could only assume so. I dont think I ever had them displayed in an area with sunlight. I had a Darth Maul signed by Ray Park in a star case in a locker in the garage (not in the attic) and the bubble yellowed. I dont think I have ever heard of heat yellowing plastic, but I dont think most people have ever heard of south Texas heat either lol

was that due to heat??

I could only assume so. I dont think I ever had them displayed in an area with sunlight. I had a Darth Maul signed by Ray Park in a star case in a locker in the garage (not in the attic) and the bubble yellowed. I dont think I have ever heard of heat yellowing plastic, but I dont think most people have ever heard of south Texas heat either lol

ha. well i think i'm just going to keep everything in the garage then. I'm planning on buying a shed to move my yard work gear and bicycles to. I was also wanting to remove the work bench from the garage and place it in the shed. theres some good space where the work bench is that could easily be used to store boxes and give me back the garage.

Yellowing is a natural side effect to plastic over a long period of item if exposed to UV rays. Ever see wall pack lighting fixtures on the side of a building and notice some of the lenses are yellow instead of white during the day? The ultraviolet of the sun degrades the plastics, causing the yellow film. Heat accelerates it. The trick to storing plastic is a COOL, DRY environment.

Archived