Why,The UGLY robot heads on Media TF toys.

Shadowpanther

Why are TF:Prime characters even a part of this conversation. I don't care much for the show, but there's certainly nothing wrong with the heads of the characters.

As for the whole "aliens" thing, why does that mean that Transformers have to have faces made from scrap metal? Why can't they have the smooth faces like in G1, or perhaps something slightly more mechanical in appearance but mostly smooth?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are TF:Prime characters even a part of this conversation. I don't care much for the show, but there's certainly nothing wrong with the heads of the characters.

As for the whole "aliens" thing, why does that mean that Transformers have to have faces made from scrap metal? Why can't they have the smooth faces like in G1, or perhaps something slightly more mechanical in appearance but mostly smooth?

None of the Prime characters have noses? honesly I don't care for the heads because they lack emotion they are too bland, at least with the movie characters you could actually tell what they were feeling

I can't provide a link or anything, but while watching some extras on the first movie DVD, one of the writers stated Skorponok was intended to be a Beast Wars reference. I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure that's what was said. Even though there was a G1 character of that name, this Skorponok was supposed to be a Beast Wars homage.

That's really weak. The only thing movie Scorponok has in common with his namesakes is:

+ Same name

+ He's a scorpion

...that's IT. How do we know it's a homage to G1 Scorponok or Beast Wars Scorponok or Energon Scorponok??? It's far to vague a reference to narrow it down and say, "Yes, that's a Beast Wars reference!"

I mean, ROTF had an Insecticon in it... does that make it a reference to BW Insecticon? The toy is even called "Insecticon," which was first used as a character name in Beast Wars (in G1 it was only ever a sub group faction name). But maybe it's a reference to Energon Insecticon... who knows!

Also, you would know this better than me, but was the concept of sparks and the All-Spark in any TF series other than the Beast series before the first movie was made?

The concept itself originated in G1. The G1 comics referred to the Transformers as possessing a "life essence," whereas in the G1 cartoon it was called the "laser core." If either were extinguished, then the Transformer would die. The term "Spark" originated from Beast Wars. The term "All Spark" also originated from Beast Wars, but it referred to the plane of existence "where all are one"; i.e. the source of Transformers Sparks and where they were destined to return upon death to add to the collective wisdom/knowledge of the All Spark. The Matrix was one way that one could commune with the All Spark, as by Optimus Prime and Rodimus Prime in the G1 cartoon (although they referred to it as communing with the Matrix, it was Beast Wars who coined the term "All Spark"). In Beast Machines we see Optimus Primal in the All Spark where he communicates with the Oracle and the deceased Spark of Rhinox. Oh, and Rhinox previously had to retrieve Optimus Primal's Spark from the All Spark when they rebuilt him as a Transmetal.

The AllSpark Cube, while sharing the same name, is an entirely different concept, which is more like the Underbase from G1 - which was also a rectangular prism, incredible source of knowledge/power, ejected from Cybertron into space and eventually found its way to Earth and was destroyed (when it was absorbed by a Decepticon's body) except for a small sliver (which created Zombie Starscream :P). ;) :)

I guess some people don't like them because they break away from the orthodox Japanese mecha design of Transformers. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but whenever it happens there are people who complain. We first saw it with Beast Wars, then the movies, then Animated, now Prime. Although I don't know too many people who'd consider Beast Machines Silverbolt to be a fine looking toy. ;)

Because metal is pliable like skin, it's stiff. And they want faces that can move mouths and physically emote without looking cartoony in a photo-realistic setting,

Also, did Bay introduce the fact that Optimus has a mouth under his face plate? I could have sworn it was done in the G1 comic book.

The earliest example of Optimus Prime with a mouth was in 1984/85 - Big Looker Storybook's "The Great Car Rally" showed Optimus Prime with a mouth. He also has a blue face (like Animated Prime, only 23-24 years earlier). Then in the episode "The Search For Alpha Trion" (original US airdate 12/11/85) Optimus Prime was shown without his mouthplate -- although that's really just an animation error and was never intentional. But still looks frea-kay! :P In the last issue of the Time Wars (#205, Feb 1987) Powermaster Super Optimus Prime's faceplate is damaged and we see a glimpse of what's underneath. In G1 US#76 (Jan 1991); "Still Life!") we see the shattered (but still living!) remains of Powermaster Super Optimus Prime with his faceplate shattered off. This appears to be the inspiration for the mouth underneath Masterpiece Optimus Prime's faceplate...

th_MPoptimusmouth.jpg

Then there was Transformers Generation 2, where we actually got to see Optimus Prime's mouth a three times... #1 and twice in #12.

1995: G2 Go-Bot Optimus Prime had a mouth.

1997: Machine Wars Optimus Prime had a mouth.

1997-2001: Optimus Primal had a mouth in Beast Wars/Machines.

2005: Galaxy Convoy (Cybertron Optimus Prime) had a mouth. The Leader Class toy also was the first to feature a faceplate that could slide on and off.

optimusprime_mouthes.jpg

Clockwise from top left: Big Looker Great Car Rally, Cybertron, Machine Wars, Animated, Movieverse, G2 Go-Bot

If he did, that's good on him as well. Also, he did homages to different continuities.....Beast Wars,
Where is the Beast Wars homage in movieverse? The closest I can think of is Alice, because she transforms into a human (which is an animal). But that appears unintentional -- conceptual designs explicitly refer to her as a "Pretender," even though that's not what Pretenders do, at least in G1 (they're just normal Pretenders who hide inside human or monster shells). But as far as the movieverse is concerned, she's a Pretender.

Beast wars was Scorponok. I read that's what he was intended to be.

Armada,

For example?

When Jetfire "kind of" merged with Optimus Prime.

Not sure if that's an intended or coincidental homage. Also, Soundwave had hentacles in ROTF -- when he did the nasty with that satellite. ;)

Yes, this is true!! It's just coincidental and I merely through it in as a joke.

Thanks for the Optimus Prime mouth plate lesson. Very interesting. And I never knew MP Prime's mouth plate

Could be removed. I know what I'm doing tonight.

Not sure if that's an intended or coincidental homage. Also, Soundwave had hentacles in ROTF -- when he did the nasty with that satellite. ;)

Yes, this is true!! It's just coincidental and I merely through it in as a joke.

Thanks for the Optimus Prime mouth plate lesson. Very interesting. And I never knew MP Prime's mouth plate

Becareful with removing Optimus's mouthplate Fatherdeth, what Gok failed to mention is it can come off but is not suppose to

Becareful with removing Optimus's mouthplate Fatherdeth, what Gok failed to mention is it can come off but is not suppose to

Thanks!!! I haven't messed with it yet, and I don't think I will now!!

Thanks!!! I haven't messed with it yet, and I'm not doing it now!!

Not a problem, I'm one of those where even if the figure has an intended gem with it, if it is something where I have to remove a piece of the figure in order to get it to work. I will not do it as there is the chance of figure being permanently broken.

To answer your question in bold, see my earlier statement in bold...

Eeehhh, that's still a pretty weak homage (just as Alice is a weak Pretender homage).

Yeah okay, I'll buy that. ;)

Not a problem, I'm one of those where even if the figure has an intended gem with it, if it is something where I have to remove a piece of the figure in order to get it to work. I will not do it as there is the chance of figure being permanently broken.

Yeah, I kind of that with the movement feature, it probably wasn't a good idea. It's pretty cool that there is a molded mouth. I don't want to mess him up though.

Eeehhh, that's still a pretty weak homage (just as Alice is a weak Pretender homage).

Hahahahaha!! It would have been better had they actually combined instead of Prime looking like a junk pile of parts and losing one of the coolest characters in the movie series.

Alice was a nice idea, probably could have been executed a little better.

Yeah, I kind of that with the movement feature, it probably wasn't a good idea. It's pretty cool that there is a molded mouth. I don't want to mess him up though.

Hahahahaha!! It would have been better had they actually combined instead of Prime looking like a junk pile of parts and losing one of the coolest characters in the movie series.

Alice was a nice idea, probably could have been executed a little better.

Optimus wasn't built to merge with a Decepticon who was (i think) older than he was....

Archived