Confrontations over a toy

SuperSaiyanGoku

but I have been tailed through the store by security

When I use to live in another state & this one TRU was within walking distance. I use to get tailed by security because they thought I was trying to steal the toy from inside the box. Because when I buy a new mold TF toy,i'm a perfectionist. I look inside the box to look for scratches,sloppy paint decals,broken parts,the best C-10 box or blister card. apparenty the security at this one TRU store thought my perfectionist behavior was stealing behavior traits.

Traits of a thief are typically opening packages in the store that have yet to be paid for. Thus security following you.

MISB is hard for me to do. My mom gave me some great advice in that: "If you can't play with it and enjoy it then whats the point?" So just about everything gets opened, displayed and occasionally played with. There are some exceptions though. If it's something hard to find, a packaging variant or if I just really like the packaging I'll leave it unopened. Thats why I buy older toys loose, so I don't have to agonize over ruining a box that will never exist again.

I don't open up the box/blister card bubble to check to defects. I only look thru the sealed package for a few minutes trying to see any defects.

I buy two of each newer in store figure I like. one to keep MISB. The other to open up & display on a shelf

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the flip side, I recount two separate incidents (at a Wal-Mart and a Target) when a kid has straight up tried to snatch a toy away from me. An arrogant cur tried to take HFTD Terradive right out of my hands at Wal-Mart after a long search that culminated in me finally finding the toy hidden behind a bunch of Bakugan stock. About 2 weeks before that, some punk-ass kid tried to up and take HFTD/ROTF LC Starscream out of my shopping basket at Target. I wound up having to angle and snatch the whole basket away to avoid a confrontation with the punks parents--assuming they were in the store.

You can't go taking stuff out of somebody's basket. You can't go trying to take something out of someone's f***ing hands. I draw the line there. Anything else, I'd defer to the kid on (almost) any other circumstance. For instance: if I'm out for a day in town, just happen to wander into Target and find that special Prime toy I've been looking for at the same time a child sees it and wants it...I'll defer to the kid.

That's just downright rude and disrespectful. And you would have a good case to argue assault, because if someone is snatching something from your hands, they've invaded your personal space in a hostile manner. I'd be giving that kid a good earbashing, or at very least call security. Sure, the toy still technically doesn't belong to you until you purchase it, but nobody has the right to invade your personal space like that.

Children are vicious, terrible, utterly reprehensible things, and at the very least are never to be trusted. Especially this latest batch of whiny, spoiled, self entitled miscreants.

Children are to the world right now what Uwe Boll is to movies.

Children are The Evil. Self-absorbed, sinister, nihilistic, self-absorbed, self-destructive, arrogant, whiny, ungrateful, unrepentent, impertinent, materialistic, illiterate, lazy, delusional, paranoid sacks of snot whose main function in life seem to repeat the word "MINE!" over and over and over again and raise the stress level of overworked, innocent or at least semi-innocent adults, whose main concern is the fairly benign goal of furthering the species.

It depends... some kids are great, others are terrors.

Adults should be allowed to carry a switch/wooden spoon/extension cord or just a plain old belt on their hip (if not around their waist!) to deal with the little monsters as they deserve: with extreme prejudice and a liberal amount of BELT.

Or perhaps teach them this little thing called R E S P O N S I B I L I T Y. You guys are absolutely right about a lot of kids today being very self entitled... although it's the adults who are to blame, because we've raised them that way. Generation Y are imbued with a massive sense of self-righteousness and self-entitlement because since they were young they've been told by adults all about their rights. Children today are experts about their rights! They know what they're entitled to, they know what you can and can't do to them. Experts! And that's not necessarily a bad thing in itself... the bad part is when you teach children about rights, but don't teach them that rights come with responsibility! It's like when you see someone spouting something really offensive (like say, some homophobic crap). And when someone tells them to shut up, they cry, "Nuh-uh, Freedom of Speech! I have the right to say what I want." Umm... yes, you have the right to free speech, but with that comes a responsibility not to use that right to hurt other people! And if people are willing to abuse a right... then REMOVE (or diminish) it.

There are great kids, and there are crap kids. And you'll find that the basic difference between them is that the bad kid is full of self-entitlement, whereas the good kid has this thing called self-responsibility. And studies have shown that kids who excel at school tend to be those to have a better developed sense of self-responsibility. For example, when a bad kid fails at school, they blame the teachers, they blame the school... it's everyone else's fault but their own! A good kid will just try their best to succeed, and if they struggle, they'll work harder or take the initiative to ask for help. Sure, sometimes you get bad teachers, sometimes life deals you lemons... laying blame on others isn't going to fix the problem. IMO an effective way of turning kids around onto the right path is just to teach them to accept responsibility for their own actions.

Just the other day I said to kid, "Do whatever you want." And she said, "Really? Are you serious?", and I said, "Yep. You can even dress out of uniform if you want. Do what you like. Just be prepared to accept the consequences for your actions if you do it." -- she shut up after that. ;) When our 3 year old is being uncooperative, like not wanting to eat her food. I'll say to her, 「悪いコーナーに立ちたい?」("Do you want to stand in the naughty corner?")... she'll whimper for a bit, then shake her head... then start eating. And if she tries to refuse, I say to her, 「御飯を食べなかったら悪いコーナーに立っていなさいよ」("If you don't eat your food, you have to stand in the naughty corner"); i.e. I explicitly tell her what the exact consequences of her actions are. I've always done this with her since she was 1. After I deliver this ultimatum, most of the time she'll comply, and I usually promise a reward (i.e. we can watch Doctor Who after dinner, but she can't watch it if she doesn't eat :D). On the rare occasion when she still refuses, then it's Welcome to Cornersville. Population: You. ;)

4 years ago, I would have agreed with you 100%. Now, from the inside looking out, I can say for me that a parent can raise a kid, but the f***ing neighborhood will ruin the child. It's like they filter past everything you try to teach them, and absorb and act out all the stuff you taught them NOT to do, falling deeper and deeper into this nihilistic world. It sounds like the world the band Tool described on their Undertow and Aenima records. Very distrurbing, dark and depressing. I'd hate to be a kid in this age, with the archetypes--all self-absorbed, hyper-sexual and completely superficial--they have to look up to.

That's true. As parents all we can do is raise our kids as best we can and hope that they'll make the right choices. And let them know that with every choice comes a consequence - it may be a good consequence or bad consequence, but there will ALWAYS be a consequence. I've seen some good kids who hang out with bad kids, but they remain good kids. It's like, they can allow themselves to be friends with bad kids, but they're able to maintain a moral high ground and rise above their peers and not let them drag them down to their level. So they'll hang out, play together or what not, but when the bad kids wanna go off to do something bad like smoking, the good kid will just say, "No thanks, I'm right," Whenever I see kids like that, I applaud their parents. :)

Traits of a thief are typically opening packages in the store that have yet to be paid for. Thus security following you.

Yeah, but competent thieves don't stand around for ages staring at the product they want to steal. They'll rifle it in a second, ravage the packaging, slip the product in their pocket, then casually walk out of the store. It happens in a blink of an eye. For someone to be standing there carefully inspecting a way to open a package in order to steal it... they're not likely to be a shoplifter!

MISB is hard for me to do. My mom gave me some great advice in that: "If you can't play with it and enjoy it then whats the point?" So just about everything gets opened, displayed and occasionally played with.

Yeah, I don't see the point in buying something if you're not going to use it, and the primary use of a toy is to play with it. I don't buy books and not read them, or buy food and not eat it. Likewise if I buy a toy, I'm gonna want to play with it! If not, then I don't see the purpose in wasting my money on it.

There are some exceptions though. If it's something hard to find, a packaging variant or if I just really like the packaging I'll leave it unopened. Thats why I buy older toys loose, so I don't have to agonize over ruining a box that will never exist again.

You mean like what I did with this MOSC Goldbug that I bought last year? ;)

parrameet_20110220e.jpgfreedom.jpg

I don't open up the box/blister card bubble to check to defects. I only look thru the sealed package for a few minutes trying to see any defects.

Ceebs dude. I just get the toy. If there's a defect, I bring it back for an exchange or refund. :P

I buy two of each newer in store figure I like. one to keep MISB. The other to open up & display on a shelf

...that sounds expensive. :O (I find collecting ONE of each toy to be dear enough!)

Trying to get there, man! Certain things, he knows not to push with (like don't play with my food; don't kick me in the crotch; don't transform a toy I specifically told you not to transform and do your damn homework), but part of it is me knowing my own boundaries as well as dealing with the way my dad raised me. More of it than I am comfortable speaking about has followed me into adulthood, and most of it is not good.

The funny thing with me is I was raised to be respectful and to help others, while at the same time I learned the importance of hard work. So if you wanted something you worked for it. I was also raised to not start a fight but I better be the one left standing. Which has gotten me in trouble at times but also gotten me out of trouble by being able to claim self defense. LOL

It also helped that I was raised with a military mindset also. Which is probably why I'm more comfortable around other military people then I am around people who have never served. I also do not put up with BS, just one more thing to deal with that is not necessary. I just like the fact that I can take my kids to the store and not have to worry about them making a scene when I do not buy them anything. I usually will tell then Next time or do you see me buying Transformers? No?

The problem I keep seeing people having kids, and then letting TV and video games raise them. Put a little effort into parenting people! My kids get 2 hours of TV a day and 1 hour of video games every other day AFTER homework and chores are done, and with the DVR I dictate what they watch. It's a healty mix of Disney, Nickleodeon, Nat Geo, Animal Planet and such. They do get to watch more on the weekends, but that's accompanied by a requirement to play outside 3 out of 4 seasons, and I take themto the park or ride my bike with them instead of just leaving them to their own devices. Parenting isn't a passive job.

When it comes to disciplne I'm strict but not punitive. My middle boy decided to test some boundaries late last year. I told him he could get a Kre-o Optimus or a Kre-o Bumblebee (the $8 ones). Well, he wanted Kre-o Ratchet instead, and thought standing there with his arms crossed being pissy was the way to get it. Long story short, he walked out with nothing, and I haven't had an attitude problem at the store since.

I realize not everyone is lucky enough to be able to move to a nice neighborhood or pick a decent school district, but a parent can and should do everything possible to be the biggest influence in their childrens lives.

The thing about kids nowadays is that I believe there has been a paradigmatic shift away from kids being kids and kids being teenagers without the maturity or intellect. They are being trained to be older these days by friends, strangers, day care facilities and the schools themselves.

It reminds me somewhat of this documentary I saw years ago on Animal Planet or Discovery about elephants. Elephants are fascinating creatures, with brains that more or less function the same way that our brains function: they seem to feel, emote, have cultures, families and seem to remember their loved ones. They also react the same way so many children (particularly boys) react when there is no older, positive male influence in their lives. There used to be massive cullings of adult elephants, male and female in Africa decades ago, and the calves were left without parents. Some where taken in by circuses, and some were left to fend for themselves. Well, some of these young elephants (predominantly males, if I recall) grew up, formed what can only be called "gangs," and proceeded to harass and kill anything smaller than they were, as if they were in a permanent state of musth. Hippos, rhinos, people: they were all fair game. It wasn't until a large adult bull elephant was introduced to them that the elephant "gangbangers" got in line and began to act like normal, healthy elephants. This seems to dovetail nicely with what human children and teenagers tend to do under broadly similar circumstances, but there is also this nihilistic undertone that is becoming ever more progressively apparent.

The thing is, when I was a kid, I knew what my boundaries were without having to have them outlined to me. I was a knucklehead if you let me be, all kids are to some degree, but I knew what the limits were, and I knew what not to expect and what to expect. And it wasn't just me. All the kids I knew tended to fall into this broad outline more or less; the number of spoiled brats I knew were not a significant portion of the kiddie population.

However, today? The reverse of that seems to be true, and in some (not all) instances, it almost seems to defy parenting. What I've seen, is that simply more work, more words, more positive re-inforcement and--when necessary--dutifully enforced punishments (both capital and otherwise) is necessary to overcome the often deleterious effects of "The Neighborhood" and destroy the nihilistic framework which I personally believe to be the default condition of the human race. And it seems to defy where you grew up or how you grew up, or even the cultural and racial differences that exist across the vast parental spectrum. I've known kids from good homes and rich neighborhoods that acted like s**t and some that acted truly decent, and the reverse of that is also true.

The thing about kids nowadays is that I believe there has been a paradigmatic shift away from kids being kids and kids being teenagers without the maturity or intellect. They are being trained to be older these days by friends, strangers, day care facilities and the schools themselves.

It reminds me somewhat of this documentary I saw years ago on Animal Planet or Discovery about elephants. Elephants are fascinating creatures, with brains that more or less function the same way that our brains function: they seem to feel, emote, have cultures, families and seem to remember their loved ones. They also react the same way so many children (particularly boys) react when there is no older, positive male influence in their lives. There used to be massive cullings of adult elephants, male and female in Africa decades ago, and the calves were left without parents. Some where taken in by circuses, and some were left to fend for themselves. Well, some of these young elephants (predominantly males, if I recall) grew up, formed what can only be called "gangs," and proceeded to harass and kill anything smaller than they were, as if they were in a permanent state of musth. Hippos, rhinos, people: they were all fair game. It wasn't until a large adult bull elephant was introduced to them that the elephant "gangbangers" got in line and began to act like normal, healthy elephants. This seems to dovetail nicely with what human children and teenagers tend to do under broadly similar circumstances, but there is also this nihilistic undertone that is becoming ever more progressively apparent.

The thing is, when I was a kid, I knew what my boundaries were without having to have them outlined to me. I was a knucklehead if you let me be, all kids are to some degree, but I knew what the limits were, and I knew what not to expect and what to expect. And it wasn't just me. All the kids I knew tended to fall into this broad outline more or less; the number of spoiled brats I knew were not a significant portion of the kiddie population.

However, today? The reverse of that seems to be true, and in some (not all) instances, it almost seems to defy parenting. What I've seen, is that simply more work, more words, more positive re-inforcement and--when necessary--dutifully enforced punishments (both capital and otherwise) is necessary to overcome the often deleterious effects of "The Neighborhood" and destroy the nihilistic framework which I personally believe to be the default condition of the human race. And it seems to defy where you grew up or how you grew up, or even the cultural and racial differences that exist across the vast parental spectrum. I've known kids from good homes and rich neighborhoods that acted like s**t and some that acted truly decent, and the reverse of that is also true.

I hope you "corporal" punishment, not "capital". My kids can be little shits but I can't condone executing them! :P

That elephant info is fascinating. It seems to support the parenting angle to a degree. I try my best to monitor what my kids are exposed to. I know I can't control what they're exposed to at school, but I can pay attention to their friends. The rest is mostly media based. There's so much vapid garbage out there aimed at turning our children into crass consumers at the cost of their souls.

That's why involvement is so crucial. My middle boy was premature by 6 weeks and couldn't breath when he was born. We were told he'd always be behind. My wife and I made the decision to make substantial sacrifices in order to have her be home full time to work with him. With her nuturing my son is now not only physically caught up but he's at the top of his class.

I guess my feeling is that truly dedicated parents can overcome damn near any obstacle. Too many parents are happy to let cell phones/computers/TV/videogames/daycare raise their kids. I understand that wages haven't kept pace with inflation, and that too many people have no choice in the matter but to work multiple jobs, but so many sit on their asses no bothering to make any effort at all. When I can't sacrifice anything else I just don't sleep if that's what it takes to be involved. My scheduel is ridiculous, and my parenting role models were garbage. My parenting is driven solely by a desire to give our kids better I had. It seems like too many parents have no drive to do/be anything for their kids at all.

Not to stray too much off topic, but I find when kids are shitheads, the parents end up being even bigger shitheads.

IMO, of course.

Obrigado--many thanks--for all the parenting opinions and info. I'm definitely a newcomer at this, and I'm just trying to soak it up.

...back on topic..? Has this scenario ever happened to anyone before? Have you ever gotten The Evil Eye from a parent while you were walking around a store with either an armload or a basketfull of toys? I'll never forget my Target: 2 little boys, they looked to be between 6-8 years of age and their mother were pushing a cart through the store and walked by me as I was carrying around 3 TF:A Sunstorms (for repaint purposes) and one TF:A "True Colors" Shockwave. One of the little boys indicated that he wanted what I was carrying, and the other one whispered to his mother "why does he have so many?" and the mother just scowled at me from one end of the store to the other. So, of course, I scowled back at her all the way to the checkout line.

I didn't take all of the Sunstorms. I didn't even come close...there was an endcap full of them. In any event, seriously: F**k you. Don't sit there and stare me down anywhere--let alone someplace where I'm spending my hard-earned money--like I stole something from you. To hell with that. I believe in some of what the Koran teaches.

I'll give you back exactly what you gave me. No more, no less.

Trying to get there, man! Certain things, he knows not to push with (like don't play with my food; don't kick me in the crotch; don't transform a toy I specifically told you not to transform and do your damn homework), but part of it is me knowing my own boundaries as well as dealing with the way my dad raised me. More of it than I am comfortable speaking about has followed me into adulthood, and most of it is not good.

The funny thing with me is I was raised to be respectful and to help others, while at the same time I learned the importance of hard work. So if you wanted something you worked for it. I was also raised to not start a fight but I better be the one left standing. Which has gotten me in trouble at times but also gotten me out of trouble by being able to claim self defense. LOL

It also helped that I was raised with a military mindset also. Which is probably why I'm more comfortable around other military people then I am around people who have never served. I also do not put up with BS, just one more thing to deal with that is not necessary. I just like the fact that I can take my kids to the store and not have to worry about them making a scene when I do not buy them anything. I usually will tell then Next time or do you see me buying Transformers? No?

The problem I keep seeing people having kids, and then letting TV and video games raise them. Put a little effort into parenting people! My kids get 2 hours of TV a day and 1 hour of video games every other day AFTER homework and chores are done, and with the DVR I dictate what they watch. It's a healty mix of Disney, Nickleodeon, Nat Geo, Animal Planet and such. They do get to watch more on the weekends, but that's accompanied by a requirement to play outside 3 out of 4 seasons, and I take themto the park or ride my bike with them instead of just leaving them to their own devices. Parenting isn't a passive job.

When it comes to disciplne I'm strict but not punitive. My middle boy decided to test some boundaries late last year. I told him he could get a Kre-o Optimus or a Kre-o Bumblebee (the $8 ones). Well, he wanted Kre-o Ratchet instead, and thought standing there with his arms crossed being pissy was the way to get it. Long story short, he walked out with nothing, and I haven't had an attitude problem at the store since.

I realize not everyone is lucky enough to be able to move to a nice neighborhood or pick a decent school district, but a parent can and should do everything possible to be the biggest influence in their childrens lives.

I like to take my kids outside and they like it better then the Tv. I used to have to resort to a 1open handed spank on the but through a diaper, but they quickly learned the look on Daddy's face. Daddy can be nice and a push over, but if you do something wrong you get the look and that is usally all it takes with my kids nowaday. They do not act up at the store, because they know I wont buy them what they want if they do

Not to stray too much off topic, but I find when kids are shitheads, the parents end up being even bigger shitheads.

IMO, of course.

I completely agree with this one, you see a 3 year old cussing up a storm and wonder how their parents allow this and then you see the parent and out of every 5 wrods coming out of their mouth maybe 1 of them is not a cuss word

Obrigado--many thanks--for all the parenting opinions and info. I'm definitely a newcomer at this, and I'm just trying to soak it up.

...back on topic..? Has this scenario ever happened to anyone before? Have you ever gotten The Evil Eye from a parent while you were walking around a store with either an armload or a basketfull of toys? I'll never forget my Target: 2 little boys, they looked to be between 6-8 years of age and their mother were pushing a cart through the store and walked by me as I was carrying around 3 TF:A Sunstorms (for repaint purposes) and one TF:A "True Colors" Shockwave. One of the little boys indicated that he wanted what I was carrying, and the other one whispered to his mother "why does he have so many?" and the mother just scowled at me from one end of the store to the other. So, of course, I scowled back at her all the way to the checkout line.

I didn't take all of the Sunstorms. I didn't even come close...there was an endcap full of them. In any event, seriously: F**k you. Don't sit there and stare me down anywhere--let alone someplace where I'm spending my hard-earned money--like I stole something from you. To hell with that. I believe in some of what the Koran teaches.

Yep that has happened to me, I will usually ignore them but if they start following me, I will go get tissue and toilet paper and toss it into their cart and tell them so they wipe their tears and the sh*t that comes out of their mouths. Though most will only stare at you until you leave the aisle. Or if it is the father that is staring at me, I'll say really loud for him to stop checking out my ass, I like girls. Usually that makes them feel so awkward they leave the store especially when a lot of people hear it LOL

TBH if I saw someone carrying 3 of the same toy, I'd give them a VERY dirty look too (and have choice words with them)... because it looks like scalping! :D If I were in that situation I'd say something reassuring like, "Don't worry, these weren't the last ones," or "It's okay, there's still more left." ;)

Ceebs dude. I just get the toy. If there's a defect, I bring it back for an exchange or refund. :P

...that sounds expensive. :O (I find collecting ONE of each toy to be dear enough!)

I can afford to buy two each of a new mold TF toy I like. because,I'm not a completist. I only buy a handful of TF toys per year. For the DOTM toy line I only bought 4 toys which were leader sized sentinel,leader sized irohide,voyager megatron & voyager Skyhammer.

I don't buy any super tiny TF toys. I only buy the bigger TF toys like voyagers,ultra's,leaders & masterpieces. since hasbro makes very few of the bigger TF toys per year/toy line. I don't spend that much money per year on my TF hobby.

Archived