What Has Almost Made You Quit Collecting

madman1366

To be perfectly honest, I don't ever see myself completely ceasing to collect. Hasbro, for their part, have done their level best to completely kill the kid in me and give it all up from a collecting standpoint.

Life, however, has done as much--and maybe even more--to definitely slow my collecting down. WAAAAAAAY down. I'm down to getting the latest PRiD releases that I want and leaving it at that. There are the positive fashions in which life has "intruded" on one of my favorite hobbies:

1) a new family, and the new responibilities that go along with that;

2) I'm really trying to become a much more competent customizer of my post G1 figures, so I've really worked and practiced at my painting techniques;

3) I'm trying to self-publish a comic book, so time is a factor.

And then there's the negative fashions in which life rips the head off my favorite hobby, and s***s down its neck:

1) There is, of course, Hasbro. There is ALWAYS Hasbro.

2) Someone STOLE 75% of my G1 collection from me. The pieces most near and dear to me, I've still got, but the bulk of my collection is gone.

So, that last one is really making what shouldn't be a particularly bitter pill to swallow very bitter indeed.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone STOLE 75% of my G1 collection from me. The pieces most near and dear to me, I've still got, but the bulk of my collection is gone.

Damn, that sucks man.

I have always told myself that if that were to happen to me I would be done. I couldnt imagine trying to get back what I lost.

Goktimus, do you have any idea at all that a lot of people, including myself, were children during the 1980s? We couldn't get any Transformers that we wanted and I never imagined that I'd be collecting them when I grew up.

No kidding. When I was a kid my mom would only get me Go-Bots cuz they were cheaper and she could get more of them. As much as I begged for Transformers, especially combiner gift sets, the best I could get was the Renegade power suit combiner Grungy. Still have him in box too, though one of the small guns fell through some floorboards a long ass time ago. Otherwise it's mint. I have still have all the Go-Bots too which still weren't all that many.

The only real Transformers I had, my friend gave me....Astrotrain, Blitzwing, and Blaster. Still have them too.

Well, there was one thing once upon a time that made me stop collecting Transformers... Puberty. Then I finished growing up, realized that there were no rules that said that grown-ups couldn't have toys too, cursed myself for all of the toys I used to have that I wished I still did, and started fresh.

My current enjoyment of the hobby? Nothing can kill that. And believe me, Hasbro seems to be trying. (But they get props for letting me look forward to MP-10 for a reasonable price!)

Someone STOLE 75% of my G1 collection from me. The pieces most near and dear to me, I've still got, but the bulk of my collection is gone.

Damn, that sucks man.

I have always told myself that if that were to happen to me I would be done. I couldnt imagine trying to get back what I lost.

What really sucks is that it would be the THIRD time around for me. When I turned about 14, I gave away my entire collection to my cousin, who proceeded to immediately piss it all away. It was fairly substantial: almost all of S1; over half of S2, and a good chunk of S3. My GF is trying her hardest to get me to try rebuilding my collection, but I don't have the heart to start over again right now, and given the current state of the economy, I don't think it'd be a good idea anyway.

@John 3:16: I don't think you've asked before, but the main thing that's necessary is perserverance and a thick skin. I may try one last time to submit my project through conventional means (most likely Antarctic Press, as they fit my style and I'm somewhat familiar with them), but barring that, I'm just going to save up a little cash and publish my own black-and-white limited series. I tend to pencil slowly, so I definitely want as much finished as possible by the time it's time for me to pitch my project. As for actually doing it: for years, my best friend did all my thinking for me in this area--he was the writer and handled all the business; I was the penciller who simply pencilled the book. Now, I'm having to learn the other side of it, which means doing all my own legwork, printing up all my own copies, distributing them to local shops and working out deals with them and hitting up all of the conventions and...UGGGHHHH...networking. This is reason even for me to try the submitting route once more...especially since AP only wants creator-owned submissions. All original work.

Hastak stopped making a line of toys that I want to collect... I didn't quit, the company quit ME!

There were a couple good Beast Machines figures. I like my Scavenger....

This thread has been edited for unacceptable content. If you flame, you will be warned. If you flame a flamer, you will be warned. No more of that here please or else this topic is locked.

This thread has been edited for unacceptable content. If you flame, you will be warned. If you flame a flamer, you will be warned. No more of that here please or else this topic is locked.

i didn't get to read any of the good stuff?! not fair.

Not to nitpick or anything, but with the context removed my post (#31) looks really random and silly. I may as well be declaring my love of apples! :P

Archived