Classics Jetfire (Skyfire)

Yotsuyasan

This is getting to be a habit...great review, once again!

While, obviously, the G1 toy was and is superior, I've owned both and can honestly say that I have a hard time accepting G1 Jetfire as a Transformer, let alone as Skyfire. At the very least, the Classics toy is clearly meant to be Transformer, and does a good job of it.

Why can't you accept Jetfire as a Transformer, but you can accept all the other mecha-derived Transformers as Transformers?? (o_O) Is it because Macross is more commonly known in the West because of Robotech compared to the other mecha lines that became Transformers?

Look! It's Roadbuster and Whirl!

Btw, I love the G1 Jetfire toy, but when you put your Macross/Robotech bias aside and look at it objectively, it's not a very good Transformer toy. The clearly visible head on the underside looks terrible (yes, it makes sense from a Macross/Robotech POV, but like I said, look at this objectively and compare it with other Transformers)... and the shoulder joints are notoriously fragile.

You are almost exactly right, but: it's not that I can't accept the G1 toy as a Transformer. I have a hard time doing so, and it is because the toy is clearly a re-purposed Macross figure. Taking into account the fact that the animation model bears almost no resemblance to the toy whatsoever, I would think that I deserve a pat on the back for even attempting to accept the toy as a true representation of what we saw on our TV screens and saw in the G1 comics.

You are almost exactly right, but: it's not that I can't accept the G1 toy as a Transformer. I have a hard time doing so, and it is because the toy is clearly a re-purposed Macross figure. Taking into account the fact that the animation model bears almost no resemblance to the toy whatsoever, I would think that I deserve a pat on the back for even attempting to accept the toy as a true representation of what we saw on our TV screens and saw in the G1 comics.

Remember though, that the toy came first, not the cartoon. Secondly, the only reason why the animation model didn't use the toy design in the first place was because of a conflict with Harmony Gold and Robotech having all US animation rights to that design. As a result, Sunbow "fudged" it.

Remember though, that the toy came first, not the cartoon. Secondly, the only reason why the animation model didn't use the toy design in the first place was because of a conflict with Harmony Gold and Robotech having all US animation rights to that design. As a result, Sunbow "fudged" it.

That's true, and I remember that. That holds true for most of what hit the shelves for G1 anyway. It's just a personal preference for me, though, and in the end my perceptions are definitely colored by what I saw on the TV as versus what toy I played with at the time. Which is, of course, inconsistent with the fact that this same discussion could be had about pretty much any G1 Transformers toy.

Well, in any event, I think most would agree that the Classics version managed to be a much better match (in robot mode) for the animation model for those who were disapointed by the G1 version... while at the same time still managing to pay homage to elements of that very same G1 version.

Archived