Unusual alternate forms

Taaron

A few days ago, I was introduced to this hilarious little car on Tumblr by way of Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bIn_ZgHJaE

A Reliant Robin. Since watching this video, I think it'd make for a hilarious little TF. He could even use the name Sideways. :tflaugh

So, what about ya'll? What unusual alternate forms that Hasbro / Takara has not used before (or frequently enough) would you like to see? (Can be vehicular, beast or item.)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have liked to see that Beastwars 2nd Movie main villian Majin Zarak get a leader sized toy. he transformed from a weird beast into a water based huge air craft carrier. this would have made a awesome Takara TF toy on so many levels.

I forget who but somebody on here (I think Goktimus) has supplied a list in a few other threads of alternate modes not yet used by TFs. Not withstanding 3rd party items or things like minicons.

Various construction equipment, taxi cab, double decker bus, a true submarine, 4 wheeler (quad), swept wing jets (that I'm aware of... except Terradive counts I think), trains (not just Astrotrain) and there are plenty more out there that I can't think of at the moment. Its a bit late.

We have seen some branching out here and there tho. In recent memory we had PCC Icepick who was that arctic crawler type machine and I think Steamhammer was a steamroller(?). At any rate Hasbro is usually content with the car, truck, tank, jet system. I'm not too bothered by it but a little variety here and there couldn't hurt.

Airachnid I think is a good example of something fresh. I'm not a fan of her character or her upcoming toy but I like the idea of an arachnid-y female who transforms into a helicopter and not a full spider. Haven't really seen that before. Thats also why I'm drawn to guys like the BW Mutants with dual beast modes and DOTM Hatchet who was a beast/jet.

Yeah, there's a fair list of alt modes that Transformers have never done which I'd like to see. I'd like to see all sorts of every day things that haven't been done into Transformers, not just exotic sports cars or military vehicles all the time. Because that gives the Transformers more of that "More Than Meets The Eye" feel. That was something that was cool about say the original Optimus Prime and Bumblebee... a flat-nose truck and VW Beetle -- even today you can still see them driving around roads and imagine that they could be Transformers. ;)

I'd love to see bus TFs. We've never had any kind of bus. Double-decker buses are kinda exotic (unless you're in England); here double decker buses just take tourists around... I've never ridden on one. I'd just like to see a plain ordinary transit bus. Likewise normal passenger trains, not exotic steam locomotives and bullet trains. We did get some of those in 1987's Trainbots, but they only came out in Japan... and they're pretty fragile Diaclone-derived toys. I only have Suiken, but it's already been damaged before (got it really cheap though ;)) and I'm far too scared to play with it! It'd be nice to have some new regular passenger train TFs. And the same size as the Trainbots would be cool, because I think they're made to be in-scale with electric train sets. Taxis are definitely something else we need more of. We've only ever had one, and that was a repaint of a pre-existing Mini-Con. We've never had a new-mould taxi TF. Also I'd like to see a regular passenger jet plane, like any of the Boeing-7XX series.

As for cars, I'd like to see more commonly seen vehicles. That was something that was cool about some of the Binaltech/Alternators and Alternity... cars like Mazda RX-8, Honda S2000, Jeep Wrangler, Subaru Impreza WRX, Suzuki Swift, Nissan Skyline, Dodge Ram etc. - these are all cars that I've often seen just driving around or parked somewhere. They're everyday cars, although a little bit exotic. But I'd love to see more non-exotic cars... look at Bumblejumper/Bumper... he was just a Mazda 323! How perfectly ordinary is that?! :D Love it! They could do a Generations Bumper and make him a current regular sedan or hatchback. And I gotta say, that was also the cool thing about the choice of alt modes for ROTF Skids and Mudflap... I know the characters are banally annoying, but I love how they just transform into regular looking hatchbacks, and not some hot sports car that most of us will hardly ever see outside of a showroom! ;) And the perfectly ordinary looking ice cream truck! So cool (no pun intended :P). :) And likewise G1 Downshift... a Toyota Celica - magnificent! :) And I gotta say, that was also something really cool about Movie Bumblebee's original alt mode -- the beat up 1970s Camaro/Monaro. It was almost a shame when he reformatted himself as the Concept Camaro because then he changed from being a robot-in-disguise Monaro to a attention-getting Concept Camaro. Reminds me of that scene from The Dark Knight...

"Will you be wanting the Batpod, sir?"

"In the middle of the day, Alfred? Not very subtle."

"The Lamborghini then. Much more subtle."

More mundane and everyday alt modes FTW! :D

We really want to talk everyday things, I'd like to see them do something akin to Soundwave/Blaster where it's not vehicles or beasts, but objects that we use. Calculators, computers, printers, fax machines. I loved seeing all the kitchen appliances come to life in ROTF cause it really gave an even deeper sense of "More Than Meets the Eye" to Transformers. This could make it so they could be absolutely anywhere or anything.

Yes Takara did their various offshoots like that Blaster laptop that I don't think saw release and their transforming USB flash drives, but I'm talking something closer to the Real Gear figures from the first movie, just not as childish looking in nature. Hell, the toaster bot Decepticon from ROTF is sitting on my nightstand.

As for obscure vehicles, all I can think of reminds me of the photos Simmons had in ROTF of the Seekers that were all sorts of really old cars/planes/etc.

How about a transformer that transforms into a...

...wait for it...

A TRANSFORMER? :run

Yes Takara did their various offshoots like that Blaster laptop that I don't think saw release and their transforming USB flash drives,

He was released. :thumb (I know there was an iffy period for a while, but he happily hit the market.)

...wait for it...

Madness! It can't be done! A suggestion of this order obviously shows you have issues. In this case, I would like to inquire within of how to get a subscription? :tflaugh

We really want to talk everyday things, I'd like to see them do something akin to Soundwave/Blaster where it's not vehicles or beasts, but objects that we use. Calculators, computers, printers, fax machines. I loved seeing all the kitchen appliances come to life in ROTF cause it really gave an even deeper sense of "More Than Meets the Eye" to Transformers. This could make it so they could be absolutely anywhere or anything.

Yes Takara did their various offshoots like that Blaster laptop that I don't think saw release and their transforming USB flash drives, but I'm talking something closer to the Real Gear figures from the first movie, just not as childish looking in nature. Hell, the toaster bot Decepticon from ROTF is sitting on my nightstand.

As for obscure vehicles, all I can think of reminds me of the photos Simmons had in ROTF of the Seekers that were all sorts of really old cars/planes/etc.

Yes, I agree with this! I loved the Real Gear Robots because they were reminiscent of the Micro-Change based Transformers that we had in early G1 (e.g. Soundwave, Blaster, Megatron, Reflector, microcassettes etc.). And I agree that Ejector was great as an appliance-former. It's a shame Hasbro never made more -- especially Dispensor for TF1! He surely deserved a proper transforming action figure.

I would also like to see some Old Timey vehicles too. That was the great thing about ROTF Ransack! Bring on more. :)

...wait for it...

That would certainly be incredibly easy. While there are different types of transformers (e.g. power, instrument, pulse, radio-frequency, audio), they're fairly basic shapes (e.g. cylindrical, square). Not sure if they'd have a great appeal to kids. Unless they make them as say Mini-Cons that you can attach to larger appliance-formers... ya know, so that they can plug into overseas power sockets.

• 2 weeks later...

Best Transformers altmode of all time.... Traffic Light (Cybertron Signal Lancer)

Archived