Warning Transmetal/BM vacumized chrome is not water proof.

Shadowpanther

If it gets wet,it'll crack,shatter & melt/dissolve away on the toy.

I recently cleaned my BM Ultra Sized Jetstorm toy a few days ago. I chose to use a dry dust cloth. certain areas had excessive dust build up,so I chose to use Q-Tips that I dipped into water. Needless to say some areas on the Robot torso now have cracked vacumized Chrome & one tiny area on top of the torso near he robot head has dissolved melted away vacumized chrome.

I can now understand why so many TF fans hate/dis-like/loathe Transmetal/vacumized chrome on their BW/BM toys. for collectors that have some transformers toys on Display shelves. TF toys on shelves are bound to get dusty & need to be cleaned after a while. Having transmetal/BM vacumized chrome that isn't water proff & very brittle was a bad idea.

I suspose the only option when displaying transmetal/BM vacumized Chrome BW/BM toys is to buy enclosed display tiny cases to put the figure inside so it doesn't collect dust. obviously you'll need to puncture a few tiny holes to add air so the toy doesn't suffocate & sweat inside the sealed tiny display case. most hobby shops sell tiny plexi glass display cases that are used for footballs,trophies & those toy model cars.

I guess other options are to buy/create those huge display shelves/cabinets with sliding/opening glass/plexi glass doors. but honesty who's got thousands to spend on these things.

At least I didn't get burned big time,Only my BM Ultra Jetstorm has cracked/disolved vacumized chrome. it's not that bad as a Brand new MISB BM Ultra sized Jetstorm sells for around $40 t0 $45 on ebay. not including shipping fees. Guess,I'll just have to watch a few ebay auctions & wait for the lowest price with decent shipping fees to arrive on ebay.

"I recently cleaned my BM Ultra Sized Jetstorm today a few days ago"

huh? time travel?

i kind of figured bringing BW Depth Charge and TM2 Cybershark into the tub with me was a bad idea... Glad to know i can still bring Claw Jaw and Razorclaw!

Ya think? TFs are not meant to be submersed in water

Ya think? TFs are not meant to be submersed in water

I didn't submerse BM Ultra Jetstorm in water nor run water over him,due to his lights & sounds electronics.

I chose to clean BM Ultra sized Jetstorm a few days ago. with a wash cloth & a few Q-tips that I kept dipping into water. Needless to say even this was too much for the BM Vacumized chrome paint. as it cracked near the bottom of the torso. when I used those wet Q-Tips the BM Vacumized chrome started to literally disslove like it was those kids type water paint.

Like I said in my Original Thread. it's no big loss,the toy is super easy to buy again in MISB condition on Ebay for under $45.

I created this thread was to warn others how brittle the TM & BM vacumized chrome paint really is.

Oddly enough this thread warning seems to make sense. because While I was looking for a replacement BM Ultra Jetstorm toy on ebay. I cam across a dozen plus BM Ultra Jetstorm toys that had bad vacumized chrome flaking & dissoloving issues. so these ebay sellers must have had water come in contact with this toy. My original plan was to buy a replacement no box BM Ultra Jetstorm From ebay. but they were all had extremly bad vacumized chrome flaking/dissolving issues. So now i'll just try to get a MISB boxed one instead.

I would NEVER wash any trim pieces on a figure with water or alcohol. If it gets that grimy, a soft cloth and some elbow grease should get it done. But that's me

It depends on how well applied the chrome is too. Ultra Jetstorm's chrome is just crap. My Ultra Jetstorm's chrome has always had flaking problems, even a few months after I purchased that toy when it came out. :( I've used wet cotton tips on other chrome toys like my 100% chrome eHobby silver Bluestreak, and that has no problems whatsoever. So I think it depends on the toy and the quality of the chrome application.

However you do need to be gentle when cleaning vacuumised metal parts. I always start cleaning my toys with one of those soft anti-static brushes first, then I use a wet cue-tip to get into those grimy corners that the brush can't dig into, and even then I'm gentle. Another way that some people use are those aerosol air cans that are used for cleaning keyboards, but that's a more expensive option. I know of toy customisers who intentionally strip chrome off toys using warm water with dishwashing detergent -- so yeah, avoid any form of soapy water on chrome.

Yeah, mine I don't even want to TOUCH the chromed areas (kind of hard when transforming because much of the torso is chromed) due to the flaky chrome. Generally, all it takes is a single chip or crack in the chrome to start the descent into flakiness. Thankfully, few of my other Transmetal toys suffer from this.

So yeah, if it's so dirty a gentle wipe can't clean it off, it's better off staying that way than to have the chrome start coming off.

Archived