I used kitbash methods to tighten up ROTF Jetfire's joints.

Shadowpanther

I used kitbash methods to tighten up ROTF Jetfire's leader sized toy joints. As most know or may not know. ROTF Jetfire is loose in key articulated joints,mainly the lower legs & shoulder/elbow joints.

To fix this loose moving joints problem this toy has. I did the following: I used black sewing thread & medical white sticky tape.

I basically used a small tiny phillips screw driver. I took out all the screws in the toy where I wanted to tighten up the joints. I took all the screws out of the legs & arms. I then used a scissor to cut thin strips out of the medical white sticky tape. I applied these thin strips of medical white to to the inner inside joints of the areas In the legs & arms I wanted to tighten up & gain stronger stiffer joints. For the ankle joints I used Black sewing thread.

After everything was completed,I then put everything back together & tighten all the screws. It was a extremmly successful job. the end result,I now have a ROTF Leader sized jetfire toy with extremly tight articulated moving joints in key areas of the toy. no more issues of the lower legs collassing nor the legs causing the robot mode to fall backwards due to thev top being top heavy. no more issues of loose arms that are floppy & can't hold arm poses on display.

I gotta say this toys insides had some complex & frustrating gears,springs & tabs slots that needed to be lined up just right to ensure everything worked inside the toy. it was a bit frustrating & time consuming tryinf to figure out all the pressured points & where those gears,springs & tabs went. over-all everything went back properly & accurately.

For future reference, since this actually isn't a kitbash, but a kitbashing method, it might be better to post in the "Workbench" section. :thumb

But what an interesting method, a little bit more work than super glue or nail polish. First I've heard of it.

For future reference, since this actually isn't a kitbash, but a kitbashing method, it might be better to post in the "Workbench" section. :thumb

But what an interesting method, a little bit more work than super glue or nail polish. First I've heard of it.

I've had a bunch of bad experiences & i've ruined several TF toys using Crazy glue. so I'm staying away from crazy glue.

I might be tempted in the future to give the clear nail polish a try out.

I've had a bunch of bad experiences & i've ruined several TF toys using Crazy glue. so I'm staying away from crazy glue.

I might be tempted in the future to give the clear nail polish a try out.

I recommend using Future Floor Polish.

pics

I used to use nail polish but I like this stuff much better. It won't harden as much as polish or glue and won't cause plastic warping like nail polish does sometimes...

Thanks for alerting me that clear nail polish might warp the plastic. I probably won't try clear nail polish.

Might you be thinking of nail polish remover? That'll ruin the plastic.

I swear by the nail polish method, along with using varying types of nail polishes in place of paints, and haven't seen any plastic warping. (Only time I had an issue, was when I accidently re-assembled a limb while the polish was wet, which seized up the joint when it dried.)

Archived