Cleaning TF toys with electronics in them is a royal pain

Shadowpanther

Cleaning TF toys with electronics in them is a royal pain.

referring to TF toys out on display shelves.

I lack the patience & supplies most have.

I prefer to wash off the dust that accumlates on my TF toys by running them under a sink & using water.

Yes I've heard of the pressured air cans. that blow dust of things. but honestly how good can these things clean stuff when the TF toys have been out on display shelves for years upon years. also those pressured cans of air are exspensive to buy.

What I've been doing recently with TF toys with electronics in them. I've been un-screwing & taking apart the toys with a tiny phillips screw driver. basically i'm seperating the non-electronic parts from the electronic parts. the stuff with non-electronivs parts get washed off in a sink/bath tub with tons of water pressure. the parts with electronics in them get cleaned with Q-tips & a wash cloth.

WARNING......... You've got to have some level of expert taking apart & putting back together TF toys when doing this. because some TF toys have extremly complicated inner stuff like pressured springs,gears,tabs that need to be lined up pproperly or the stuff inside won't work properly. also you've got to be careful when taking apart some TF toys as the springs & parts will fly out & you'll have to search for these parts to find them.

some TF toys like ones with vacumized chrome. I wouldn't suggest cleaning them with water nor running them under a sink. because the vacumized crome paint will chip,crack & come off. If you can put these vacumized chrome paint TF toys behind a glass cabinet or use that pressured air can on them every week,this is your best bet to clean them.

I HONESTLY hate TF toys with electronics built inside the robot toy. I'd prefer the electronics be a external thing that inside the hand held weapon. example the TFP Voyager sized toys with the light up electronics inside the external hand weapon.

Wow.... you're making it WAY harder than it needs to be.

1) Washing them is a bad idea, depending on what you're using. You can rust out the screws and create mildew problems if any water is retained. If you are going to wash them, use a microfiber cloth AND canned air to thoroughly dry.

2) Canned air isn't that expensive. You can get 3 packs at Walmart for under $10. The only trick is to use short bursts. If you blow it continuously, the nitrogen propellent will turn to liquid and will splatter on the surface, instantly freezing that area

3) Ever think of using a vacuum with a small upholstery brush? You could also get a soft nylon brush to dislodge any deposits.

:agree These tricks

Another option to consider for light dusting (if you don't want to used canned air), is a squeeze duster for cleaning camera lenses. It's basically just a hand pump that blows air, and dislodges dust. I love using it for camera, keyboard and whatever I can clear off.

That said, I think something that works on a more permanent basis, like a vacuum and a swiffer brush might be a better idea in a long run, since you actually want to get rid of the dust, instead of just displacing it.

Hey if you can't see it, it's not there. Displaced schlisplaced. :P

Most of my stuff is in boxes anyway and the stuff on display is actually stuff still unopened in the boxes/cards and packed in my curio to maximize space. Little tight in here. Heh.

Thanks for all the tips & tricks.

I honestly think the canned compressed air,vacuum & feather type things only work if you constantly keep dusting every week.

These things won't work if you haven't been on top of dusting & have TF toys on display full of dust for years upon year.

Because when TF toys out on display haven't been dusted for years. the toys themselves are full of a powder glime dirt/dust. that needs to be washed off with some type of water based liquid. using pressured air,vacuum's or feather things will only take off a few layers of dust & not the stained powder layer of dust/dirt/glime.

I suspose the easy answer would be to say. then get the glass cabinets of build those display shelves with a glass door. these can easy total into the hundreds or thousands depending on size & quality parts used.

In the end,I guess one needs to be contantly on top of the TF toy dusting. but honestly who's got the time nor energy to do so.

In the end,I feel like cleaning everything,then taking everything off display & putting them in plastic totes.

Edited by Shadowpanther

I'm not exactly sure what The big fuss is about. I mean, what's wrong with a little dust? It's not going to make the figure rust or anything. If anything, just blow it off with a small fan or something. other then that, just let the toy be.

Chances are if you haven't cleaned your collection in 'years' the damage is done. Any contaminant that was on the dust has settled into the plastics. I also maintain a vintage/classic model car collection and they get a pretty good layer of dust on them. However, they have a 'clear coat' so I'm not as worried about discolorations. I do 'bathe' them with a car wash concentrate. Don't laugh, it works amazingly well on them. :P

i personally use unscented lotion free baby wipes...they work wonders and get off just about anything...i clean my stuff once a month or so...

most lotions has some type of soap,grease or alchol based thing in it. that could harm the plastic if not dilluted with water afterwards.

I just don't feel comfortable applying baby wipes with lotion on my TF toys to clean them. because this lotion seems like it's more harmful than the dust. because most lotions are grease based,soap based or alchol based. most lotions need to be dilluted with water to get rid of the soap,grease or alchol. it might be okay to leave lotion on people or animals because most people take showers/baths daily. but leaving lotion on plastic toys I would never reccomend as the lotion could build up more grease & make the toys sticky,stain the plastic toys or in the case of alchol based lotion eat away at the plastic on the toys.

Chances are if you haven't cleaned your collection in 'years' the damage is done. Any contaminant that was on the dust has settled into the plastics. I also maintain a vintage/classic model car collection and they get a pretty good layer of dust on them. However, they have a 'clear coat' so I'm not as worried about discolorations. I do 'bathe' them with a car wash concentrate. Don't laugh, it works amazingly well on them. :P

luckily it was only a few years worth of dust.

I already cleaned 65% of my TF toys out on display shelves using my bath tub & a lot of water pressure. thus far the dust didn't settle into the plastic. thus far the water cleaning the toys made them look like brand new. the other 35% that I still need to clean are much younger TF toys compared to the others/65% I cleaned already that were a bit older.

I've bought several G-1 toys from others at conventions. where the plastic settled into the toy & was a permanent part of the plastic composition. I tried to wash off the dust but the damage was done. sure the dust came off but the first layer settled into the plastic & the plastic changed color. needless to say I got rid of these toys by selling them to others who wanted them more than I did.

Edited by Shadowpanther