BotCon 2012 a bust?

Blitz-Wing

Usually, BotCon is a major event. However, this year it seemed to be tepid at best. The major announcements concerning Generations and Prime figures that was anticipated seemed to fall flat. There really didn't seem to be any major news generated this year. I'd be interested to hear from some folks that went to the show to see if there's a different take from the one I have.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't go but from what was posted on here and various posts on the internet it did seem like it was pretty lame this year. All we really got in terms of news was a few Prime and a couple of Generations revealings and that is it. Normally Hasbro just blows us away with what is coming up. Hell, we really don't even still know what is going to be in Generations after the 1st couple of waves. I hope Hasbro isn't already writing off the line before it has hit shelves. In the end though Hasbro just does whatever the f**k they want to do like always. Also, the FoC Bruticus is still a MAJOR fail and the SDCC exclusive is not all G1 accurate as I believe Vortex was Grey and Purple.

If you ask me, Hasbro and FunPub miss the boat. Botcon can be and should be a bigger and better event than what it is.

Such as, if they are going to charge non-attendees the full attendee price just to get the figures, then why not do something to bring the convention out to the fans who couldn't be there themselves but ponied up the cash anyway. Live feeds to all the panels and a guided tour of event festivities would be a great place to start. It might even boost peoples interest level in purchasing the convention sets.

Also, allow for some active participation. Take questions from at home viewers and live chat so that others interacting online at the time can converse with each other.

There is so much that could be done to make this a bigger and better event and really make it what it should be...the Transformers fandoms version of a holiday celebration.

I remember for a few years having to pick up my jaw off the floor after seeing what all was coming our way. A few years later, here we sit viewing a cool few additions but mostly just going over everything we already knew about. Considering some of those figures over the past years that made us all happy and excited either barely got out or never did at all then I don't know if really is such a bad thing that Hasbro isn't showing too much. Without the ability to guarantee that it will all make it out to the market then it's delivering more disappointment which at this point they'd be fools to not try and avoid doing again.

I wanted more. Not just from a figure point of view, but what's going on with the future of Prime? Why no Prime panel? The show itself was hardly spoken of at all. What was that all about? Isn't this the event that would normally see them promote the hell out this show?

I get the creepy feeling that we're all about to get the rug pulled out from under us again. Hasbro knows it's coming too, but they ain't sayin. Not saying that that Prime itself has anything to do with that, but if the HUB is becoming unsustainable then it's out of anyone's hands unless they manage to broker another deal to save the show on another network. I guess it would be possible, but who knows these days.

All in all, I'll just continue to do what I do...hope for the best, never expect a thing.

If it werent for David Kaye and Garry Chalk it would've been a bust. They were both awesome. Mr. Chalk was especially, really, really nice.

The announcements felt like they were getting better and better until they just suddenly stopped. I kept waiting for the big thing that was going to knock my socks off. When they announced voyager Generations figures I had assumed FOC Grimlock. Then I saw Soundwave. I knew Grimlock had to be coming. Then I saw Soundblaster. Then the panel was practically over.

Sigh. Even if they do make a Grimlock I have this feeling that you'll never be able to find one at retail.

The Animated panel with Derrick Wyatt was... entertaining? It was really cool to hear about all the ideas he had for season 4 and beyond, like an episode that flashes into the future featuing Bumblebee Prime and his fight against a Galvatron controlled Cybertron. But it was equally, if not more so sad. Really, really sad. Every question was a reminded that the show is gone. When a little kid asked why cant he find more Animated on the tv and what channel is it on now, I thought he was gonna cry.

I met David Kaye back in the 2009 show. I stopped for lunch and was sitting outside. He strolled up to me, we small talked for a few moments, then went on his way. Very cool guy indeed.

First day it seemed like he had a head ache. Second day he was better. Both days though he was nice, just a little distant on the first.

Wow and someone at Bee in the City was aweful. I wont name names but it wasnt Amy Collins, Chalk, Kaye or Dan.

Plus they had technical difficulties through out.

And the worst thing aside from lack of announcements was the accoustics in the room. They were terrible. If you didnt sit within a 30 foot radius of the speaker, everything sounded like garbled trash. Really difficult to hear unless the person talking was very clear and loud with their words.

To be fair, it's difficult to dial in ambiance and acoustics on the fly when you're a pro at it, much less an amateur.

I'm kind of not surprised Botcon was tepid, in terms of reveals.

It seems like Hasbro splits it up between Toy Fair, Botcon, and then the really big reveals for SDCC. Got to admit, I'm surprised Hasbro let Robot Kingdom display the 3rd party reveals.

Did anyone do anything around Dallas while at Botcon, or was it Con and back home?

I'm kind of not surprised Botcon was tepid, in terms of reveals.

It seems like Hasbro splits it up between Toy Fair, Botcon, and then the really big reveals for SDCC. Got to admit, I'm surprised Hasbro let Robot Kingdom display the 3rd party reveals.

Did anyone do anything around Dallas while at Botcon, or was it Con and back home?

There were after hours "parts parties" where you can go buy, sell, and trade parts and drink in the hotel rooms.

When I went to BC11 and BC09, I was already versed with LA so I pretty much went just for the show. When I went to BC07 in Providence, I booked a couple of extra days. Went to Boston and Cape Cod one day and took a drive around Connecticut and Rhode Island the other. If it's an area I've never been to, whether for work or for volunteering, I always stay a couple of extra days to poke around.

Archived