Prime RID Voyagers Optimus & Megatron

Octankor

Hey all, it's been awhile.

I've been unemployed for a good while now & Transformer collecting has taken the back seat to retro game consoles, my current addiction. However, I'm still quite interested in the Transformers Prime toys and have been ever since the FE figures were announced. One of the figures I was most looking forward too was the Voyager Optimus Prime figure.

I'm sure you can all relate to my disappointment that we never really got that figure, and got thoroughly screwed over on all the other FE's. Then I heard about the RID line coming soon, and thought to myself "okay, maybe Hasbro will redeem themselves for their screw up."

The RID line is now out in full force, and their epic failure is in no way redeemed. Let me start with the Deluxe toys...

I'll go ahead and say that I really like Ratchet and Soundwave, from what I've seen. They seem to be pretty solid toys, as does Wheeljack, but as for all the others...

Cliffjumper was given a great vehicle mode, and a potentially great robot mode that seems to have been completely ruined by the arms. Not only was the show-accurate hand-weapon transformation removed, but the on-the-whole arm configuration was completely botched, and we're given a lame-ass hammer/blaster for an accessory.

Arcee's toy seems okay, except for the stupid weapon. Hasbro, who the hell told you that cumbersome, gimmicky weapons were better than show accuracy??

Bumblebee is...well, he's bumblebee. At least his weapons are mostly accurate.

And now, for my biggest gripe...the "Powerizers."

The Deluxe toys were a mixed bag. Some were good, some were meh, and one seems downright awful. The Voyagers, unfortunately, don't seem too much better. Bulkhead seems like he might be okay, but he's not my main concern. If you haven't figured out by now, I don't much care for RID Optimus & Megatron. Why, you ask? Well, the main reason is the clear fooking plastic. Who thought this would be a good idea!? Having seen the figures in person, I can safely say that it completely ruins the figures' aesthetic...or at least, in Optimus Prime's sake. I find the translucent purple to be rather suiting for Megs. The next complaint I have, which seems pretty standard for the RID figures, is with the weapons. Both of Prime's weapons are crap. Megatron's arm cannon is pretty bad, too, with the stupid flip-out blade gimmick.

Why, Hasbro? Why??

And THAT is the reason I've distanced myself from Transformer collecting. I'm not claiming any of this as gospel; it's just my opinion, and I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with that. This is just a rant, and an invitation to post your rants as well. I haven't been lurking very much recently, so forgive me if there's already a thread like this. So how are you all dealing with Hasbro's blatant shortcomings?

:agree

Honestly they should have stuck with the FE Voyager Optimus Prime, and did the same with Megatron. The clear plastic and weapons they do not stay in weapon mode also the bad paint job on RiD Optimus just make him awful.

FE Cliffjumper looks way better then RiD Cliffjumper. The only RiD figure that looks better then their FE Counterpart is Vehicon.

Just remove the back of OPs blaster and lock it in place. At least you can pretend it's a blaster rifle. The sword is cool, but I would have rather had two swords that lock into place over his hands, or a gun that locks into place over his hands. They pulled this off pretty well with Ratchets hand blades and could have done so with OP too but instead we recieved that gimmicky gun.

Haven't picked up Megs yet so I don't have any comments on that one but it is another example of how out of touch Hasbro is. We don't even get the cool minicons that Japan is getting. I'm hoping that they have some cool stuff in Korea I can pick up next month though.

I was actually working on a mod to my Megatrons weapon removing the sword and taking the piece of his other hand weapon and using the part where it plugs into his arm as a base and filled in the gaps. It's mostly done, I just have to paint it. Now his sword and cannon are separate and I have no need for the gimmick. Other than that, I'm actually very pleased with PRID Megatron. I may pick up Starscream just for size reasone, but on the flip side the FE Starscream actually does work out well for size purposes. For the most part I want the figures that didn't get an FE release or had one planned but never got released.

Nice toon, very fitting. Yeah, I'm kind of in the middle of deciding at the moment even though I've picked up whats out there so far. As for OP, I removed the spring and the batteries from his gun and it makes it a lot more tolerable. Once I find some matching paint for his red, that clear is going away! Same for the gun. As for Megs, his turn is coming eventually. My two biggest gripes so far: Why the hell didn't they just stick with the FE's?(That being said, CJ was better in that version and I don't fill like dumping a wad of cash for the import version or on ebay for a US FE version). Secondly, Wheeljack. If they wanted Drift in the Prime series they should have just ported him over. I want my mad scientist back, thanks. One of the very few times I have a smidgen of geewun angst.

I'm really not giving up any hope for FE figures to still show up at some point. Whether stores get them as exclusives, discount chains get them or whatever, I think they'll show up somehow, somewhere, sometime!

Even if a lot of folks don't find them around them, it will at least make the cost of getting them much more reasonable over time.

I'm not going to get into the oddities of the weapons, but as for figures, Cliffjumper and Bumblebee are the only 2 absolutely must have over the RID versions, the rest are all equal to or better than the FE counterparts. I'm satisfied enough with the RID CJ as a stand in for now.

Even Optimus. Each figure has parts to it that is better than the other. I want the FE version still, but I'm just as happy with the RID version. Megatron is a really nice figure except for his shoulder pads. I rather like his alt mode too. Has a bird of prey look to it.

The new Vehicon looks absolutely freakishly spectacular! I can't wait to get several of those. Gonna be tough being packed one to a case though.

Bulkhead doesn't knock people out as well as the FE version, but I think the RID one will have it's charms and like CJ will do well enough as a stand in until the FE version does become more available.

I will agree with all that these mech tech inspired weapons are extremely crappy! With this we need some help.

Archived