Was the 1986 TF animated movie,awesome,because it took place in the MIDDLE of the G-1 Media continuity?

Shadowpanther

Maximum Overdrive was just awful. My condolences.

Condolences for what? His relationship with his father after that stunt?

:rofl

To this day, this very day, I still have not let him forget it.

Fathers are amazing in how much they seem to screw up, even when they try to do good. After this, my dad tried to make up for that by taking me to a movie I (*SHUDDER*) wanted to go see. I say, "shudder" because that movie was Jaws: The Revenge when it opened. See, I'm a huge fan of the original movie. I think Jaws II is a somewhat credible sequel and I have always loved Dennis Quaid, Bess Armstrong, Lou Gossett Jr. and Leah Thompson, so Jaws 3D was more enjoyable (even though it was a piece of shat) than it had any right to be. So naturally, as I was far too young to make decisions on my own, I trusted my dad to do what was right by me, even as I opted to put myself through the punishment of Jaws: The Revenge.

The moral of the story is, there was a once a show called Father Knows Best. That's not my dad. He didn't know. He had no clue, and didn't step up to the plate to rescue me from myself. This film, he took me to see. And trust me: I would have paid any price to have sat through Maximum Overdrive (or anything else, for that matter) to avoid that experience.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that's about the baitiest bait & switch I've ever heard of (or would that be the switchiest?) but at least your dad tried. I can't imagine not doing stuff with my boys, but I guess alot of dads don't.

Yeah, that's about the baitiest bait & switch I've ever heard of (or would that be the switchiest?) but at least your dad tried. I can't imagine not doing stuff with my boys, but I guess alot of dads don't.

TF:TM was written/animated during the same time second season of G1 was being animated if I remember correctly. This is one of the reasons so many characters from Season 2 never showed up in the movie.

TO answer the question though, No. Transformers The Movie was awesome because it was everything a kid who was into transformers back in 1986 wanted out of a big screen transformers animated film. Characters died, there was a real threat, introduction of new characters, cheesy (kick ass) music, swearing, Wierd Al, etc.....

TF:TM was written/animated during the same time second season of G1 was being animated if I remember correctly. This is one of the reasons so many characters from Season 2 never showed up in the movie.

TO answer the question though, No. Transformers The Movie was awesome because it was everything a kid who was into transformers back in 1986 wanted out of a big screen transformers animated film. Characters died, there was a real threat, introduction of new characters, cheesy (kick ass) music, swearing, Wierd Al, etc.....

I still do The Bruce Springsteen to most of the soundtrack, myself. I can't get enough of Instruments of Destruction. Actually, that whole scene where the Decepticons board the shuttle and chop Brawn, Prowl, Ironhide and Ratchet was and is one of the most hardcore moments in TF history.

And the designs for Scourge and his Sweeps, Cyclonus, GALVATRON, Blurr, Springer, Hot Rod, Kup, Arcee...even Wheelie. Just awesome and enduring material.

I loved the beginning & end parts of the TF 1986 movie. I wasn't a fan of the middle parts where the transformers spend time on the junkion & quintessa planets.

I think my favorite thing about the 1986 animated TF movie was the music. all the music & back ground sound effects took this movie to the next level.

Thankfully this animated movie wasn't created in the 1990's or we would of had rap music similar to what appeared in the Generation 2 commericials.

I love the fact unicron was the ultimate recyling machine. he didn't waste anything. it's too bad the enviormental commericials never used unicron & promoted his recycling manner & said something like: "even unicron the baddest dude in the universe finds time to recycle,please take a note from unicron,keep our planet clean & recycle."

Yeah, it's a real shame :(

The old man's grown up quite a bit over the last 10 some-odd years. Maybe its jsut what people do when they get older, or maybe he did some soul-searching and discovered things he didn't like about himslef. Either way, I take my hat off to him for doing so, because he was an unlikeable guy before that. I learned from him and I loved him, but I didn't like him.

Hope that makes sense.

@Shadowpanther: Man, I actually found the Quintessons extremely interesting. In some ways, more so than the Decepticons themselves. And while I didn't care for the music while they were on Junkion, I LOVED the designs for Wreck-Gar and his cohorts...so much so, that I will hate on his Generations toy until the day that I die (it does not bear a close enough resemblance to the source material).

The old man's grown up quite a bit over the last 10 some-odd years. Maybe its jsut what people do when they get older, or maybe he did some soul-searching and discovered things he didn't like about himslef. Either way, I take my hat off to him for doing so, because he was an unlikeable guy before that. I learned from him and I loved him, but I didn't like him.

Hope that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense, to me at least. I won't bore anyone with the details, but I can completely relate. It's just too bad by the time my father decided to be a better man he'd already burnt pretty much every bridge in his life.

When Jess and I were getting ready to have our first child, I was scared to death because I didn't want to turn out like my dad. I had more than one person tell me stuff like "Hey, at least you're sticking around." My response was something along the lines of "I didn't know it was a choice." and it's not as far as I'm concerned. Any man worth anything does his best to live up to his responsibilities.

Sorry guys. Didn't mean to get heavy there. It's just something I feel strongly about.

So yeah, amazing movie. I actually have it taping off HUB today. I'm watching it with the boys this weekend.

Hope that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense, to me at least. I won't bore anyone with the details, but I can completely relate. It's just too bad by the time my father decided to be a better man he'd already burnt pretty much every bridge in his life.

When Jess and I were getting ready to have our first child, I was scared to death because I didn't want to turn out like my dad. I had more than one person tell me stuff like "Hey, at least you're sticking around." My response was something along the lines of "I didn't know it was a choice." and it's not as far as I'm concerned. Any man worth anything does his best to live up to his responsibilities.

Sorry guys. Didn't mean to get heavy there. It's just something I feel strongly about.

So yeah, amazing movie. I actually have it taping off HUB today. I'm watching it with the boys this weekend.

I don't drink, but:

:beer

I agree 100%.

Archived