Dealers Will Not Be Able to Sell Third Party Figures at BotCon 2012

Shadowpanther

Only thing is, third party stuff is what? Doube, triple the price?

That's because of the economics of production. Hasbro produces tens of thousands (if not millions) of figures on the same mold, so it's easier to get a payback on the R/D and assembly setup. 3rd parties maybe only sell a few thousand at best. Therefore, their ROI (return on investment) is much higher. You also have to factor in that most of Hasbro's production line is automated. 3rd parties are mostly blood, sweat and tears. Again, harder to recap ROI when using human labor versus automated labor. Ergo, if Hasbro had to hand assemble every piece of a figure, the price would be more than it is now.

As for the price increases, it's not so much the plastic as it is the resin to make the plastic. Being that it's oil based, oil prices will directly affect resin prices. I'm sure Hasbro buys their resin in futures, but eventually their futures will run out and they'll have to renegotiate... at higher pricing. To put it in perspective, in the last 10yrs oil prices on the market have increased 2-1/2 fold. Something to chew on there.

I know you know that Rob, but some don't ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Hasbro doesn't like 3rd party toys.... not exactly news. The only way I can see Hasbro being able to get rid of 3rd parties would be to consider them direct competition by putting out a toyline solely for collectors with high quality articulated updates of all our desired characters, obviously these would have to be at a higher price point, but still cheaper than the average 3rd party fig. Too bad Hasbro never will since this would validate the 3rd parties as legitimate businesses in Hasbro's eyes

Thing is, he promoted it as a con at the con. A room party they wouldnt care about. Its all about how you go about it.

In other words, he was a major dickhead to everyone about it. Then a dick about it online. They got tired of his bs.

Personally,dennis barger was within his rights to rent out a room/floor at that botcon convention. after all the botcon crew/owners that year didn't own the hotel/convention center/whatever. Obviously it goes without saying if you rent a floor/room your gonna want to refer to the room/floor/convention your hosting as some type of name title,anyone would want to get creative & call it something.

Only thing is, third party stuff is what? Doube, triple the price?

Personally you get what you pay for. most of these 3rd party TF toys are catered to TF fans needs & what they desire & have been wanting for decades/years.

I have no problem paying the high amounts of money on superior decent TF products. most of these 3rd party TF toys I view as superior Decent TF products & their worth every penny they cost.

What I don't like doing is buying quanity & not quality. I simply refuse to buy the tiny TF toys like legends,basics & duluxes because most of them are inferior to the larger TF toys like leader toys,voyager,ultra's,Masterpieces. I'm not a fan nor do I like buying hundreds of legends,basics,deluxes because their cheaply prices & I can fill up my shelves/room with more stuff. I prefer to spend $150 on a superior made Takara masterpiece TF toy or big 3rd party TF toy, instead of spending $150 on 35 basic sized TF new mold toys.

The only way I can see Hasbro being able to get rid of 3rd parties would be to consider them direct competition by putting out a toyline solely for collectors with high quality articulated updates of all our desired characters, obviously these would have to be at a higher price point, but still cheaper than the average 3rd party fig.

Hell will freeze over or satan will become a good guy before Hasbro does this.

So Hasbro doesn't like 3rd party toys.... not exactly news. The only way I can see Hasbro being able to get rid of 3rd parties would be to consider them direct competition by putting out a toyline solely for collectors with high quality articulated updates of all our desired characters, obviously these would have to be at a higher price point, but still cheaper than the average 3rd party fig. Too bad Hasbro never will since this would validate the 3rd parties as legitimate businesses in Hasbro's eyes

Hasbro releasing Takara MP's in the states doesn't do it for ya? No average kid can afford those.

Hasbro releasing Takara MP's in the states doesn't do it for ya? No average kid can afford those.

If the Takara MP's do it for everyone, then why is there still a HUGE TF third party market? Fact is the MP's are the epitome of what most of us desire in our TF's, however they are simply release way too few in a year, with so far 6 1/2 different molds for 12 figures? Nope, can't say 5 of the same Prime figure in one line really qualifies as being a "3rd party-killer" line

As far as prices I don't care, because I wasn't going to buy any 3rd Party at Botcon, its the policy that outrages me. here are fans that are trying to help other fans and honestly not making much off of it. Look at what Fansproject did for Japan. Did Hasbro do that? No. Sooner or later Hasbro after creating all these rules will have no other option but to get rod of them anyway. It is all Cyclic in Nature

Archived