smoker smelling toys...

puma

If the seller didn't tell you that the toys stank of tobacco, then they owe you recompense because those toys have been damaged by the smell. Sure, the damage is reversible, but that's not the point. Imagine if I sold a toy with a photo of it looking clean, but in reality it was covered in a thick layer of dust and dirt. The buyer could clean all that muck off, but the fact is that the toy was not sold in the condition that it was presented as in the sale, which is misleading.

*sigh* Another reason why I prefer buying toys minty new from retail stores.

Trust me, i would if i could. Didn't get into buying Beast Wars until he was off of the shelf. I had sold all my BW toys in the mid 00's anyways to make space for new stuff. Now i'm buying the whole collection. I need like 5 more to be done. I think. It's close.

If the seller didn't tell you that the toys stank of tobacco, then they owe you recompense because those toys have been damaged by the smell. Sure, the damage is reversible, but that's not the point. Imagine if I sold a toy with a photo of it looking clean, but in reality it was covered in a thick layer of dust and dirt. The buyer could clean all that muck off, but the fact is that the toy was not sold in the condition that it was presented as in the sale, which is misleading.

Sometimes I wonder if some ebay sellers. get upset because their auctions sold for lower then they wanted. then they seek out revenge against the ebay buyer by grabbing a Cigar or cigarette & covering the toy up with smoke on purpose.

Personally their should be a law & fine or Strike on a ebay sellers account added for selling ebay toys covered in cigar/cigarette smell. because nicotene/tobacco has been proven to cause cancer & lung disease. so these ebay sellers are basically selling a envoirmentally un-safe toy to the buyer.

about two months ago,I bid & won a Rotf Leader jetfire junker toy for $15.50. the seller clearly made a few dollars off shipping fees as it cost me another $10 in shipping fees. this toy smelled of a big Cigar. it seemed like the seller purposely grabbed a cigar & smoked it all over the toy. since I was only using the toy as repair parts,I only needed a few parts. the remaining toy got washed in the sink,then I sprayed the figure with lysol,then it in a box & sealed it up.

naturally I was too scarred to give the ebay seller a negative feedback or report him to ebay. because sometimes these guys seek out further revenge by stalking you on the internet or stalking you out on ebay. I figured it wasn't worth the trouble of putting my life in danger over a $15 dollar toy +$10 in shipping fees.

I suspose I should at the very least call ebay tommorow & alert them. that their a is a seller out their selling & shipping out items with a heavily tobacco smell on them. that could pose envoirmentall unsafe hazards. which could cause buyers to get cancerr or their lungs ruined by breating in these heavily tobaco smoked on ebay items.

um, yea i don't think people do it on purpose. The scorponok i bought was at the sellers BIN price of $25 since they've been hitting $40 around then with bids. I'm sure the seller had no mention of the smoke home. I'm not sure if smokers release they and their things smell like smoke....

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally their should be a law & fine

There is... it'd fall under either false advertising or misrepresenting your product or misleading the consumer (or a combination of them all).

or Strike on a ebay sellers account added for selling ebay toys covered in cigar/cigarette smell.

Isn't that why eBay has a rating system for users?? If people aren't going to honestly rate others, then well... that's those people's fault.

because nicotene/tobacco has been proven to cause cancer & lung disease.

I have no idea what nicotene is, but cigarette/tobacco smoke does contain a chemical called nicotine which is carcinogenic.

so these ebay sellers are basically selling a envoirmentally un-safe toy to the buyer.

I'm sure it's fine for the envoirment... just not so much for personal health.

naturally I was too scarred to give the ebay seller a negative feedback or report him to ebay.

Were you physically or emotionally scarred?? :O I understand that nicotine smell is stinky... but I've personally never been physically or emotionally wounded by it.

because sometimes these guys seek out further revenge by stalking you on the internet or stalking you out on ebay. I figured it wasn't worth the trouble of putting my life in danger over a $15 dollar toy +$10 in shipping fees.

Chicks dig scars. ;)

I suspose I should at the very least call ebay tommorow & alert them. that their a is a seller out their selling & shipping out items with a heavily tobacco smell on them. that could pose envoirmentall unsafe hazards. which could cause buyers to get cancerr or their lungs ruined by breating in these heavily tobaco smoked on ebay items.

Cancerr... sounds like a disease for pirrates, arr. ;) I would report them to eBay if I were you. Still don't see the envoirmentall damage though. Whatever the hell an envoirment is. Sounds funky though when I say it in French ("On-vwah-mont"). ;)

Maybe you should start smoking your self, then you won't notice the smell?

Perhaps they got the items from someone who did smoke, and have terrible sense of smell like me, who doesn't smoke like me, so they could claim it's a smoke free home but originally it came from a smoker's home?

I wonder if a febreeze bath would reduce or eliminate the smell?

Perhaps they got the items from someone who did smoke, and have terrible sense of smell like me, who doesn't smoke like me, so they could claim it's a smoke free home but originally it came from a smoker's home?

Oooh, maybe someone at the post office is a heavy smoker and it picked up the smell from there?

Oooh, maybe someone at the post office is a heavy smoker and it picked up the smell from there?

nope. tried that for a few weeks. didn't help at all.

Remember there is also tar in cigarettes. And if the toy's been around smoke too much, there will be unremovable traces of tar on the toy

Unfortunately, tar also retains odors...

Remember there is also tar in cigarettes. And if the toy's been around smoke too much, there will be unremovable traces of tar on the toy

Unfortunately, tar also retains odors...

I've always been able to use baking soda and charcoal to remove odors. even smoke, and I'm a smoking but I do not smoke inside only outside, So I constantly spray my office and clothes, because even though I do smoke. I do not want my figures smelling like it. Once a month I will also take the piece of charcoal and put it on a shelf and it will absorb the odors.

If you do get a figure that you need to clean up I find a can of air, water, and cotton swabs will easily clean up the tar on them. As long as you turn the can of air upside down and spray so it will instant freeze the tar making it easier to remove

Sometimes I wonder if some ebay sellers. get upset because their auctions sold for lower then they wanted. then they seek out revenge against the ebay buyer by grabbing a Cigar or cigarette & covering the toy up with smoke on purpose.

Personally their should be a law & fine or Strike on a ebay sellers account added for selling ebay toys covered in cigar/cigarette smell. because nicotene/tobacco has been proven to cause cancer & lung disease. so these ebay sellers are basically selling a envoirmentally un-safe toy to the buyer.

about two months ago,I bid & won a Rotf Leader jetfire junker toy for $15.50. the seller clearly made a few dollars off shipping fees as it cost me another $10 in shipping fees. this toy smelled of a big Cigar. it seemed like the seller purposely grabbed a cigar & smoked it all over the toy. since I was only using the toy as repair parts,I only needed a few parts. the remaining toy got washed in the sink,then I sprayed the figure with lysol,then it in a box & sealed it up.

naturally I was too scarred to give the ebay seller a negative feedback or report him to ebay. because sometimes these guys seek out further revenge by stalking you on the internet or stalking you out on ebay. I figured it wasn't worth the trouble of putting my life in danger over a $15 dollar toy +$10 in shipping fees.

To be honest I would think the aerosol in the Lysol spray would pose more of a cancer risk than the residual smell of smoke on the toy...

But if you are worried, wiping the figure with a warm slightly moist microfiber towel with a drop of dawn dish detergent on it would be more than enough to get any tar "and carcinogens" off of the figure. After wiping it with the soapy towel simply rinse and wring out the towel and wipe the figure down again to clean off any soap residue that's left over. Of course this would ruin any stickers on older figures, but if its loose and smells strongly of smoke then the stickers are probably rubbish anyways, newer figures should be fine though.

Also I would not seal it up in a box, instead let it air out in the shade next to a window.

Anyways, you can call ebay. But the most they will do is offer to open a case for a full refund after you send the figure back. Since you flooded the electronics with water and gave some of the parts to another figure I would assume you do not want this, since sending the figure back would mean you would have to be dishonest, plus you would have to hunt down another junker with the parts you need. You could always give the guy a negative review, but claiming something smells of smoke is a favorite among those with buyers remorse, so unless he gets a whole bunch of smoke complaints in a short amount of time then it probably wont hurt him all that badly.

Regardless of what you do, I cant think of any sane reason for someone to hunt you down over a bad review on a $25 toy... I mean even if you lived in the neighborhood with the guy, he would have to be pretty insane to attempt to physically attack you. Now that's not saying he might buy something from you in the future and return the favor, but if that's worrying you then just add him to your "blocked bidders" list. :tflaugh

Trust me, i would if i could. Didn't get into buying Beast Wars until he was off of the shelf. I had sold all my BW toys in the mid 00's anyways to make space for new stuff. Now i'm buying the whole collection. I need like 5 more to be done. I think. It's close.

um, yea i don't think people do it on purpose. The scorponok i bought was at the sellers BIN price of $25 since they've been hitting $40 around then with bids. I'm sure the seller had no mention of the smoke home. I'm not sure if smokers release they and their things smell like smoke....

Back when I was selling I never did because I didn't think much of it. I would now tho, although I smoked in a separate room and have since quit. I believe however my wife is sneaking cigarettes in there. Good thing most of my stuff stays in boxes and a curio however. Ambient cigarettes smoke can't really effect a box huh?

Archived