The Scourge Of Bumblebee

madman1366

Has there been Bumblebee Overload? Yes

Will the overload kill Transformers? No it wont

Not saying kill it literally, but kill the level of interest and variety we've come to enjoy from the strong sales. It seems the more we get plagued by more BB's the more end up getting cancelled at the end of the year...that sort of thing.

The big problem with bumblebee is that his toys are beginning to suck. Way back in 2007, the concept camaro was arguably the best deluxe toy to come out of the first movie line. Animated had a pretty nifty deluxe mold too. ROTF gave us the snazzy HA one.

...Then it started to go down hill with battle blades bumblebee (too many camaros already, and what a crappy name?). Then comes DOTM and takes the BBBB (again, seriously??) mold, shrinks it down and simplifies it. Then we get the even worse nitro bumblebee. On top of it, as goktimus said, we got a few dozen repaints of old bumblebee toys that everyone already owns.

...Then comes this craptacular Prime RID bumblebee, which seems to be the worst mold of then entire first wave of deluxes with its crappy chest and trasformation gimmick.

My point is that if hasbro wants to keep making half of each line consist of a yellow car, they better make sure that the figures are actually worth buying. Don't pack half a case of Prime toys and then decide the rest of the space is best filled with your "transformed" dinner from the night before.

It's not killing Transformers but it is making Transformers less diverse and dull. Imagine what the DotM Deluxe line would have been like if they'd just released four less Bumblebee and instead given us Deluxe Leadfoot, Soundwave, Que and Mirage. I was in Japan back in January and I spent a truckload of money because there were all these new toys there that we never got here (such as DOTM DLX Leadfoot, Soundwave and Que) -- whereas back home I just keep checking out local stores and passing up more and more Bumblebee repaints. So lately, I've been giving more of my money to Takara than Hasbro because Takara offers me new stuff - new characters that I don't have, instead of a repaint of a character I already have (and often the same mould too).

All these Bumblebee repaints have killed the diversity in Transformers. :( And it hurts Transformers other ways; because Bumblebees keep cluttering shelves retailers are reluctant to order new stock - and as such Hasbro becomes reluctant to provide new stock. Hasbro Australia has already chosen to SKIP Transformers Prime First Edition because retailers just aren't ordering new TF stock. Atm TRU and few other stores have released TF Prime RiD... but we never got First Edition. I fortunately got my FE toys from overseas, but I know a lot of other local collectors who are just spewing over the fact that we've missed First Ed. These people are definitely feeling Bumblebee's sting!

th_tokyo_soundwave2.jpgth_united_frumble_TV.jpg

^Hasbro would've probably gotten my money for these toys if they'd bothered to release them. But they didn't so I gave my money to Takara.

Yes,I agree with this thread.

I hate bumblebee toys & media character persona's.

Bumblebee caused the $29.99 HA toy assortment to fail. because every single case assortment had a bunch of bumblebee's thrown in,causing the newer figures to be short packed. worse of all retail stores refused to order newer waves because their were so many bumblebee's warming the shelves. I suspect HA Soundwave could have been slipped into a earlier assortment wave had it not been for bumblebee being packed in every assortment case wave.

Bumblebee being a DOTM Leader sized toy caused leader sized sentinel prime to come out of the next assortment wave. thus having bumblebee & ironhide leader sized toys on shelves & no more sentinel primes as the toy got permanetly cancelled.

Having so many bumblebee's in a deluxe assortment case. will no doubt cause problems for future assortment waves getting ordered. stores ain't gonna order newer deluxe waves until all the bumblebee deluxes are either sold out or lowered in number on the pegs. thus resulting in non-bumblebee toys being super hard to find in stores.

the only ones who benefit from the over excess of these bumblebee toys are the SCALPERS. As the scalpers making profits off the harder to find non-bumblebee toys on the secondary market.

I think the only solution for a TF toy buyer. Is to stop going to stores & pre-order your TF toys on-line. this way,you'll see no bumblebee's & you'll get what you want.

ONCE again TAKARA wins,As takara doesn't do mixed case assortments for their transformers toys. takara ships each individual TF character in it's own shipping box. thus preventing shelf & peg warmers. stores that takara distributes to doesn't have to deal with un-desired TF toys they don't want. stores are free to order characters they want & think will sell.

I dis-agree with the comments that bumblebee is a big seller & he's hasbro's biggest profit seller,thus hasbro overloads assortment cases with bumblebee. Hasbro is getting carried away at this point & forcing the bumblebee character down our throats.

These are the type of discussions that Hasbro needs to take note of and bring to the attention of retailers when they keep making insane requests.

Getting the topic going throughout the fandom might help a bit. The more it gets around, the harder it is to ignore.

I don't want it to come off as complaining for the sake of complaining, we're trying to help ourselves by helping them, be nice if they responded in kind.

That's the whole point here, Bumblebee can't be allowed to keep snuffing out entire assortments and ultimately leading to great figures being cancelled. I don't think Hasbro is out of line asking retailers to allow them to release their original mold assortments before bombarding the pegs with a zillion BB's and their subsequent repaints. I'd be willing to accept more BB's getting back loaded so long as all of the intended releases are allowed to be circulated first.

Seems like a reasonable thing, but in an unreasonable world it's sadly never that easy.

Yeah, considering that DOTM was a new toy line, it would make sense to release a newly sculpted, though normal Bumblebee that matches the one in the movie. That's reasonable and expected. But to also release repaints of other Bumblebee toys right in the first two waves was a bad idea. You save for later on, not to take the place of other characters who should be a part of the first two waves of toys.

If only we could get Hasbro to adopt a policy of all screen characters getting their figures out before any repaints, re-decos, or even completely new molds.

But that's like asking why common sense isn't so common anymore.

Archived