Upgraded homage new TF molds,Do you count non-classics styled homages from AEC,Universe,movie verse,animated,Prime,etc...

Shadowpanther

Upgraded homage new TF molds,Do you count non-classics styled homages from AEC,Universe,movie verse,animated,Prime,etc...

Personally I think the non-classics TF toy lines make better homages.

Technically,the classics/generations/RTS TF toy lines are not set in the generation one continuity universe. classics/generations/RTS is basically a alternate universe based off G-1.

I actually think their are some better updated homages in the NON-classics toy lines. Examples: lets not forget that the two best planet formers toys came from AEC.

Despite the toys limited articulation,I actually think energon ultra & leader sized galvatron are better homages than classics 2.0 galvatron.

Titanium 6 inch toy line created a few awesome updated homages that beat the classics homages. titanium scourge,rodimus prime,G-1 ultra magnus are way closer in homages than their classics counterparts toys.

I also think the Energon voyager sized Dreadwing toy is a excellent updated homage mold for the 1986 G-1 Scourge character/toy. even though the toy isn't named Scourge.

the movie verse did a few decent homages that simply look better than the classics/generations/RTS toys. like ROTF Deluxe Dirge.

a few of those deluxe & voyager sized constructicons toys from ROTF.

Even animated's toy line I feel created more closer updated homage new toys compared to classsics/generations/RTS. Examples: Delixe animated blurr & deluxe arcee are closer updated homages based off the 1986 movie/season designs compared to classics/generations/RTS.

I actually love Animated leader sized Megatron. because it's a updated homage based off the Takara TF 1991 battle stars/return of convoy Super Megatron art designs images.

The animated deluxe sized Swoop toy,I think is the best homage 1985 swoop toy design thus far.

Energon Ultra size Scorponk is a awesome updated homage based off the 1987 Scorponok toy designs. so is the Cybertron dark scorponok a awesome homage recolor based off the masterforce blackzark toy colors/designs.

I felt the ROTF Bludgeon & brawn were the closets updated homages the 1980's toys will ever receive.

Armada Scavenger is a cool homage based off the Generation 2 Auto-rollers gimmicks/designs.

I loved those Energon 5-in-1 combiners. they were awesome updated homages based off the scrable city 1980's TF combiners. the toys were the proper size & in tru scramble city style,the limbs were inter-changeable.

The takara/Hasbro Masterpiece TF toys,I consider the best & most accurate updated homages new molds thus far.

Alternators,I felt gave us a decent updated homages for 1985 tracks,hound,swindle & Prowl.

Beastmachines/Botcon Ultra sized Cyclonus toy mold,is a awesome updated homage based off the 1986 cyclonus toy.

I just think the updated homages are better in the non-classics/generations/RTS toy lines. because the toy budget money is higher. the toy sizes vary more & have more bigger sizes.

1. I think the CHUG toys do a great job homaging there respective characters. aside from a few obvious ones they are all spectacular.

2. The CHUG toys dont have a continuity. there just toys meant to homage other toys. theres no set continuity or story for those dudes.

3. all Movieverse homages suck. You really thing the ROTF dirge is a better toy than Generations Dirge?..seriously dude...i want some of what you are smoking..

4. Titanium Scourge is CRAP...

To me there are updates, and there are homages. "Updated homages" doesn't make sense to me, because they're two different (though similar) things.

To me, a homage is a figure meant to simply be reminiscent of a classic character, but a new character. Cybertron Smokescreen is a homage - he's painted to resemble G2 Smokey, shares the name and I think some personality, but he's a new character, one for the UT universe. The same for Excellion - he takes Cybertron Hot Shot's resemblance to Hot Rod to the max with the appropriate deco, but he isn't meant to be Hot Rod.

An update is a new toy meant to actually be the classic character. In most cases, while the homages are cool, I prefer toys intended to be the classic characters rather than simply evoking them. Target G1-style movie Jazz was appreciated, but it in no way was a substitute for a real G1 Jazz update.

The FunPub Classicsverse comics not withstanding, to me, the CHUG toys are G1 pure and simple, just reimagined or maybe versions from after the cartoon and comic ended. G1 season 5 or TF G2 issue 13 perhaps. These aren't alternate versions of G1 characters - they are the originals, just with modern engineering.

However, there are a few cases where I do use an alternate version in place of a Classics toy, even if one exists. The CHUG RatchHide mold stinks, so Cybertron Red Alert plays Ratchet in my collection. I got tired of the CHUG PBS mold, so I use CYB Smokescreen as a substitute. But even then, CHUG Ratchet is still a good update, obviously meant to be cartoon Ratchet; he's just a horrible toy, crippled by not being a voyager. And Smokescreen, I just wanted a little variety in their looks. Besides, I was out of work and couldn't justify buying the mold a third time.

Yeah, the other lines do have some great homages to G1, but they're not meant to be representations of the G1 characters, so they can't be better interpretations of those characters, at least to me.

FWIW,CHUG,Isn't meant to represent the G-1 1980'S universe. CHUG is a alternate G-1 universe like AEC,U,A,P,M is.

Personally,I don't care where a Updated homage new mold comes from. If it looks decent & close enough to the 1980's TF G-1 toy then it's a updated homage based off that toy. examples: Energon Scorponok. Armada Unicron. cybertron planet primus.

Sometimes if a G-1 TF toy was made awful,then I welcome a new take on the design & consider this a updated homage new mold. example: Cybertron leader sized Metroplex. the alt mode is based off a realistic extremly huge construction vechicle. 1986 metroplex had a awful vehicle mode,it was basicaly a water based aircraft carrier convertred into a rolling aircraft carrier with wheels & robot parts visible everywhere in vechicle mode like the head,arms,etc...

Titanium 6 inch Rodimus prime & G-1 Ultra magnus are the closets & best representations to the 1986 movie/season 3 animation of how rodimus prime & ultra magnus transform from robot then into a one piece truck,without the trailer detatching.

To me there are updates, and there are homages. "Updated homages" doesn't make sense to me, because they're two different (though similar) things.

To me, a homage is a figure meant to simply be reminiscent of a classic character, but a new character. Cybertron Smokescreen is a homage - he's painted to resemble G2 Smokey, shares the name and I think some personality, but he's a new character, one for the UT universe. The same for Excellion - he takes Cybertron Hot Shot's resemblance to Hot Rod to the max with the appropriate deco, but he isn't meant to be Hot Rod.

An update is a new toy meant to actually be the classic character. In most cases, while the homages are cool, I prefer toys intended to be the classic characters rather than simply evoking them. Target G1-style movie Jazz was appreciated, but it in no way was a substitute for a real G1 Jazz update.

The FunPub Classicsverse comics not withstanding, to me, the CHUG toys are G1 pure and simple, just reimagined or maybe versions from after the cartoon and comic ended. G1 season 5 or TF G2 issue 13 perhaps. These aren't alternate versions of G1 characters - they are the originals, just with modern engineering.

However, there are a few cases where I do use an alternate version in place of a Classics toy, even if one exists. The CHUG RatchHide mold stinks, so Cybertron Red Alert plays Ratchet in my collection. I got tired of the CHUG PBS mold, so I use CYB Smokescreen as a substitute. But even then, CHUG Ratchet is still a good update, obviously meant to be cartoon Ratchet; he's just a horrible toy, crippled by not being a voyager. And Smokescreen, I just wanted a little variety in their looks. Besides, I was out of work and couldn't justify buying the mold a third time.

Yeah, the other lines do have some great homages to G1, but they're not meant to be representations of the G1 characters, so they can't be better interpretations of those characters, at least to me.

FWIW,CHUG,Isn't meant to represent the G-1 1980'S universe. CHUG is a alternate G-1 universe like AEC,U,A,P,M is.

Well, FunPub is using the CHUG designs for their NeoG1, but there's no reason the toys can't represent classic G1 as well. Considering even back in the G1/G2 days characters got new bodies on occasion, there's no reason the modern ones can't simply be additional new forms. You may consider CHUG to represent a new universe, but a lot of fans, possibly even the majority, consider them G1, with no qualifications.

Personally,I don't care where a Updated homage new mold comes from. If it looks decent & close enough to the 1980's TF G-1 toy then it's a updated homage based off that toy. examples: Energon Scorponok. Armada Unicron. cybertron planet primus.

Homages, yes, but they're not updates; they represent different characters entirely. Well, Unicron & Primus are supposed to be "universal constants", so they technically are the same guys, but Energon Scorponok is not the same character as the G1 guy. And I don't recall G1 Scorpy turning into a truck with claws and a tail. :tflaugh

Sometimes if a G-1 TF toy was made awful,then I welcome a new take on the design & consider this a updated homage new mold. example: Cybertron leader sized Metroplex. the alt mode is based off a realistic extremly huge construction vechicle. 1986 metroplex had a awful vehicle mode,it was basicaly a water based aircraft carrier convertred into a rolling aircraft carrier with wheels & robot parts visible everywhere in vechicle mode like the head,arms,etc...

That's one of my favorite G1 toys, actually. I love the city mode, perfect for minibots, Spychangers & Legends. I thought the Cybertron toy was a terrible homage - no resemblance to the classic character at all. I didn't bother getting it because I considered it an instance of "slap any name on, who cares?" I'd love a reimagined G1 Metroplex, even if Hasbro sacrificed the mobile base mode to improve the city and robot forms.

Titanium 6 inch Rodimus prime & G-1 Ultra magnus are the closets & best representations to the 1986 movie/season 3 animation of how rodimus prime & ultra magnus transform from robot then into a one piece truck,without the trailer detatching.

Magnus I'll give you, but the floppy robot mode, bad posture and weird looking head on Rodimus trump the "completeness" of the transformation. I prefer Classics Rodimus as the Hot Rod update and Rodimus + Protector armor for Rodimus Prime. Titanium Roddy went in storage as soon as I got Protector.

CHUG figures are basically what each of the characters portrayed would be if they were done today. No, Classics Optimus is not g1 Optimus, but he is what g1 Optimus would be if they were doing g1 right now. It has nothing to do with being a new universe or parallel reality or anything like that. That was the original Universe line that had that. Universe 2.0 was never placed in with the original Universe line, it was an extension of Classics as is Generations.

That was how Hasbro explained the concept of Classics way back before it began.

More on topic, if a figure makes for an appropriate substitute for a CHUG figure then by all means, do what makes you happy. I've thought of placing figures from some other lines in with CHUG to take the place of those not done yet. Except for Animated. The aesthetics just don't make any sense to really use any of those figures as CHUG stand ins. Plenty of movie line figures over the years make great stand ins as well, don't know how or why anyone would think it's so impossible. Cough...ROTF Hoist...Cough.

Archived