What's the most you've ever paid for a Transformer toy?

Goktimus Prime

I remember seeing some DOTM toys on sale at a collectable store in China a few months before the movie figures came out, and yeah, some of the prices were ridiculous. But I stick with my "Never pay above retail" rule and told (through a translator) the storekeeper that his prices were too high - and why should I pay them (his toys were all loose btw) when I could just wait a few months and buy them Mint On Sealed Card at a cheaper price. He offered to match the retail price - but I refused... buy a LOOSE toy for something I could get SEALED if I just wait a while? I'll wait thanks! He did budge on Sideswipe and Skids though and sold those to me at below retail price. :) Although Skids was (a) a crap toy, and (b) had a faulty part, so I took it back for an exchange/refund (which he wasn't happy about but I told him that I wasn't going to pay for a faulty toy!)

newdotm.jpg

^Mmm... overpriced loose early toys fresh...

Earlier this year I got my TF Prime First Edition toys from Hong Kong and Japan, and also my DOTM Deluxe Soundwave, Que and Leadfoot in Japan -- at the time I didn't know if Hasbro Australia would release these toys here or not. But since I had the chance, I decided to get them (oh, and I got Generations Junkheap and Sky Shadow - both of which Hasbro AU had already skipped). Now of course we know that Hasbro aren't going to bother with DOTM Soundwave, Leadfoot and Que, and we've already got TF Prime RiD figures in some stores here - confirming that we have skipped First Edition; so I'm mighty glad I got these figures from overseas while I could. But I sure as hell did NOT pay above retail price for any of those figures. And I got two free exclusive "Arms Microns" for my trouble too. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

most i have ever spent? $20!!! Best deal I have ever with $20? Leader Starscream, at Ross.

Now the most expensive transforming toy (or about of any toy I have purchased) is the Toynami book set of Robotech transforming jet and it's armor / booster add on set. Total cost $160. The damn toy was so fragile that parts would just fall off. So I thought I would never spend that kind of money on a toy ever again. My toy budget limit is set to $30 a month, providing that I do have the extra $10-$30 to spend to spend on my hobby. With tough economy I have really tightened up. Toys are so cool and so fun but are so below the bottom of my priority list :)

Archived