What's the most you've ever paid for a Transformer toy?

Goktimus Prime

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow good thread.

This is a hard one, trying to remember stuff. I think I paid around $65 for Device Label Ravage. I don't regret it but in retrospect thats a lot for such a small figure. The most I've ever paid was over $100 for MP Starscream and Optimus. I spent $65 on ROTF Chara Hobby Soundwave, I have a Frenzy_Rumble custom commissioned thats ran me $125 (supposed to be $250 when its finished) but that was a long time ago. Regardless thats a lot for a deluxe sized figure. I'm sure theres something I'm forgetting.

Can I count ROTF Arcee and Chromia? I know I paid about 97% more than they're worth, and I only paid $6 each.

Well in that case I spent roughly $10 on ROTF Rampage. Thats 110% too much, as I feel like I should've been paid to take it from the store.

Like my last post in this thread, I did chuck $350 for an RID Fort Max. Some other expensive purchases for me include the following:

• Complete G1 Predaking - $330
  • Complete G1 Seacons - $350
  • Complete G1 Devastator - $210
  • Complete G1 Bruticus - $185

Most I've spent period was on lots $200 and $250 on two big lots way back when.

Since then I've never really gone far over $100 (including shipping) on many figures. My most expensive are MP Megatron, MP Starscream (original Takara) and the 4 Hercules figures I've gotten so far.

Coming in just under $100 was a bargain buy GF Wing Convoy gift set. Thanks to a fellow member here who was in Japan when these were clearance and hooked a bunch of us up.

I don't know why, I just have problems spending too much over $100 for any one figure or set. I guess that's where I draw my line. Haven't gotten any reissue combiners that went over. So no Predaking or Devastator as of yet, but I can always hope!

Hey guys, please remember that we are talking about toys that are the most "relatively expensive" - which means (for this thread) anything above the regular retail price for that toy. I know that a lot of toys aren't even worth their RRP, but to keep things consistent let's just use their RRPs as a standard.

For example I paid $300 for Brave Maximus (only $20 less than what I paid for Fortress Maximus), but I don't consider this to be a "relatively" expensive purchase because I paid the retail price. It became more expensive because the Australian Dollar was _really_ weak in 2000 so a lot of Aussie collectors had to pay more for overseas toys through currency exchange. But that's got nothing to do with the RRP, so I disregard that. I also paid $100 for insured shipping because the insurance would cover me if anything should happen to my $300 in transit. Thankfully nothing happened, but with such an expensive toy I figured better safe and sorry. But that's the cost of postage, not the cost of the toy itself.

So what I mean by "relative" expense is -- look at the core regular retail price of the toy. For G1 toys you can Google for catalogues -- I found a few, but they all show US store prices from the 1980s, which isn't that useful for me. But I know an Australian collector who still has his price stickers on two of his Targetmaster boxes, so I was able to get an Australian RRP from him. Others are based on my estimate/guesstimates for what the AU RRP would have been had the toy been available here. Fortress Maximus was the most expensive G1 toy at the RRP of US$89.99-100 -- so if you've paid above that price for any G1 toy that's not a Maximus, then you've made a relatively expensive purchase!

---------------

To make things more interesting, may I ask folks to also include reasons for why they chose to make such relatively expensive purchases? For me it's something I rarely do. I buy most of my Transformers in stores at their retail prices. I've only resorted to paying stupid inflated aftermarket prices for some of the bigger/expensive toys that I missed out on as a kid (e.g. Scorponok) or just weren't available here (e.g. TM Blurr).

Up until Hercules it was G1 Victory Saber. Saber and Lio ended up running me around 180 total and then it took another 75 to get Victory Leos giant gun. Which beats the 220 I dropped on European Overlord. I still have the fort max that I had as a kid, but probably would have tracked it down if I hadnt.

I did pay $45 to get a DOTM deluxe Topspin a few months early, that was with shipping. I thought it was reasonable for an early movie line fix.

Like with general purchases, I tend to only get older stuff when I can get a steal of a bargain on it. If I had a lot more disposable income that wouldn't be the case, but I think I've done remarkably well especially during times when resources were extremely scarce for me.

Kinda felt like dude in the movie "In Time" my collecting ability was day to day just as his life was...crazy and chaotic but somehow always managing to get what I needed to keep going.

There are some figures I've spent between $50 to $100 on, but at the time those were bargains. Paid $90 shipped for a vintage g1 Optimus. This was before loads of reissues came out and you were damn lucky to find one in this kind of condition for under $100. More pleasantly I later found out that this particular one is the very first issue that is different from the rest. He's pre-rub with light blue trailer bits and roller and has several key noticeable differences in the cab/bot molding. Apparently one of the rarest g1 Optimus variants you can get. So I did OK there.

Many I paid decent money for I later resold for at or near the price I bought them. Springer and Whirl were 2 I had in awesome condition that I had to let go, along with all of my combiners.

Archived