Ongoing Discussions Regarding Transformers Collectors Club Security Breach Thread: Update: Breach Occurred, Cancel Cards, Change Passwords

Overbite

Mods: if this is in the wrong area/not allowed please move/delete/merge as appropriate. I couldn't find any threads about this.

Just a heads up to fellow TF collectors. Some of the other TF websites have members that have had their credit/debit card info compromised after purchasing items, renewing memberships, or ordering Botcon registration packagess from the Transformers Collectors Club.

While it is still premature to point fingers yet, TFCC is getting some heat for a lack of notifying those who may be affected.

So if you have purchased from the TFCC club within the past couple of months, be sure to keep an eye on your bank account and credit cards for fraudulent activity.

Info:

TFCC

TFCC statement (pdf)

Threads from other TF websites:

tfw2005.com

seibertron.com

allspark.com

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No this is the perfect spot, sir, and we appreciate you posting about it.

Has anybody else had this issue? Please post to let us know.

Also, if this has happened to you, please be sure to follow the link to the statement provided by Overbite and follow the steps that are provided.

As always, we should not jump to conclusions to whether or not it is Fun Pub's fault of their credit processor. Until it is all sorted out, please withhold judgement.

Wow, this is happening way too often lately. In general. Not singling any company out, mind you. You'd think with VCC verification these issues would be limited. Guess not.

I was a TFCC Club member for over three years,until I quit being a club member last year. I use to post threads & replies on their message forums. almost all the members including myself complained about the obsolete technology the TFCC club used for it's forums & ordering buying site.

It's quite possible the TFCC club's forums & ordering site doesn't have the proper updated encrytpted codes to prevent hackers from hacking their sites. it's possible the TFCC software is as obsolete & inferior as google & usenet is,where anyone can hack into the site.

I don't remember if the TFCC ordering site offers the paypal buying option. the paypal option is great to offer since paypal sends buyers to their super encrypted coded site. if TFCC's site didn't offer the paypal buying option,then this is most likely the reasons hackers were able to break into the site & steal members credit card info.

before I left the TFCC club,I made a few suggestions to help the owners out. like suggesting the club magazine they send out to members via the post office. that the TFCC club upload the magazine to the site & made it digital. similar to what the game stop store/site does with the game infomer magazine by making it digital on the internet. the responses I received from the owners was that the site's software couldn't handle such intense magazine pages uploads & visitors viewing the magazine pages on-line.

the owners basically said if it went digital then the option would be just paying for digital or paying for a paper magazine. the owners didn't want to give paid members the option of both digital & printed paper magazine,it was one or the other & not both. The response from the TFCC Club members was far worse,as they all thought the club magazine was worth it's weight in GOLD & thought the magazine was highly collectable & worth hundreds of dollars per club magazine issue. which made no sense considering the older IDW TF comics in stores,months later get thrown in a big box & sell for 50 cents each. both the owners & members didn't want a digital club magazine. which was quite sad due to the slow shipping of the magazine. a digital version of th club magazine would have insured all club members viewed the club magazine on-line at the same exact time of release.

FWIW,The club magazine is only 12 pages incuding the front & back covers. the magazine is basically 5 pages of the comic & 5 pages of fan created bio's interviews & art. since the club sends the magazine out 6 times per year. 6 issues times 5 pages of comic basically equals one full comic that IDW creates for their TF comics for $3.99. to make matters worse the club magazine is printed on very weak,thin paper that almost feels like tissue paper.

The club freebie toy the TFCC club claims to give away for free every year. each club members pays $40 per year for membership. the $40 club members pay per year,their paying $40 for that so called freebie club toy.

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. My bank alerted me a few days ago that there was a suspicious transaction on my Visa bank card. It was an authorization from Yahoo! Wallet of 0.00, the same day that I pre-ordered Overrun. Here's the funny thing, this was just before the store had to shut down. I did get an error message saying to try another card which i did and it got processed, yet only the first card was affected. What a funny coincidence, they had to fix their software for card transactions the same day and so many people are facing this issue.

Yeah, I'd much rather have a physical copy of the magazine.

Wow, this is happening way too often lately. In general. Not singling any company out, mind you. You'd think with VCC verification these issues would be limited. Guess not.

It should be interesting to note that TransformersClub uses the same Credit Card handler that TFSource does (or did)... Authorize.net. Not saying that is it. But I definately wouldn't put a credit card number into that website, it is written very poorly! They are another example of a company that doesn't pay close enough attention to the security of their website.

*sigh* Whatever happened to PayPal or Yahoo? I understand that some money is lost in using these services, but well worth safeguarding your customers!

Personally,I would have chosen the paypal payment option.

With the obsolete & inferior software the TFCC owners/site offers. perhaps it's TFCC's fault for not wanting to update the site to offer the paypal option to members.

at any rate if the TFCC club knew the payment option on their site was so obsolete/inferior. then they should have put up auctions on ebay for members to buy the club exclusives their. or asked hasbrotoysshop.com to sell the club exclusives on their HTS.com site.

So it seems like this has to do with the Over-Run crash? I think we would have heard more about it if it were Botcon registration. Either way its just more proof that TFCC kind of blurs the line between passable and suck.

Archived