Shmax.com site status and discussion

Tripredacus

Aren't you the guy that wins all his photo contests? Yep just checked yes you are. Oh also a moderator.

I don't think that is a valid gripe really. The amount of people who submit high-quality photos to the amount of users is very very small. I've tried photos too but I'm not even good enough at it for them to get approved. Have you done any photos yet? Some day I plan to get a real camera, all mine suck for that kinda thing.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shmax's pricing is kind of crazy. It's saying a boxed(not sealed) Highbrow is worth as much as a box Scorponok.... They have an opened Mixmaster at $150 and a opened Kreo OP (the SMALL one!) at $150 as well. Crazyness!

:o

It's not that big of a deal for me personally. All I know is if I decide to ever sell the value is whatever someone pays me for it. Which in my past experience you gotta price that shit to move!

Something weird just happened. I checked the value of my collection (highest first) and number one is Hasbro BW Megatron? Worth just under $30? After logging in and rechecking it's now at Q-Robo purple Megatron at $238.86. More like it lol.

Aren't you the guy that wins all his photo contests? Yep just checked yes you are. Oh also a moderator.

I don't think that is a valid gripe really. The amount of people who submit high-quality photos to the amount of users is very very small. I've tried photos too but I'm not even good enough at it for them to get approved. Have you done any photos yet? Some day I plan to get a real camera, all mine suck for that kinda thing.

Actually a Mod of a site that wins all that sites "Contests" is more likely to be biased in their opinions of that site. Its like when you are sponsored for a product. You need to sell that product. He is basically selling his site.

Interesting. Usually under common laws of conflict, employees or volunteers of a company are excluded from any awards or contests.

The only thing I do not like about Shmax is how you go through and click on the ones you have, I like how Transformerland has theirs set up. that would make it easier as far as I am concerned. Though I do have to applaud Shmax for how indepth they go with everything

I'd prefer it if Shmax had it set up like Transformerland the entire line on one page and you can just click the box if you have it

And shmax is not straight forward

If I had the money and time I would take Transformerland and Shmax smash them together, so I had Transformerland's layout, with Shmax's indepthness.

We had to grill Lord_Onslaught a bit to find out exactly what he meant by all this, but it turns out that what he likes about Transformersland is their "gallery" view. Well, it seemed like an interesting idea to me so I've developed something similar for shmax.com. See what you think:

http://www.shmax.com/database/238?show=gallery&sort=category

There's a thread going on in our forums if you want to leave some feedback or be part of the discussion:

http://www.shmax.com/forum/index.php?topic=1721.0

Interesting. Usually under common laws of conflict, employees or volunteers of a company are excluded from any awards or contests.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with anything, but

1. They weren't really "contests" in the sweepstakes sense--the winners were simply the people who submitted the most photos (and all the photos were required to meet our guidelines)
  2. shmax.com is not a company (I'm the sole developer). I know it seems flashy, but really it's just a personal hobby of mine, makes no money, and in fact costs me quite a bit to keep online
  3. Engledogg is not an employee or a "volunteer of a company", whatever that means (see above). Doing moderator work at shmax.com and submitting photos is his personal hobby

The prizes for the contests came out of my own pocket, and were distributed proportionately to the participants. I don't think we had more than one or two participants in any of the contests who didn't wind up with some measure of the prizes. Anyway, we don't do them anymore as they're very labor-intensive for me and I've found it easier in recent years to just work out arrangements with heavy contributors personally, and reward them individually. I'm also in the habit of making photographic equipment available (usually light tents and lighting) to the true all-stars. Contact me at shmax.com if you're interested in participating. Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Engledogg is not an employee or a "volunteer of a company", whatever that means (see above). Doing moderator work at shmax.com and submitting photos is his personal hobby

Not gonna parse words with you or anything. However, I am a moderator for this site and that excludes me from any compensation above and beyond what was initially agreed to. If we had any event such as 'whoever submits the most photos wins', I couldn't reap the reward of it. That's what I meant by conflict of interest. If members see someone who is a part of your 'development' getting all the prizes for photo submissions, it will stifle participation. From at least 2 poster's comments on this thread, that looks to be a legitimate concern. Members will think favortism is going about. I'm sure it's based off volume alone, and I'm not insinuating anything. However, it looks like there's some people who might be.

That's all I'm gonna say on this topic. :)

Archived