Shmax.com site status and discussion

Tripredacus

i read through the thread that someone else posted on here about the same issue and it didn't seem like the site owner got offended at all.

Talk to him personally. Your view will change. Strange thing he contacted me to ask what I thought of the site. When I told him it was difficult to navigate through he got all flustered.

I talk to him personally often (not on the phone or anything) and don't get that vibe at all. :wtf

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

navigating through there is pretty straight forward i think. I'd like collapsable side menus that don't have to reload the page but thats just me.

I'd prefer it if Shmax had it set up like Transformerland the entire line on one page and you can just click the box if you have it

And shmax is not straight forward

navigating through there is pretty straight forward i think. I'd like collapsable side menus that don't have to reload the page but thats just me.

I'd prefer it if Shmax had it set up like Transformerland the entire line on one page and you can just click the box if you have it

Thats the same thoughts I had. I also asked about the whole Perfect pics thing. He doesn't like being questioned. Maybe he's learned some calming techniques since then? Who knows.

Thats the same thoughts I had. I also asked about the whole Perfect pics thing. He doesn't like being questioned. Maybe he's learned some calming techniques since then? Who knows.

If I had the money and time I would take Transformerland and Shmax smash them together, so I had Transformerland's layout, with Shmax's indepthness.

Ouch! Where are all these personal attacks coming from? I went rummaging through my PM's looking for messages from "Cybcouncil" so I could see what kind of damage I caused, but I couldn't find anything. So, I have no context for any of this nor means to defend my behavior, and all I can say is that I only remember one angry flurry of IM's via AIM with someone several years ago that was very aggressive, demanding, and difficult, and I do recall losing my temper. If that was you, I apologize!

Otherwise, we do love suggestions at shmax.com. We have a whole forum dedicated to suggestions, and if you read the daily updates, you'll see I do my best to credit people for their input (usually bug reports).

Regarding the transformerland comments: I don't want to get into any which-site-is-better debate, as I think it's a great site and really have nothing negative to say, but I think I need someone to explain the issue to me in detail. You can see all of any one line (or sub-line, or sub-sub-line) on shmax.com in one view as well (with pagination). We also have the "breadcrumbs" for each item so it's absolutely clear where in the toyline-space it exists. We also have tons of options for sorting, filtering, and searching--really the number of views available is infinite. At the most basic level, I always thought that navigating shmax.com isn't much different than eBay (well, the way it used to be a few years ago) or amazon.com--you have a nav menu on the left you can drill-down into, and you can search at any time.

And finally, someone mentioned something about a single checkbox being better--I looked around and couldn't find this feature on transformerland, but I can tell you that we started off the same way. Someone eventually realized that the problem with such a system is that you can't own "multiples" of a toy, and collectors wanted to track ALL of their toys. And yet, if "yes/no" is good enough for you, you can simply click "Add to my collection", ignore all of the fine-grain options available (price paid, date bought, missing parts, etc), and be done with it. So it's still one click in that mindset.

The shmax.com mods and I love talking about this kind of thing more than anything else, so please, bring your comments, flaming torches and pitchforks over to our forums and I guarantee that you will get bored with the discussion before I do.

And shmax is not straight forward.

I'd say it's very straight-forward. Everything is organized by country, each of which are easily accessed from the Navigation Menu, found on the left side of the screen on this page:

http://www.shmax.com/database/1

So, to get to something like U.S. Cybertron, two clicks will show you all of U.S. Cybertron - one on the + sign by "United States" and then one on the + by "Cybertron". All of the other subcategories (like Scout, Deluxe, etc.) are viewable at that point. So, another click on which subcategory name you want and you can view that subcategory. Say you wanted to look at the Scout Class figures. You would click on Scout Class and find yourself here:

http://www.shmax.com/database/389?num_results=100

Or, if you want to see all of Cybertron all at once, simply click the + by United States, then the word Cybertron. To see as much as you can on one page, change the # of results per page to 100.

If you don't want to look at the entire Cybertron category anymore, to go anywhere else, back over on the left, just click any country/category/subcategory you want to look at and you're right there.

For example, if you want to look at Malaysian-specific ROTF toys, simply click the + by Malaysia, then click on Revenge of the Fallen and you end up here:

http://www.shmax.com/database/1617?num_results=100

Alternatively, you could just search for what you're looking for. Want to see all the Peruvian Mini-Cars? Type "Peru Mini-Cars" in the search box.

Once you've got browsing down, adding something to your collection is very simple. You can either do it quick and easy (just click the add to my collection link found below each record) or, if you want to get more involved, you can click the blue bar that appears and input price paid, date of purchase, etc. there.

MIKE

engledogg

And shmax is not straight forward.

I'd say it's very straight-forward. Everything is organized by country, each of which are easily accessed from the Navigation Menu, found on the left side of the screen on this page:

http://www.shmax.com/database/1

So, to get to something like U.S. Cybertron, two clicks will show you all of U.S. Cybertron - one on the + sign by "United States" and then one on the + by "Cybertron". All of the other subcategories (like Scout, Deluxe, etc.) are viewable at that point. So, another click on which subcategory name you want and you can view that subcategory. Say you wanted to look at the Scout Class figures. You would click on Scout Class and find yourself here:

http://www.shmax.com/database/389?num_results=100

Or, if you want to see all of Cybertron all at once, simply click the + by United States, then the word Cybertron. To see as much as you can on one page, change the # of results per page to 100.

If you don't want to look at the entire Cybertron category anymore, to go anywhere else, back over on the left, just click any country/category/subcategory you want to look at and you're right there.

For example, if you want to look at Malaysian-specific ROTF toys, simply click the + by Malaysia, then click on Revenge of the Fallen and you end up here:

http://www.shmax.com/database/1617?num_results=100

Alternatively, you could just search for what you're looking for. Want to see all the Peruvian Mini-Cars? Type "Peru Mini-Cars" in the search box.

Once you've got browsing down, adding something to your collection is very simple. You can either do it quick and easy (just click the add to my collection link found below each record) or, if you want to get more involved, you can click the blue bar that appears and input price paid, date of purchase, etc. there.

MIKE

engledogg

Aren't you the guy that wins all his photo contests? Yep just checked yes you are. Oh also a moderator.

Archived