What's your over all opinion on the Live action TF movies & movie verse toy lines

Shadowpanther

See, I'm the opposite. I thought the designs were well executed, with some elements that either have become--or should definitely be--canon. I don't know how "realistic" the designs were, as various structural elements are doing things that metal/plastic should not be able to do under the banner of "realism," but then again this entire exercise is all about the suspension of belief. And some of these toys are spectacular from an articulation standpoint. I mean, what can't you do with ROTF Mixmaster, for instance? Now, the movie did tend to give the Decepticons much more of an insectoid feel than the Autobots proper, but when hasn't a franchise of any sort overcompensated for its stable of villains?

I agree, I love the variation in the movie designs. As opposed to the flat, dull faces and blocky bodies of most other versions of TFs.

I accept that TFs in the movieverse (and actually probably other universes) have metal, plastic, etc. that can bend and warp without using mass shifting.

Oh, don't misunderstand: I accept it, too. It just means that the toys--unlike MOST of what we've seen from Animated and Prime--will give up a certain level of translation from the CGI/animation designs to what we (eventually) see in a store (see: ROTF Jetfire, for starters). Granted, I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but it's not lost on me that the best versions of Bayverse Optimus and Bay'Bee are their respective, non-transforming dual model kits (highly recommended if you don't have them).

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I'd love to give mad props to ROTF Mixmaster, his arm kibble kinda hinders a lot of poses (the flatbed parts with wheels moreso than the barrel segments. ) At least for me anyway.

As much as I'd love to give mad props to ROTF Mixmaster, his arm kibble kinda hinders a lot of poses (the flatbed parts with wheels moreso than the barrel segments. ) At least for me anyway.

Part of me wanted to knock the toy just for the kibblicious arms...but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I have to give the designers a ton of credit for working a robot that looked like THAT into a cement truck. That's worth the price of the admission alone for me. But Mixmaster is very much an acquired taste and definitely not for everyone. But that goes for the Bayverse Constructicons in general...they are so incredibly aberrant.

Agreed. Beyond the kibble and a joke of the 3rd mode that i STILL can't figure out, he really is a fun toy.

The constructicons all fell short of how much potential they had IMO. the different body types for their bot modes was clever, but then the toys were so disappointing. Plus at least one that had an impossible robot mode (yeah the volvo rock crusher with treads totally turns into a Scrapper clone. You could even clearly see a WHEEL bounce forward when he got cannibalized for parts)

Finally, you have Devastator, who failed the hardest at his potential. The individual constructicons already shown on screen should've been the very same ones that formed him, he should've had a huge epic fight against the Autobots, and of course....his balls needed to not exist... And his toy? BLUGH!!!

I could have accepted an Bayformers Devastator if it was comprised of a team of Decepticons with humanoid alt-modes, like all of the other large Bayformers. What they made looked bad on screen and resulted in weird, ugly, awkward and inconsistent toys.

I completely agree with both of your points with regards to Devastator, and partially with regards to the Constructicons proper. I think that overall the designs worked for me, and would have translated better with proper characterization in the film itself...but that topic has been done to death over and over and over again.

Insofar as Devastator is concerned: it galls me that with as unconventional as the individual Constructicons were that the designers attempted to make a giant unicycle, a robotic snake (Rampage), whatever the hell Overload was supposed to be and varying degrees of traditional vaguely humanoid bipeds (all the innumerable rest of the Constructicon crew) into a standard gestalt. The concept art didn't look bad at all for Devs, I actually liked it, but clearly the conceptual art calls for more participants than the toy allows for, and a good lot of them never received toys above the scout class. So, no. Supreme Devastator cannot, without one hell of a kitbasher, work, whether the individual bots have robot modes or not.

Hasbro should have gone the extra mile to produce a good toy; Mike Bay & Co. should have made an attempt to write for this fantastically colossal being they introduced to their universe--especially one that is perhaps the most universally beloved Combiner of them all. Once again, disappointment, disappointment...disappointment.

Agreed...with everything. those are my thoughts exactly. For once, Devastator looked like the mighty beast G1 always portrayed him as...and then he does so little!

I hope we'll see new toys of these guys later on someday...Toys done right

For the all excuses regarding that writer's strike, here's a very simple idea that doesn't need that much thought: GIANT MONSTER MOVIE. ROTF shouldn't have had The Fallen. It should have been a monster movie with the Constructicons and Devastator as the primary antagonists. You don't need to be a genius to make up a story like that.

For the all excuses regarding that writer's strike, here's a very simple idea that doesn't need that much thought: GIANT MONSTER MOVIE. ROTF shouldn't have had The Fallen. It should have been a monster movie with the Constructicons and Devastator as the primary antagonists. You don't need to be a genius to make up a story like that.

There it is, Mike Bay. RIGHT THERE.

What gets me is the Legends Devastator Combiner set was really well done as far as I'm concerned. 7 bots, 7 alt modes, 1 great looking combined mode. Why this couldn't have simply been translated to a larger class I'll never know....

Archived