DOTM Mech tech combining weapons,was it a failure or a succcess,you decide.

Shadowpanther

DOTM Mech tech combining weapons,was it a failure or a succcess,you decide.

what's your over-all opinion on the mech-tech combining weapons.

Did anyone here actually combine various mech tech weapons to create bigger weapons?

Personally,I view it as a total failure. due to the fact each individual mech-tech weapon was already over-sized & too big for the robot to hold/display. Combining already over-sized mech-tech weapons meant it would be harder for the indidual robot to hold & support it's weight in display poses on a display shelf. also combining already over sized mech-tech weapons for a robot made it look more awkward as far as appearaces went.

I think the combining mech-tech weapons idea would have worked it the mech-tech weapons were under-sized like the alternators weapons. combining smaller weapons into a bigger weapon would have produced less weight stabilty robot problems & would have looked better in visual appearances.

LASTLY & MOST IMPORTANT,I think the mech tech weapons should have been one singular designed weapon that got broken up into several parts & was given to two or three robots. Examples: (1)The 1999 car robots master God sword,broken up into three pieces & each part given to fire convoy,god magnus & brave maximus. then you combine all three pieces & you get the master God Sword.

(2) 1984 Megatron's fusion canon,break it up into three individual parts & give each part to megatron,shockwave & soundwave. then you combine all three parts to get the megatron fusion canon. (3 Armada star saber sword,break it up into three minicons & give each minicon to various robots like hotshot,scavenger & blurr. (4) Armada sword,break up the three minicons & give each robot a minicon like megatron,demolisher & starscream. then combine all three parts/minicons to create the Shield.

Sure the mech tech over sized weapons could connect to each other via connector ports. but sadly the weapons being connected were weirdly shapped,differently colored,over sized to begin with. I think the proper thing to do was select a singular color,a singular design broken up into several parts like doing a puzzle & having the individual mech tech weapons being under sized & not over sized.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the idea itself was better than the execution, but from a playability standpoint I know my kids enjoyed the hell out of it. The fact that Mech Tech weapons, Minicons, and PCC drones all fit on the same pegs also made for some interesting combinations.

And the oversized weapons look much less awkward if you just bump them up to the next class size. Then they look pretty good.

So yeah, it wasn't the greatest gimmick, but it wasn't a total fail either. This is mostly for the kids anyway, and mine had fun.

I love it! I've used Legos and rubber bands to help non-DotM hold the weapons as well. Usually I'll put smaller non-Mech Tech weapons with the 5mm pegs on bigger Mech Tech weapons...

That's what I'm talking about! One thing Hasbro got right here recently is that everything pegs to everything else. My middle boy came out one day with TRU exclusive Inferno. He (Inferno) was brandishing HA Backfire in his 3rd weapon mode, and the whole deal was outfitted with Minicons, Mech Tech weapons, and even some PCC drones (Inferno has a ton of pegs). It looked really cool, and he had a blast putting it all together!

The Mech Tech was an Epic Fail, and cost proper size. With Voyager not only being smaller, but forced retailers to reduce the price to $15 just to move them

The Mech Tech was an Epic Fail, and cost proper size. With Voyager not only being smaller, but forced retailers to reduce the price to $15 just to move them

I agree with this valid point.

I agree that the main robot toy suffered because of the mech-tech gimmick.

Compared to the 2007 movie toys & ROTF/HFTD toy,most of the Dotm toys had to get thinner/inferior plastic quality. most of the dotm toys had to be shorter & more narrow. most of the DOTM toys joint technology & engineering had to be inferior. most of the DOTM toys sculpt suffered & was lower grade. ALL THIS WAS DONE because the mech-tech weapons were over sized & hasbro didn't icrease the money/price on the assortment toy sizes. in order to come on budget these cut backs I mentioned had to take place.

The only DOTM toys that didn't suffer were the ones that didn't include the mech-tech over sized weapon. like the legends,scouts,commanders,etc...

We had these same exact problems with Armada,where the bigger toys had to sacrifice some articulated joints because of the minicons. in order to come on budget,cutbacks to the bigger main robot toy was done.

Another kicker, is they could have easily reused the molds again, they had already paid for themselves so why all of a sudden make new ones and have to pay for those?

I also do not care for any of the Mech Tech weapons as you can not keep most of them locked into place anyway. And like you said they were oversized. which was needless and did nothing more then to

cause problems for the figure. Each time I look at my Voyager Optimus Prime, I can not help but think I paid $15 for a Deluxe figure. I really hope they do not bring Mech Tech back and let it die in the trash with the minicons

Which is all well and good except ROTF deluxe class figures cost $12-$13 and ROTF voyager figures cost $20-$23 depending on where you bought them. DOTM deluxe figures started at $10 and DOTM voyagers started at $18. It's really easy to compare as DOTM deluxes are on the shelf right next to Generations deluxes, which are still $2-$3 more.

Which is all well and good except ROTF deluxe class figures cost $12-$13 and ROTF voyager figures cost $20-$23 depending on where you bought them. DOTM deluxe figures started at $10 and DOTM voyagers started at $18. It's really easy to compare as DOTM deluxes are on the shelf right next to Generations deluxes, which are still $2-$3 more.

When ROTF was out I was only paying between $9 and $11, ROTF Voyager was $15 to $20. Though I scored Bludgeon for $12. The point is the prices were the same the only difference is that the DOTM voyager pricetag had to be dropped 25% just so people would buy them. DOTM deluxe has been $9 - $9.88 since they were released. Everyone of the price points had been dropped except for the Human Alliance and Leader Class

Which proves my point: DOTM figures didn't shrink to maintain a price point. The price went down when the figures shrank. Deluxes haven't been $9-$10 since TF07. In that regard Mech Tech weapons could be considered a bonus as they're essentially free.

Archived