Collecting Other Toys

Breaker

in answer to your question Breaker...i actually started collecting Gundam stuff before Transformers. HG Kits, MG Kits, SD Kits, and the random MSIA here and there....but as you know both hobbies can be quite expensive. So i had to start budgeting my collecting...I also collect and play Magic the Gathering...another potentially expensive hobby....so now its just Transformers and Magic. I do have a nice sized shelf that still holds some of my favorite Gundams.....but for the most part i sold or gave away a ton of them...i think i still have maybe 40 or so..ill still buy the random SD kit every now and then seeing as they are relatively inexpensive compared to some of the HG and MG kits...

Magic is such a racket. You don't realize your buying colorful peices of paper (or worse: digital) until you've already dropped $20 (or whatever they are now) for a pre-made deck. I haven't played Magic in a while and I sold off most of my collection. Although I never really collected them, I was in it for the game. I still kept all my decks because you never know who you'll run into :D

After all my friends started to move away and stuff we picked up MTGO for awhile and I love it. We all still love Magic but its not the same as getting together with your friends IRL and having a game last 5 hours till the wee hours. Ah, good times.

Heres an interesting question: Did anyone start collecting TFs and then move to other things or did you start with something else that eventually extend itself to TFs?

For me I started with TFs but as a kid I had a lot of JOEs and TMNT stuff. It was easy to get back into JOEs as an adult but I havent really seen anything TMNT that I care for.

My childhood consisted of the BIG THREE, Star Wars, TFs and GI Joe. With various other toy lines sprinkled in too, He Man, MASK, etc. From junior high to my mid 20s I didnt collect anything. Started with SW POTF2 but all that ended abruptly with the TRU commemorative reissues and the TF Collection Japanese reissues.

The GI Joe 25th line was easy for me to start collecting - that line was awesome. If you find a Renegades Storm Shadow, hook me up!

My big three was TFs, JOE and TMNT lol. Voltron is up there too though aside from a diecast yellow lion from a garage sale, I never owned any of them.

As for Storm Shadow, I'm not the guy to help you with that. I haven't hunted in months. It's mostly to do with my inexperience with the area I'm living and the mere fact that I dislike New Orleans so much I'd rather not even try. I don't even like driving to the Wal-Mart. Everything here was designed to be a pain in the ass. So when I buy something it's 99.9% on the internet now.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My main thing is collecting Transformers toys.

Very rarely will I make exceptions & collect other robots from different toy line/brands.

these rare exceptions include as follows: (1)The robotech VF-1 skull leader designed mold with the jetfire designed robot head. I have the robotech VF-1 skull leader reissue. I have the masterpiece VF-1 Toynami skull leader toy. I own the masterpiece macross skull leader toy. (2)Tkara's 1990 brave toy line,I own two toys from this line. which are the new mold 7 changer,which "ISN'T" the recolored sixshot mold. I own the extremly rare Dino-geist toy mold,I got it because had a grimlock beast head & neck,it looks like a upgraded grimlock toy that was maybe meant for the 1990 Transformers "Zone" toy line. (3) I own two Bandai Dinozone/dinozaurs toys. the ultra sized Red T-rex that transforms into a robot. the 2nd evil ultra sized leader of the dinozone called draconus.

the only comics,I collect are transformers comics. the only DVD's cartoons,I collect are transformers themed DVD's. I haven't played video games since 1988,so,I don't collect any video games not even TF themed video games.

Ever since IDW took over the TF Comics liscensed. I'm dis-pleased with reading VARIOUS IDW TF comic stories because their just awfully written stories with tons of reboots,re-writes & so forth. I often feel like throwing out all 28 years worth of marvel,DW & IDW TF comics or selling them to my local comic book store. Recent example the Chaos saga was the worst thing I ever had the dis-pleasure of reading.

My big three was TFs, JOE and TMNT lol. Voltron is up there too though aside from a diecast yellow lion from a garage sale, I never owned any of them.

Have you seen the newest TMNT toys coming out? The classics are going to sit nicely on my shelves! The toys from the new cartoon look great too. Just in case you didnt see them:

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=216&itemid=18236

• 2 weeks later...

I just started collecting TFs and Im already running out of space to display em.. so I will do my best not to jump on any other Toy Lines.. but damn this plastic crack addiction has gotten the best of me so far! Over 270figs in under 4months Im ILL!!!!!

My collecting of toys is like what MMA is to martial arts. Mixed but primarily of mainstream lines. Typical 80's kid, i mainly collect lines from my childhood that get reinvented and look cool to me. And i supplement with whatever other cool stuff i see, usually just a few pieces of a line that look good. Im a MISB kinda guy. Only on rare occasions will i open or buy loose. If i do, i usually have a spare sealed one to display. Thank God im not a completest.

Ongoing collections (active store releases):

Transformers

Thundercats (current)

Clone Wars

Marvel Legends (now that its active again, needs me a Steve Rogers variant!!!)

Ongoing per coolness:

GIJOE (only certain figures, no animated *bleh*, SDCC Soundwave/Destro will be a nice compliment to last years Starscream/Commander)

Marvel Universe (really picky over these, hate most of them, red hulk sucked me in)

Hot Wheels (rarely)

Old Stuff (dead lines but displaying on my shelf):

DC Universe (kinda done with it)

Hellboy (Ung Rama, Kroenen, and Wink only)

UFC Jakks/Round 5 (gonna try and get BJ to sign himself this weekend at Great Aloha Run)

Spawn (4 figs from the covers wave of 'Christmas' and 'Halloween' spawn)

Marvel Legends (Toybiz, RIP, done)

Digimon (Blackwargreymon, Gold Wargreymon, and some other dude only)

G Gundam 12" (Shuffle Delegation + Gundam Spiegal)

Zoids (assorted)

Old School Power Ranger Zords (MMPR and the one after that only)

and some other vintage 80's stuff sealed, in addition to all the loose stuff from my childhood.

See me on hoarders, toy edition

I didn't get back into collecting Transformers right away. In the mid 90's got caught up on the comic craze, more so because for the first time I really enjoyed comic books. That rolled over into the toy biz figure lines for X-Men, Spiderman etc. After awhile I laid off the comics and figures and went to hockey cards for a couple of years.

Sometime before I ended that, I began buying a lot of the Beast Wars for my nephews and got into Transformers all over again. Around that time I discovered Ebay and my collecting had begun. It was slow going at first, but by the time RID hit I was into it neck deep and it's been that way ever since.

I dabbled in Marvel Legends, some Robotech (but it's just way too insanely expensive) and just random stuff I think is cool.

I will give credit to a couple of shows that kind of helped me back toward Transformers. The original Power Rangers, and Super Human Samurai Cyber Squad.

• 1 month later...

Let's see...

I started being a collector with TF's, then moved to Microman after Kicker(Superlink), then to GI Joe again after Kicker(Energon), then to Halo(I have Cortana, Halo 3 Master Chief, also a couple of ODST's i think, got them loose at a local convention, all black figures, then to 1:18 scale compatible appliances and accessories(AKA Sylvanian Family et al, then Marvel Universe, other 1:18 scale figs(Star Wars, Star Trek, WWE Build and Brawl, etc.), then SD Gundams, and finally revoltech Queen's Blade...

I am in an odd place with TFs right now. I am not interested in Prime, my infatuation with CHUG has dwindled down (not sure if that is because there is nothing new coming relatively soon) I am completely over movie toys (I am almost ready to put a lot on ebay or on the endcap) and the only bots I have picked up lately are the last two Encores and Voyager Optimus Prime. I am actually shifting focus to GI Joe now. Catching up on 25th stuff and getting ready for disappointment in the next movie line.

transformers of course but also anything that resembles a huge robot.

loving the kotobukiya armored core figs. they're very reminicent of the gundam models but i think they're so much cooler as they have more detail.

joes absolutely. just got in the bbts exclusive slaughters marauders and dreadnoks (mostly for the dreadnoks, though)

and have to mention minimates.

absolutely love these guys. recently had to cancel a bunch of preordered 'mates simply because i have so many that at this point it's basically just getting rehashes of characters i already have (though i did get all the marvel vs capcom ones)

do miss the dc 'mates though.

Archived