Holidays by Hasbro, Transformers from Hell - Freedom is Not the Right of All Sentient Beings?

BaCon

I'm kind of shocked by the amount of complacency on this thread. Yeah, it's China, and we probably could have assumed factory conditions weren't awesome. Yes, other companies probably have factories that are just as bad. But now that these specific allegations are in front of our faces, don't we have some responsibility as adult humans from one of the earth's wealthiest countries to weigh the needs of these kids against our desire for cheap toys?

I mean seriously, I love this hobby. I want those Transformer Prime figures something fierce. But I just don't see how I can give Hasbro another penny until they address this. Giving up some toys is a pretty minor gesture in the face of these kinds of abuses.

And yes, I know that many of these workers are happy to have the job, no matter how horrible it is. Honestly, I want them to keep having that job. I just want them to have safe, sane, healthy working conditions. If it means Deluxes suddenly cost $15-20, so be it.

Americans are a great paradox. We want things cheap, but we want top dollar to make cheap things. Can't have it both ways. That's why companies go to China so they can make it cheap and satisfy Americans' need to be cheap when buying things. You can't have quality working conditions in China AND pay only $10 for a Deluxe. That's not how it works.

And it's not just Hasbro. Damn near any manufactured product you put your hands on is the same way. Consumer electronics, furniture, clothing... anything made in China has the same conditions. So what are you going to do? Buy only MADE IN USA product? Good luck finding that. Besides, companies have found loopholes to make the stuff in China anyways AND get the MADE IN USA seal put on it. They only have to make 51% of it here. The other 49% can come from anywhere.

If you want to be mad at Hasbro, have at it. You better also be mad at Apple, Sony, Sauder.....

Yup. We want to be paid the most and spend the least amount possible. That's why Americans are losing jobs over seas. A very vicious cycle.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Americans are a great paradox. We want things cheap, but we want top dollar to make cheap things. Can't have it both ways. That's why companies go to China so they can make it cheap and satisfy Americans' need to be cheap when buying things. You can't have quality working conditions in China AND pay only $10 for a Deluxe. That's not how it works.

And it's not just Hasbro. Damn near any manufactured product you put your hands on is the same way. Consumer electronics, furniture, clothing... anything made in China has the same conditions. So what are you going to do? Buy only MADE IN USA product? Good luck finding that. Besides, companies have found loopholes to make the stuff in China anyways AND get the MADE IN USA seal put on it. They only have to make 51% of it here. The other 49% can come from anywhere.

If you want to be mad at Hasbro, have at it. You better also be mad at Apple, Sony, Sauder.....

That a lot of other companies have factories in China does not absolve these factories of the conditions within them, nor us of supporting that business.

First, while it is possible, even likely, that other companies' factories have lousy working conditions, it's a little too easy to lump them all together. As an earlier poster pointed out, this factory doesn't even measure up to Chinese labor laws or Hasbro's stated policies.

Finally, not all goods are created equal. If you're buying clothes for your kids and all you can afford are clothes made in China, that's a different thing than really needing that new Starscream for your display shelf full of Starscreams. It's one thing to say, "Hey, that's the way of the world, I can't change it," and another thing to say, "Hey, that's the way of the world, I'm going to spend my disposable income supporting it."

I for one don't think I can throw up my hands and say that, since lots of companies make stuff in China, I'm going to keep buying exactly what I want regardless of the effect on other people even when specific abuses are brought to my attention.

Like I said, I can't curse one product made in China without cursing them all in good faith. Like this keyboard I'm typing on...

Yes, combat the global trade laws. A small scale (and temporary) boycott isnt going to do anything. Sure, Hasbro is sending their reps in right now to investigate, but minute their gone, back comes the rubber hoses.

Also, this was pure sensationalistic journalism. Almost makes you wonder the actual reason behind it's writing.

What would be your goal of boycotting Hasbro (or any of these companies)? Put them out of business? How would these workers be better off then?

I think if we really want to help these people, a better solution would be to contact these companies, contact politicians, and voice your concern. Start or join a grass root campaign. Maybe get some new laws into affect that would require better policing of work conditions for those providing goods and services to US companies.

I'm not saying that this approach would necessarily bring positive results, but I think it would be more effective than boycotting...

As I said earlier, it's not that we should want to shut the factory down, it's that we should want to improve conditions there. A full-on boycott would be effective in communicating concerns to the company, because companies care primarily about their bottom line. Voicing your concern while continuing to support the behavior with your dollars is not going to change anything. If Hasbro gets a letter from you and a $50 order on HasbroToyShop.com, guess which one is going to count for more?

I've seen a few people now say that the only way to fix this is to change trade laws to make producing in these countries less economically efficient. That might or might not be a good idea, but we the customers can also create economic inefficiencies. If it is in a company's best interest to improve conditions, it will do so. If enough people cared enough to refrain from buying their toys, that would happen. As for laws to improve working conditions, again, this factory isn't following the laws already on the books in China.

Also, this was pure sensationalistic journalism. Almost makes you wonder the actual reason behind it's writing.

Um, the original story isn't journalism. It's a press release from the Institute for Global Labour and Human Rights. To quote from their website: "The Institute for Global Labour and Human Rights (the Institute) is a non-profit 501©(3) human rights organization dedicated to the promotion and defense of internationally recognized worker rights in the global economy."

To quote from a writeup on Bleeding Cool: "Previously known as the NLC, the Institute was one of the first bodies to raise the issue of sweatshop labor in the mid nineties, by targeting Kathie Lee Gifford for her Nicaraguan-produced line, and have continued with many other clothing and sneaker manufacturers."

So, yeah. That's their "actual reason" for writing it. Is it biased? Probably, but it's not hiding that bias. I would guess that the sensational tone and cheesy headline were an attempt to grab the attention of whichever editors get this. Which, incidentally, they have not done. In a quick Google search the only pickup I saw was on Transformer sites, Bleeding Cool and the Providence Business Journal. You know what that means? It means almost no one even knows about this except hardcore Transformers fans, and if we don't let Hasbro know we're unhappy with it, no one will.

Whatever it was written for there was an agenda.

But Hasbro has been made aware of this article and the response. They are on it, but that wont get a report betcha.

It looks like Hasbro is already looking into it.

But Hasbro has been made aware of this article and the response. They are on it, but that wont get a report betcha.

Hasbro Responds

In other words. Hasbro has stated the normal response and business will continue as usual. Especially since this article will be forgotten with in a week

If someone expected that 'report' to change things, they failed. Only one thing will spur change: profit loss. It's the world we live in.

Archived