Holidays by Hasbro, Transformers from Hell - Freedom is Not the Right of All Sentient Beings?

BaCon

I'm kind of shocked by the amount of complacency on this thread. Yeah, it's China, and we probably could have assumed factory conditions weren't awesome. Yes, other companies probably have factories that are just as bad. But now that these specific allegations are in front of our faces, don't we have some responsibility as adult humans from one of the earth's wealthiest countries to weigh the needs of these kids against our desire for cheap toys?

I mean seriously, I love this hobby. I want those Transformer Prime figures something fierce. But I just don't see how I can give Hasbro another penny until they address this. Giving up some toys is a pretty minor gesture in the face of these kinds of abuses.

And yes, I know that many of these workers are happy to have the job, no matter how horrible it is. Honestly, I want them to keep having that job. I just want them to have safe, sane, healthy working conditions. If it means Deluxes suddenly cost $15-20, so be it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only problem with Transformers is most of the original molds are still owned by Takara. so those would still have to be made overseas.

Except that Hasbro and the other distributors have enough leverage that production could be moved elsewhere if it was deemed more profitable.

Which is why Sweat shops seem to be a necessary evil. Yet its been shown that the cost of making all these things in the states is cheaper if you take in shipping, tariffs, customs and all the rest in outsourcing

I know, in the grand scheme of things, it won't make a difference, but I personally can't be as naive as I have been with my purchases from Hasbro. I won't stop coming here to talk about the comics, or personal stories of what the brand has meant to me in the past (it's just something that's been a part of me for too long to stop cold turkey). It's just bad karma. Who knows if my kid would end up in such working conditions - you know, for a buck... I won't pass judgement on any of my fellow collectors if they intend to look the other way. That's my two cents.

I know, in the grand scheme of things, it won't make a difference, but I personally can't be as naive as I have been with my purchases from Hasbro. I won't stop coming here to talk about the comics, or personal stories of what the brand has meant to me in the past (it's just something that's been a part of me for too long to stop cold turkey). It's just bad karma. Who knows if my kid would end up in such working conditions - you know, for a buck... I won't pass judgement on any of my fellow collectors if they intend to look the other way. That's my two cents.

Yes, because disaster will strike, the U.S. government will not exist, all child labor laws will disappear, everyone will think it's okay to put children to work again and your child will be forced to mine coal. :roll

I'm kind of shocked by the amount of complacency on this thread. Yeah, it's China, and we probably could have assumed factory conditions weren't awesome. Yes, other companies probably have factories that are just as bad. But now that these specific allegations are in front of our faces, don't we have some responsibility as adult humans from one of the earth's wealthiest countries to weigh the needs of these kids against our desire for cheap toys?

I mean seriously, I love this hobby. I want those Transformer Prime figures something fierce. But I just don't see how I can give Hasbro another penny until they address this. Giving up some toys is a pretty minor gesture in the face of these kinds of abuses.

And yes, I know that many of these workers are happy to have the job, no matter how horrible it is. Honestly, I want them to keep having that job. I just want them to have safe, sane, healthy working conditions. If it means Deluxes suddenly cost $15-20, so be it.

Americans are a great paradox. We want things cheap, but we want top dollar to make cheap things. Can't have it both ways. That's why companies go to China so they can make it cheap and satisfy Americans' need to be cheap when buying things. You can't have quality working conditions in China AND pay only $10 for a Deluxe. That's not how it works.

And it's not just Hasbro. Damn near any manufactured product you put your hands on is the same way. Consumer electronics, furniture, clothing... anything made in China has the same conditions. So what are you going to do? Buy only MADE IN USA product? Good luck finding that. Besides, companies have found loopholes to make the stuff in China anyways AND get the MADE IN USA seal put on it. They only have to make 51% of it here. The other 49% can come from anywhere.

If you want to be mad at Hasbro, have at it. You better also be mad at Apple, Sony, Sauder.....

My thing is, yes its horrible. No, I dont like it. However, if it would mean stop buying TFs, it would also mean not buying anything made in China and from Chinese made parts.

Thats impossible.

Its a problem much larger than me.

What I really have to ask myself is what do I need to spend my money on. Is it impossible to not buy things from China, I personally don't think so. In fact, I'm confident that it is possible to completely avoid everything made in China, if I was so compelled. Do I think that my personal buying habits would change anything? Sure, it'd change how I feel about where my money goes. Maybe, I'm just not the type of personality that concedes something because I figure it's the way it is. I'd be a miserable person and too cynical for anyone to stand. It's funny, when I read about our history here in the US, I take pride in the victorious underdog. When I read about our Bill of Rights, Constitution, and the Civil Rights movements, it reminds me that no odds are so overwhelming that I should concede something to be a foregone conclusion. I hate when it seems overblown greed's take on capitalism tramples that proud pedigree. Sorry, but I needed to get that off my chest.

Its not just buying American. Those same companies still use Chinese products. Hell, think of the potential growth of a domestic company if more buy American. Welp thats more computers, office supplies, and stuff they would need.

I mean, its unavoidable at the time. I can only hope work conditions change for those people. It looks like Hasbro is already looking into it.

Might I add, Im posting from my phone. Wanna guess where that came from?

Archived