Should Hasbro commission an adult Transformers cartoon?

Goktimus Prime

Adult-oriented Transformers Animation  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should Hasbro make an adult-oriented TF cartoon?

• I'd love to see an adult-oriented Classicsverse cartoon
    • I'd love to see an adult-oriented TF cartoon but it doesn't have to be Classicsverse
    • I think Transformers cartoons should remain being primarily made for kids
    • Other (please specify)

No no, I don't mean something weird like KISS Play, I mean something cool like G.I. Joe Resolute. I was watching G.I. Joe Resolute on DVD today and watched the special features where people like Hasbro's Steve Drucker spoke about how Hasbro intentionally wanted to make a G.I. Joe series for adult Joe fans - realising that many fans of Joe fans are adults now.

So it's got me thinking... why doesn't Hasbro do the same for Transformers?? Isn't Transformers a bigger franchise than G.I. Joe? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I'd really like to see something like Resolute made for Transformers -- short episodes (that can be later compiled into a continuous movie) and released directly to home video (maybe later aired on TV during later more adult viewing hours, like Adult Swim). Having shorter eps means they might be able to spend more money on animation quality as they seem to have done with Resolute.

If Hasbro were to go ahead and do this - I'd personally like to see them draw characters from the Classicsverse toy lines. But perhaps some of you would rather they just be given complete freedom with choice of characters and aesthetic designs, independent of the toys.

Imagine this as an animated cartoon! :)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have that, it's called Transformers: The Movie.

Seriously though, I think a better way to do this is to adapt some of the better Marvel Comics story lines into a TV series. And remember, killing characters doesn't mean that it's going to automatically make for a good animated series.

I'd love LOVE to see that but to be it dosen't necessarily have to be Classicverse and if it is Classicverse, I'd love to see characters like Drift, Terradive, Spacecase, Mindset and a few others being used in the adult styled animation. Mix it up a bit with Reveal the Shield and Generations and HFTD figures and make the thing more multi faceted. When it comes to Transformers, it is indeed a BIG universe and I think theres enough to play with to create a fully involved adult piece and a masterful story.

No. Absolutely not. It's a toyline, the media should always be made with kids in mind. Now, if the show is well written, with good plot and characterization, so adults can appreciate it as well as kids, then that's a different story. But even then, it should be done as a kids' show that adults can also enjoy, not primarily for adults.

I kinda nominate this guy if it's 3-D but with a little tweaking on the direcvtion and a lot more happening. Just a bit of what could be...

We have that, it's called Transformers: The Movie.

Seriously though, I think a better way to do this is to adapt some of the better Marvel Comics story lines into a TV series. And remember, killing characters doesn't mean that it's going to automatically make for a good animated series.

In G.I. Joe Resolute, one death scene that got to me was when the two Joes who were with Tunnel Rat fell off the Cobra stratellite that they were attempting to sabotage. They should have screamed though (who the hell quietly falls to their death??). Killing characters - like any other plot device - can work well or poorly depending on how it's executed. Pumping up the body count alone won't really mature a story; a character-driven story where the audience is prompted to _care_ about the characters... that's what will mature the story.

No. Absolutely not. It's a toyline, the media should always be made with kids in mind. Now, if the show is well written, with good plot and characterization, so adults can appreciate it as well as kids, then that's a different story. But even then, it should be done as a kids' show that adults can also enjoy, not primarily for adults.

That's what we had with Beast Wars. It hit a really good balance between kids and adults... never seen anything that good ever since. :(

But G.I. Joe is a toyline that's primarily made for kids too. G.I. Joe has adult fans, but the majority of people buying the toys would be children; just like with Transformers. So my question is - if Hasbro was willing to give Joe fans an adult mini-series (and I'm suggesting a mini-series here -- I'm not suggesting that Hasbro invest in a full-length series for adults; that's what they did with Beast Machines and it bombed) and if it worked for G.I. Joe, why can't it work for Transformers???

Failing that, I really wish they would go back to writing TF stories aimed at kids and adults... but sadly they don't. Series like Animated and Prime are still very kid-focused throwing just a few scraps of G1 references for adult fans which some people go crazy about, but there's little story content there that's aimed at engaging adults. Oh Beast Wars... how we miss you so.

:note Neeeever gonna happennnnnn :note

Agreed, there is no money in it for Hasbro so they are not going to waste their time making one

Archived